Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Road and Track MR short writeup with Pics!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
Regardless if it's 33, add tax and other add-ons and it will be 35K. And all those insane markups dealers had on the Evo, I would assume the MR will be their new baby pride and joy and will be heavily marked up over the RS and regular Evo.

Unless you have a prior agreement to pay MSRP, expect 5000 markups or more for months after it comes out just like last year and the MR is even more limited. My local dealer still has markups on all '04s and they said it will remain that way through the year.
But it is a whole lot better than at 35K and 38K OTD.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find this estimated MSRP to be more troubling becaue it is an upward revision of their previous one which was "around an amazingly low $33,000." I believe they were the first magazine to have a full write up on the MR, perhaps they have a good source.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cannonballer
I find this estimated MSRP to be more troubling becaue it is an upward revision of their previous one which was "around an amazingly low $33,000." I believe they were the first magazine to have a full write up on the MR, perhaps they have a good source.
this is true, hopefully the MSRP will not be above 35k because mitsu will have more trouble competing with the lower priced sti
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Talking

In the lead picture it looks like they are corner weighting that Evo with passengers. I have never seen a car magazine photo with that many helmets bouncing around. I hope they all got out for the performance tests .

Last edited by erikgj; Sep 5, 2004 at 06:31 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:08 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by DjTyTanium
Thats true... Everyone keeps complaining about how the MR has all the same features as every other EVO. Well Every other EVO does not have a six speed transmission.... Or Blistien Gas Shocks.... Or a lightened aluminum roof and one piece BBS rims. All this helps the MR to be faster and pull a 0.98G on the skid pad. So where is the MR the exact same as all the rest?
Not everyone intends to mod the car, either. Yes, people actually do drive stock Evos, in which case the MR isn't a ripoff.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:13 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatass
$35k is pushing it. When you hit that price, you are introduced to a world of other vehicles that are a good bang for the buck.
Name one new car, STi aside, that offers a significant price/performance advantage over the Evo MR at $35,000. Please.

At $40,000 I might agree with you, as you can (maybe) slide into a 400 HP C6 at that price point.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Name one new car, STi aside, that offers a significant price/performance advantage over the Evo MR at $35,000. Please.

At $40,000 I might agree with you, as you can (maybe) slide into a 400 HP C6 at that price point.
Agreed.

At $35k, there is nothing that currently offers the mix of performance, practicality, and affordability of the MR.

The C6 cannot double as a family car, my EVO 8 does.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 04:03 PM

Few quick questions:

1. Does anyone know the weight savings of an MR at this point?

2. Generally speaking is the '05 STi greatly improved over the '03/04? Is it now a better threat to the Evo?

Thanks,

Dan
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:10 PM
cmf

Originally Posted by Silver TT
1. Does anyone know the weight savings of an MR at this point?
I haven't seen any definitive data or actual part weight comparisons posted here or anywhere yet.

Originally Posted by Silver TT
2. Generally speaking is the '05 STi greatly improved over the '03/04? Is it now a better threat to the Evo?
Differences to the 2005 STi include the following:
- Active Yaw Control system added
- Front helical differential (versus older Suretrak)
- Increased spring rates
- Aluminum lateral links
- New power steering oil cooler
- Bigger BBS wheels (17x8 versus 17.x7.5 on previous model) & larger mounts
- Revised interior including smaller steering wheel and two cupholders
- Climate control with air filtration system
- Redesigned and relocated cruise control lever
- New 260 watt 6-disc in-dash CD changer with subwoofer
- Minor body tweaks (flared rear fenders to accommodate larger wheels) and underbody aero/protective cover
- Smoke-tinted headlight lens

Supposedly, body roll and understeer have been significantly reduced, which should make a head-to-head on a street track pretty interesting.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:34 PM

Thanks cmf. What is the best STi forum? Or is there somewhere (Subaru website) I can read about the new features?

I am also dying to know the weight difference of the MR vs. the RS or the Standard Evo. If it is anything over 150 lbs that will be sweet as hell.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cmf
I haven't seen any definitive data or actual part weight comparisons posted here or anywhere yet.

- Increased spring rates
- Aluminum lateral links
- Minor body tweaks (flared rear fenders to accommodate larger wheels) and underbody aero/protective cover

Supposedly, body roll and understeer have been significantly reduced, which should make a head-to-head on a street track pretty interesting.

I'm not positive about this but I think some people may get confused about the AYC. It isn't like AYC on an evos, it is a sensor that uses braking to slow down the wheels with less traction. While the AYC on evos will actually send more power to wheels with most traction, making it a positive force rather than a negative one.

I'm guessing that the STI is better now but still not as good handling wise as the evo.. And I'm not really that biased, in the last year and a half I've gone from Evo-Sti-E46 M3 as my next potential car, guess where I ended up every time . Silver TT, if you want comparisons look for the next issue of Motor Trend to come out in the next couple of weeks. NASIOC seems to be a pretty good subie forum.

http://forums.nasioc.com
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

I have the new Motor Trend. They test the 05 MR against the 05 STi. The weight of the MR is in at 3273 lbs. Identical 0-60 (4.7) and 1/4 mile (13.3) times between the two.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4ce fed
I have the new Motor Trend. They test the 05 MR against the 05 STi. The weight of the MR is in at 3273 lbs. Identical 0-60 (4.7) and 1/4 mile (13.3) times between the two.
Hey

Where did you pick it up at? Is it out already? What did the STI weigh in at? I guess I'll make a quick trip to Barnes & Nobles.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

I have a subscription. The STi weighs in at 3290 lbs. In the end, they pick the MR as the overall winner.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cmf

- Increased spring rates
- Aluminum lateral links

Still won't out handle an EVO.

Quick Reply: Road and Track MR short writeup with Pics!