Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Alluminum 4B11T

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cladden
I am always amazed at how much heat (energy) is wasted in car engines.
That's nothing compared to the energy wasted on message boards!
Old May 14, 2007, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

The only thing that bothers me about the aluminium block is that it will be an open deck (someone confirm). If it is I am hoping they put some heavy duty iron ductile sleeve's. I won't sh@t on honda because they make great na engines. But that was the weak link when boosting. The rdx turbo honda work's but only like 14 psi or so. I've yet to seea block for an rdx, but if it's like the rest of honda's blockes, then you will have problems turning up the boost. Hope the new evo X is not like that
Old May 14, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kobi hit the nail on the head. Im not so much worried about the block being Al, as im worried about the open deck. In the video it was open deck, and its my understanding that the base lancer and the Evo will have the same engine with different compression im guessing. Who knows what will actually be the case, but it would pretty much suck if you had to spend $1200 on aftermarket sleeve install to make decent horsepower... On top of the rest of the rebuild... Especially if the only reason it was coming apart is because you couldnt keep a head gasket on it. As far as the rest of the block goes, Al can be forgiving since its less brittle.
Old May 14, 2007, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrSmile
That's nothing compared to the energy wasted on message boards!
So true!
Old May 14, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
I would have typed it myself but why?

Yep... with stands the heat better...I have removed mine quite a few times for various reasons and its like new.....I wish this stupid argument was over....Turbo DSM guys never dogged out non turbo guys on the forums and NA guys knew their place and respected the turbo'd ones.
Old May 14, 2007, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

OK OK I will not blow up anymore! The Honda ricey comment wasnt aimed at Honda itself its just most of the rice i see are Honda's but u could rice any car. I have been a member of this forum since it first started under a different user name and stopped posting for about 1 1/2 years. I just hate when people post against Mitsu on this forum like saying they arent reliable cars. I dont find this to be a true statement from owning four Mitsu's and yes if u want to call me a fanboy because i love the company that make my favorite cars then u are wright. I agree on the open deck statements made above if u have one of those cylinders woble while pushing more boost then stock it would get ugly but I think mitsu would have thought of that and maybe the bottom mount of the cylinder is rigid enough to withstand more then we think. This block will have to be seen/tested before anybody can make a factual statement on it.
Old May 14, 2007, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm excited to see what the 4B11T will do and have my hopes up for its potential. I just can't see Mitsu dropping a turd on the aftermarket after the success of the 4g63 for nearly 20 years. I'd love to think that they've been doing at least a little R+D in that time and have come up with an even better solution!

Tom
Old May 14, 2007, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by show time
OK OK I will not blow up anymore! The Honda ricey comment wasnt aimed at Honda itself its just most of the rice i see are Honda's but u could rice any car. I have been a member of this forum since it first started under a different user name and stopped posting for about 1 1/2 years. I just hate when people post against Mitsu on this forum like saying they arent reliable cars. I dont find this to be a true statement from owning four Mitsu's and yes if u want to call me a fanboy because i love the company that make my favorite cars then u are wright. I agree on the open deck statements made above if u have one of those cylinders woble while pushing more boost then stock it would get ugly but I think mitsu would have thought of that and maybe the bottom mount of the cylinder is rigid enough to withstand more then we think. This block will have to be seen/tested before anybody can make a factual statement on it.
Won't argue on the mitsu love. All i can say with the new block is that an open deck is gonig to be weak link of this block if it mitsu doesn't sleeve with iron ductile sleeves. The rdx comes with a turbo and is almost sure that the sleeve's were only rated to x # of boost and honda never considered a tuner cranking the boost to 30+ pounds. With that said it could be possible that mitsu only wants the block to boost to X pounds and not over 30 because no dealership is going to warr a block that went over by 15 psi because the owner wanted to go fast. We can only wait and see.
Old May 14, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Tom
I'm excited to see what the 4B11T will do and have my hopes up for its potential. I just can't see Mitsu dropping a turd on the aftermarket after the success of the 4g63 for nearly 20 years. I'd love to think that they've been doing at least a little R+D in that time and have come up with an even better solution!

