Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Evo IX: Future Classic?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX: Future Classic?

So, what do you think? Most importantly, why?

With lots of speculation about the next generation of sports cars/ GTs, I wonder how the Evo IX will stand the test of time. Is the Evo IX another disposable Japanese car destined to be forgotten with the next model release? Or will the Evo IX be a memorable car, more along the lines of the E30 M3? Which is a more realistic expectation for you: hold for the long run or move on to the next hot car?

If you wouldn't mind, please include some demographics.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

The 8's will, the 9's won't :d
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

I believe both generation's will be sought out after, since the 4g63 is such a great and proven platform.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

The most rare (and not because I have one) is the evo 8 MR's. There were 1000 imported to the USA. Based on numbers those would be the rarest. You can drive around quiet some time and never see a 8 MR. 9 MR's on the other hand are a dime a dozen in comparison to the 8 MR's.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by monies41
The most rare (and not because I have one) is the evo 8 MR's. There were 1000 imported to the USA. Based on numbers those would be the rarest. You can drive around quiet some time and never see a 8 MR. 9 MR's on the other hand are a dime a dozen in comparison to the 8 MR's.
Wow never knew that bit of information. I guess I'll be keeping mine for quite some time.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

I believe that both the VIIIs and IXs will be much sought after in years and years to come. Believe it or not, the majority of Americans still have no idea what an Evo is. Evos have only been here in the States for almost four years. Compare that to Porsches or Lamborghinis, which have been in the USDM for almost 60 and 40 years respectively. The X, with its broader market appeal and its increased production, will only spread the word of the Evo's existence and improve desirability. The Evo is a hell of a car. If it would look as great as it performs, it would've made better headway from the get-go. It'll just have to get extremely popular with time. Make no mistake: The Evo will continue to grow and grow in popularity and will eventually become a classic. To me, it already is. My Evo is the first car that I want to keep for a long time. I plan on paying it off and having it forever, actually.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by monies41
I wouldn't call the VIII MR a rare car overall but if your talking colors, then the RR VIII MR is the rarest and therefore might be the most sought after USDM evo in the future.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Let's not forget about the value for dollar factor, especially now in the used car market, hell, even in the new car market, with all those huge discounts. Evos are becoming easier and easier for inexperienced teenage drivers to buy. Consequently, many Evos will be totalled. Enough are totalled already in the hands of slightly older and slightly more experienced drivers. Also, many Evos are poorly modded. Stock Evos are extremely rare. All these factors will make good, clean Evos much more collectible.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
So, what do you think? Most importantly, why?

With lots of speculation about the next generation of sports cars/ GTs, I wonder how the Evo IX will stand the test of time. Is the Evo IX another disposable Japanese car destined to be forgotten with the next model release? Or will the Evo IX be a memorable car, more along the lines of the E30 M3? Which is a more realistic expectation for you: hold for the long run or move on to the next hot car?

If you wouldn't mind, please include some demographics.
ARE U TALKIN ABOUT THE IX BECAUSE U OWN ONE?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

With the amount of people who are wrecking them and modifying them, stock clean examples will be worth a good deal of money in 10 years. Im not saying millions, but I think and owner of a stock Evo VIII/IX will be able to sell their car in10 years for more money than they bought it for, depending on condition of course.

Will the IX be worth more than the VIII? Id assume so, but you never can tell. And yes, RR MRs are very rare.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

None... They aren't limited cars. In 10 years there will be better cars. These cars will never be classics
Old Apr 22, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turtlelancer
None... They aren't limited cars. In 10 years there will be better cars. These cars will never be classics
The not limited Supra Turbo now goes for over $60,000 in stock form, even though better cars exist now. In terms of being limited, what would you call a car that has less than 5,000 US sales each year?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Actually your wrong about the VIII MR it will be rare but the 04 RS is actually the rarest
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:26 PM

Lets hope the IX's become classics..hopefully that will bump the resell value when the time comes.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the chosen one
ARE U TALKIN ABOUT THE IX BECAUSE U OWN ONE?
what's with the all caps, man? forum rules - no ALL CAPS posts. that's pretty ricer. and yes, i own a 9.

quick thought: 8's were from MY03-05, 9's MY06, though sold 06-07 as an 06 model. sounds like there 9's should be rarer.

lastly, i am under no impression that this car, or any car, is some kind of mobile investment. i'm just curious whether you think the Evo IX (and i pick the IX because it's the last generation of this body style/ chassis/ 4g63) will still strike you as cool when serious cars like the skyline or the M3 come out, and even the generation after those.

to clarify even more - with few exceptions, the next generation of any car pretty much sweeps the previous generation into forgettable oblivion. sometimes, though, the latest issue highlights why the earlier examples were great. like MK2 VWs seem so cool now, especially when the 4th gen of golf and jetta came out. or how the E46 made me appreciate the original E30 as the true meaning of M3. or how the 2002-2005 American market Civic SI was about as wrong as two boys kissing and way off the mark from, let's say, the CRX.

Quick Reply: Evo IX: Future Classic?