Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Alcohol injection Tuning Tips??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alcohol injection Tuning Tips??

I am installing my alcohol injection this weekend. Anyone out there set one of these up yet? If so can you give some tips that might benefit us newbie Alcoholics What Psi should you start spraying at? Should you run higher boost directly after it is set to start spraying? I am going to give this a whirl without a Dyno tune so any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on what you use to activate the injection. With WI, you'll basically have 2 maps. At a point where the water is not being injected, it's pretty normal. ONce the water started to flow, then you can advance timing, afr, and raise boost level. If you have the water constantly flowing, you'll run out of water pretty quickly. Most people would activate the WI at around 19psi of boost. So basically from there on, your map will be more aggressive, which give you the power gain.

If you have the map sensor with the utec, this can be tune fairly easily. At the load sites where the WI is activated, advance timing and lean out the AFR. All that will depends on how much your car can take before you start seeing knocks. Too lean of a AFR isnt always a good thing. You have to fine "best lean tq". Timing can be tweak out on a dynometer. I would target 11.5-12afr and about 2-4 degrees more timing. You have to put in mind that your afr and timing will depend on the nature of your evo, the type of gas, and the mixture of the water itself. Good luck modding!
Old Jun 3, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

I was thinking that I would leave the timing where is is and just rely on the added boost. Is this the wrong way to go? I do have a map sensor. I was afraid that adding timing and high boost would result in dangerously high cylinder pressure. I will be running 100% methanol.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea you could just add boost, that's what i would do.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 08:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its going to be a combination of adding boost, which will lean things out a little bit, and altering your timing.. within reason, the timing will help the engine's performance more than running leaner or adding significantly more boot.. But it does ultimately end up being a compromise...

And when I was playing with the WI setup I put together, I had it progressively start at 16 psi, and raise to full injection output at 20psi.. It was a rudimentary kit so it was a bit difficult (and unpredictable) to work with.. But most are functionally similar.

If you have it kick in at full WI injection immediately, you may get a stumble when it kicks in..
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

As I read this stuff, this would mean when I get alcohol injection or even nitrous I will need to use the ABC instead of my Hallman Pro on the UTEC in order to run it correctly because you need to up the boost at certain points, which would thne mean I would need to have them set in the the load sites on the maps.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well.. if you want boost control for different levels that doesn't require to change map AND adjust your MBC, then yes, you'd want to use the ABC/Factory boost solenoid, or something that utilizes the factory control. But the reference i was making was the mappable configuration on a Water/Alcohol injection controller, mine had two adjustments on it, the on point, and the max-spray point.. others are much more complex and have a little mappable controller...

But to take best advantage of a system like this, you really should/could have something you can easily control inside the car, and preferrably something that makes all the correct settings active in one shot (So you don't risk accidentally turning up the boost without the alcohol system, or without the appropriate Fuel map)

The specific references we're talking about is how the fuel and timing map, and its load sites, would be affected by boost levels, either in HZ of MAF read, or MAP PSI, since the maximum setting you would configure for the high boost application, where you'd be in the 100% load sites, would mean that you would be in a lower range of load sites on the lower boost application (since the MAF reading would be proportionally lower, or the MAP PSI would belower)
Old Jun 15, 2005, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

It looks like I am going to have to re-do all of my maps to run the alcohol injection. It sucks because I have a lot of time invested in my other maps. Raising the max MAP or Max MAF is going to mess up all my load sites and render my other maps useless. I do not have the time or patience to start from scratch so it is off to Turbo XS for a Dyno tune.