Notices

WORLD DEBUT - Do Luck Evo X Duckbill Trunk lid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks everyone. i definitely didnt want to lose my FAST function for the trunk cause i love just being able to pop it without digging for my keys or reaching in the door, especially with my hands full since it is a dd. well worth the time it took, and everyone around here just looks at me amazed when i can reach down and open my trunk when it looks like theres nothing even there until you bend down, very stealthy.

if anyone in IL were to get the trunk and wanted to get this done, i'd definitely be willing to help you out, and it'd only cost you lunch and a couple 's.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
couldnt bear to drill into this beautiful piece, so,as promised, here's where i relocated the trunk button to:

Attachment 147511

stalk me if u like, i suppose. though im probably the only white ralliart in illinois with my setup, so im not gonna be that hard to miss if you're in the western burbs. either way, took about an hour, including removing all the crap from the trunk so i could cut the wiring from the original connector and extend it from the trunk through the grommet in the back and re-solder the connector on where it currently sits. well worth the effort, imo.
That looks awesome man. Whenever I can actually afford the cf trunk, I will strongly consider getting the non fast key one and letting you do that to my car. Very good idea, very clean execution.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

sure thing, just lemme know
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

quote for carbon fiber no keyhole to 33313 please.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
couldnt bear to drill into this beautiful piece, so,as promised, here's where i relocated the trunk button to:

Attachment 147511

stalk me if u like, i suppose. though im probably the only white ralliart in illinois with my setup, so im not gonna be that hard to miss if you're in the western burbs. either way, took about an hour, including removing all the crap from the trunk so i could cut the wiring from the original connector and extend it from the trunk through the grommet in the back and re-solder the connector on where it currently sits. well worth the effort, imo.

Clean job!!! I think I'm going to go ahead and do this mod before I get the trunk. Questions:

Did you have to remove the rear bumper to do this?

Our EVOX rear bumper is obviously different than your Ralliart. When you drilled the hole, was there also a metal support behind the bumper cover, does your Ralliart also have the same metal support?

If yours does have a metal support behind the bumper cover, this thickness is obviously thicker than the trunk where the button is mounted. what did you do to modify the buttoon so the retainer clip is still used (did you use some other method to hold the button in place)?

Thanks for the help!!
Old Feb 21, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by theFLASH12
Clean job!!! I think I'm going to go ahead and do this mod before I get the trunk. Questions:

Did you have to remove the rear bumper to do this?

Our EVOX rear bumper is obviously different than your Ralliart. When you drilled the hole, was there also a metal support behind the bumper cover, does your Ralliart also have the same metal support?

If yours does have a metal support behind the bumper cover, this thickness is obviously thicker than the trunk where the button is mounted. what did you do to modify the buttoon so the retainer clip is still used (did you use some other method to hold the button in place)?

Thanks for the help!!
1. No, I didn't have to remove the bumper on mine. When you pull the inner trunk liner out and follow the wiring harness from where it splits below the driver side c-pillar, there is one group of wires that go into the trunk-lid and another that runs to the back of the trunk and through a rubber grommet. I tapped into the wiring coming from the trunk-lid harness and ran that along the inside of the trunk and through that grommet in the left rear of the trunk. Once through the grommet, if you look up from underneath the car, you should be able to see the loose wires you just ran hanging down. Then I pulled them across the back of the car, having to go up and over a couple of braces and such so it would be run straight across, but not a big deal really. I then ran the wires out of the opening next to the lic. lights so I could solder on the connector that I earlier cut off of the trunk-lid harness. Then I drilled out the hole for the button, using a 1" hole saw, and then used a 1/8" drill bit on a drill and some sideways pressure on the bit, I notched out the areas of the hole where the screws on the back of the button would need to fit through. (If you look at the back of the button, you will see it's not a totally perfect circle and understand where I had to notch it out.) Then just put the wires back into the hole next to the license lights and out the hole I just cut, plugged in the button connector, and put the button in the hole I drilled using the original clip to hold it in place.

2. From above, I'm sure you figured, no there was no metal support at the point in the bumper where I installed the button itself. There is a metal re-inforcement bar directly behind where I installed this, but it does not extend all the way out above the license plate on my car. Just plastic bumper for me, so it worked out fairly well.

3. I didn't have that piece to worry about, so I was able to re-use the original clip, however, I'm sure that little piece of support, if there is one, will not greatly affect the structural integrity of the entire rear end and should be easily modified with some good tin snips or a small handsaw to cut a piece out large enough to retain the use of the original clip. Otherwise, if you can get ahold of a good, high quality, industrial 2-part fast-dry epoxy, a good bit of that on the rear flange of the button should be enough to hold it in place since it weighs very little, and for extra support, once thats on there and installed, if you do go the epoxy route, you can use a couple zip-ties to hold the button wiring taut against the rest of the trunk harness to apply a bit more upward pressure on the button to prevent it from dislodging.

Good luck!!
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

u need to move to jersey so u can help me out lol
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:33 PM

looks pretty gay
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Need a price for the Do Luck shipped to 95366 Ca CF version with key hole.

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

hey 03chi is that a drip on the r/s tail??? mayb you shold take it back and let them redo it. clean job on the button relocation

Last edited by MACKLIN; Feb 28, 2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kevinf_69
hey 03chi is that a drip on the r/s tail??? mayb you shold take it back and let them redo it. clean job on the button relocation
lol, good eye. that pic was actually taken immediately after a wash, so its water dripping from behind the tail lamp lens. the painters did an awesome job, no runs/fisheyes/nothing on the trunk; lol, i think i would have killed them if they messed up my trunk, especially for something that bad.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

ohh ok lol just trying to look out. i would have done the same.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

are there anymore pics of evo's with do luck trunk. i wanna see more............
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

I'll have pics this weekend!

03chi-town0Z, i think i'll take you up on that offer. I was sent a lid without the keyhole so i need to relocate the button. Yes, I can provide both food and !!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
john how about for entertainment?

Quick Reply: WORLD DEBUT - Do Luck Evo X Duckbill Trunk lid