Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Road and Track MR short writeup with Pics!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jovani
Anyone else notice in the engine pic it looks like we're not getting the MR aluminum BOV but the regular plastic one.
Yup, it's true. We get the plastic version, I looked at the press MR when we had it. So unless the production versions are different we'll be getting plastic.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cmf
And how likely is it that Subaru would *reduce* the power of the STi for 2005? The 25 lbs added for 2005 aren't likely to make it "a good bit slower."

I'm glad to see the MR turn out such great numbers, buf the figures for the STi seem a bit odd. I was just hoping for an accurate comparison, and this sounds like at least one of the cars wasn't quite typical.
If you are a Subaru guy you should already know that they are having to reflash some Sti's for pinging concerns and it is guite possible the '05 are all reflashed right from the factory to eliminate this. It make logical sense since we experienced pinging with our '04 and we didn't with the '05. Also the STi and Evo both had about 1,500-miles on them so both engines were still tight. The Evo had the factory break it in and the Subi our Regional Rep if that makes a difference.

Last edited by EVO Neil; Sep 4, 2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:11 PM
cmf

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
Originally Posted by cmf
No surprise on MT picking the Evo. They love the car and would probably pick it even if it didn't win any of the performance specs just because the seats are so awesome.

Really, then you seriously don't know our staff. We're probably 50/50 between the two cars and we've gotten to experience both for the last year on our long-term fleet, so we've had plenty of seat time in each.

Please don't make general statements like this when you know none of us personally.
Dude...chill. A lot of the shoot-outs in your mag end up with the winner not being the fastest or most powerful car, but the one that is most enjoyable to drive. That's a good thing, IMO. That's all I meant...no need to get bent over it.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 05:30 AM

EVO_Neil , I'm just curious about the clutch of the Evo MR. Since you have driven and tested it, I would like to ask you some things that confuse me. Does the 5k rpm limiter placed on the clutch affect heel and toe technique when running on a race track? Correct me if I am wrong, but does it mean that because of the 5K rpm limiter, it is not possible to be running on 2nd gear at 6,500 rpm then shifting to 3rd gear?
Old Sep 5, 2004, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmf
And how likely is it that Subaru would *reduce* the power of the STi for 2005? The 25 lbs added for 2005 aren't likely to make it "a good bit slower."

I'm glad to see the MR turn out such great numbers, buf the figures for the STi seem a bit odd. I was just hoping for an accurate comparison, and this sounds like at least one of the cars wasn't quite typical.
I was saying before I saw the article, that the det problems the first STis had may have forced Subaru into detunning the '05s. When I got the mag I saw that MT also mentioned that. The 4G63 has a big advantage in det resistance vs. the EJ20 and especially the EJ25. Still I could be car to car variation. But remember these cars are hand picked by the manufacturing for testing so a subpar STi is unlikley.

If you are going to flash the ECU that will not mater The STi will run as well as the '04s. The 2-step rev limiter should not matter on the evo as well.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bozspeed
EVO_Neil , I'm just curious about the clutch of the Evo MR. Since you have driven and tested it, I would like to ask you some things that confuse me. Does the 5k rpm limiter placed on the clutch affect heel and toe technique when running on a race track? Correct me if I am wrong, but does it mean that because of the 5K rpm limiter, it is not possible to be running on 2nd gear at 6,500 rpm then shifting to 3rd gear?
Again, I have a huge suspicion that the 5K second-stage limiter is also tied to the speed the car is traveling at.

If you couldn't upshift from say 1st to 2nd past 5,000 rpm, people would mark Mitsubishi's neck so they know where to hit it with the axe. It would make driving an absolute nuisance. The car wouldn't of won the comparison tests because the 5k limiter would prevent them from wringing the car out and keeping it properly in its powerband. If you shift at 5K in the Evo, you're going to drop WAY out of the powerband. No way you'd be putting down anything resembling a fast lap.

The 5,000rpm second stage limiter is probably also tied to the speed of the car. Like... < 5 mph or something. Neil can surely clear this up.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bozspeed
The rev limiter works while the car is NOT moving and won't allow you to launch the car higher than 5K, it does not affect spirited driving at the track, otherwise we'd have reported it this way. It must have a parameter for speed, like 0-5 or 10 mph that puts it into use. By the way the six-speed tranny does come with a different clutch than the five-speed equipped Evos'.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

how did you like the gear ratios of the 6 speed... what were the upsides and downsides compared to the 5?
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:01 AM

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS ONE COMING TO THE US HAS THE Super AYC ?
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by theblue
how did you like the gear ratios of the 6 speed... what were the upsides and downsides compared to the 5?
Well, let's see, the shifter is even better than our five-speed cars if that's possible. New teflon-lined cables do the trick. The gear ratios are such that it's like our current five-speed with another gear choice between four and fifth. The overall rpm's at seventy remain very close to the current five speed so you don't really gain anything there, it really helps keep the new turbo on the whistle better by having a tighter set of gears to choose from.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by arslanh
NO, it doesn't!

Last edited by EVO Neil; Sep 5, 2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cmf
Dude...chill. A lot of the shoot-outs in your mag end up with the winner not being the fastest or most powerful car, but the one that is most enjoyable to drive. That's a good thing, IMO. That's all I meant...no need to get bent over it.
Sorry, you made it sound like we were/are biased toward the Evo and that's just not true. Their are lovers of both cars on our staff. Yes, I own an Evo, but that doesn't mean I can't judge any car on it's faults and it's merits, it part of being a professional, seperating personal preferences from professional scrutiny.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by arslanh
what the hell is wrong with you? you've poosted this same dumb question at least 5 times already! read the threads before wasting our time...the USDM MR WILL NOT HAVE AYC.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 04:15 AM

Thanks for clarifying things regarding the MR's clutch for me [U]EVO_Neil!