Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Alluminum 4B11T

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gilliam
i think this is gonna be just like the k series in the fact that everyone talked **** about it and didnt want to give up the b series. Then when ppl start building them and doing real research they saw how much better they were. I dont think after these years mitsubishi has not came up with nething better.
yup .... and all these people doubdint will b the ones driving them and praising the engine

yall need to just stop, until the evo is out
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
yup .... and all these people doubdint will b the ones driving them and praising the engine

yall need to just stop, until the evo is out
Ya. Lets just wait and see how this Chrysler/Hyundai motor is going to be. Oh ya, the Evo has be out for a while now.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spec'd
Good find on that video.

That motor is similar to most contemporary motors these days.
A trend of absolute GARBAGE. Plastic valve covers, plastic intake manifolds,
light weight open decked aluminum block, light weight internals.
ABSOLUTE GARBAGE !!!

I can guarantee you that 4b11 will not sustain the abuse the
the 4G63T is capable of withstanding.

Sort of reminds me of the QR25DE used in the Nissan Sentra SpecV.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...5de/index.html

Motors like the QR25DE are the main reason why I dumped my Sentra.
Motors like the 4B11 are the reason why, I will keep my Evo VIII.

Also Changing cams ( correctly ) will now require the replacement of
those shim buckets to obtain proper clearances.

That means a trip to the dealer. I bet those wont be cheap either.
Plus good luck on your local Mitsubishi dealer having those in stock.
I can +1 to the fact that the QR25 on the SpecV was absolute ****. I had that car for about 3 years and the engine was falling apart at the seems. I took it out AutoXing one time and other than that, it was a DD for me and though I drive spiritedly, I always took care of it.

Though I don't particularly agree with Mitsu going with an AL block, I'm reserving final judgement to the final product. I think Mitsu knows they're messing with huge name, and I really don't think they're going to produce "crap".
Old Apr 27, 2007, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

wasnt mitsu the one that provided the motor to hyundai?

and not the other way around?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TunerES
Do you think the Alluminum engine will be any good? I know the 4G63 was cast iron. I heard BMW is making Alluminum also. I am somewhat dissapointed that they changed the engine, they could have made it better.

How are you disappointed when you don't even know what the final product will be?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turb0z-MR
Though I don't particularly agree with Mitsu going with an AL block, I'm reserving final judgement to the final product. I think Mitsu knows they're messing with huge name, and I really don't think they're going to produce "crap".
^What he said.
Old May 3, 2007, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

Has any car mag started sniffing and testin this new engine!? Wat r they waiting for!!! Dont Give me Xcuses! Give Me RESULTS!!! (them madagascar pinguiens r Funny as hell!)
Old May 3, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Would it be possible to fit the 4B11T into a current CT9A IX chassis? If this engine is good, I rather just swap it into my car now with the 5 speed tranny and call it a day.

I don't think Mitsu would come out with garbage especially if it's going to be used in motorsport competition, it just doesn't make any sense.
Old May 4, 2007, 04:47 PM

I would be more concerned with the new head than the block if I was a future X owner.
Old May 9, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrSmith
I would be more concerned with the new head than the block if I was a future X owner.
whyfor?
Old May 10, 2007, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Alu-alloys have also gotten MUCH MUCH stronger. many frames are now being constructed of alu-alloy
Old May 10, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MrEvo2U
I am confident that the Al 4B11 will be better than the 4G63. It is lighter, repairable, conducts heat better, etc. Mitsubishi also changed the bore/stroke and bore spacing. Although it is still 2.0L to homologate for WRC, it will have a shorter stroke and larger bore spacing. You know what that means don't you? You are going to see 800 hp street evo X bored/stroked to 2.7L? which will spool 35R and 37R much better. Imagine how quick an evo X with DSG will be. It will be like AMS' automatic GSX with 37R.

And.. you forgot to mention the weight reduction, 50lbs on the engine alone. Ther Road and track magazine(new issue) gives many detail on the new engine.

Carlos
Old May 10, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TunerES
I know they're cheaper but don't you also get less performance? What's the problem though? Or is Cast Iron becoming too old, etc? not good enough?

Cheaper? how do you figure? last time I checked a aluminum block cost more than a cast iron.

Carlos
Old May 10, 2007, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cpoevo
AL will make a nice engine. Handling hi boost is questionable, you might have to sleeve it.

R/C cars use whats called an ABC engine, the block and head are Aluminum, and the sleeve is Brass with a Chrome layer. What is the reason I mentioned this? Well i have some engines that are .25-.28 CID and make over 3 HP. So aluminum can make some HP. These RC engines are aircooled too.

We will just have to wait and see though before we will really know.
Yes but they are completely different built. The R/C uses nitromethanol with a 14-18% oil mixture, the engines revs to average 35000-40000rpm and 95% of them are 2 stroke.

And yes they are air cooled through the cylinder head fins. Soon I will show my collection(6 nitros,one electric and a 5 ft helicopter with .60cu engine)

Carlos
Old May 10, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Actually aluminum is more expensive than iron and it's not really true that you can get more performance out of a cast iron engine. Properly shaped sleeved aluminum engine will not only be lighter but also as capable as it's iron block counterpart. Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, they all use aluminum engines, I don't think those companies want to save money, aluminum is just a better building material. Aluminum is lighter, conducts heat better, and because it conducts heat better it won;t reach as high of temperature than it's equivalent iron block counterpart. 4G63, although a great engine for it's time, is 25 years old, it's rather heavy based on todays standards, it's not as fuel/emission efficient as todays modern engines. It's time for something new.
I agree with all you said, by the way, you saved me a good paragraph of explaining. Also the aluminium block are much better against build up of coolant crap and oil build up.

Carlos

Quick Reply: Alluminum 4B11T