Tom
I hear you bit the thing that I question on the block, as an example, when honda made the integra type r, they made the jap spec 11:1 (can't remember) and never intended the car to see 13:1 and higher in compression. No manufacture is going to make a motor that can go to 1000 horsepower from the factory( not exotic cars). they are not going to spend the extra money so you can make more power. Correct me if i am wrong but a stock 4g63 motor can go 500 before changing out the internals, right? And after that you have to put pistons and rods and so forth.. Well my thoughts is that the manufacture has a net or a +/- to how tough these motors will be stock. I doubt that they put into the draws that if joey want's a 9 sec evo we will make sure he can. that is why you build your motor to go above and beyond what the company puts together. I just know that I came from open decks, and it was not pretty.
Old May 14, 2007, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Kobi have u seen this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kNtFu9kbEY
It says they have iron sleeves in them
Old May 14, 2007, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by kobi2002
I hear you bit the thing that I question on the block, as an example, when honda made the integra type r, they made the jap spec 11:1 (can't remember) and never intended the car to see 13:1 and higher in compression. No manufacture is going to make a motor that can go to 1000 horsepower from the factory( not exotic cars). they are not going to spend the extra money so you can make more power. Correct me if i am wrong but a stock 4g63 motor can go 500 before changing out the internals, right? And after that you have to put pistons and rods and so forth.. Well my thoughts is that the manufacture has a net or a +/- to how tough these motors will be stock. I doubt that they put into the draws that if joey want's a 9 sec evo we will make sure he can. that is why you build your motor to go above and beyond what the company puts together. I just know that I came from open decks, and it was not pretty.

While your point about not spending any more than they have to is definitely valid, I see the over-engineering as inexpensive insurance to protect against warranty claims. The cars have to take an all out thrashing in stock form and not break to avoid paying out warranty money....so if treated properly and tuned well, they'll hold up to quite a bit.

My EVO made 240whp from the factory and is now making 600whp with only an ARP hardware upgrade on the inside. I'd say that's a pretty good bit of over-engineering. DSMs have been making more than twice the factory power output on stock internals for years and the 2JZ-GTE has done more than three times without flinching. The 4G63 was released in 1989 and the GTE in 1992 so in those 15-19 years I'd like to think that things have improved

Tom
Old May 14, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by show time
Hey Kobi have u seen this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kNtFu9kbEY
It says they have iron sleeves in them
Honda also uses a softer low grade iron sleeve, I heard from A.E.B.S that the sleeves on the honda are a gray iron (whatever that means) only the block are al. The turbo Rdx From my understanding use the same sleeve. I don't know what mitsu will do, I hope they do the right thing cause open deck is scary. I just think they should have done close deck, It will still cool better than a iron conterpart.
Old May 14, 2007, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

sounds good to me.. cant wait to test drive the X
Old May 14, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Tom
While your point about not spending any more than they have to is definitely valid, I see the over-engineering as inexpensive insurance to protect against warranty claims. The cars have to take an all out thrashing in stock form and not break to avoid paying out warranty money....so if treated properly and tuned well, they'll hold up to quite a bit.

My EVO made 240whp from the factory and is now making 600whp with only an ARP hardware upgrade on the inside. I'd say that's a pretty good bit of over-engineering. DSMs have been making more than twice the factory power output on stock internals for years and the 2JZ-GTE has done more than three times without flinching. The 4G63 was released in 1989 and the GTE in 1992 so in those 15-19 years I'd like to think that things have improved

Tom
I hope You are right about the other motors, but all of them are iron. If you build an iron block, you automatically inherit the quality of having a strong engine, via sleeve's even if the manufacture did not intend for it. Al on the other hand is great for a number of things but high horse power on an open deck is not one of them. That is my one and only concern. me, i'll wait 2 years or so to see how it holds up. maybe then it will be just like the first people getting the viii and ten the ix came out better.

Last edited by kobi2002; May 14, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old May 14, 2007, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

I would prefer they just keep it simple and ultra sturdy like the 2jz from Toyota. Big beefy iron block with lots of strong main caps. I dont know if theyll ever build another engine like that from the factory that can handle 1000hp so well.

Quick Reply: Alluminum 4B11T