Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

safc II WITHOUT upgraded fuel pump or injectors

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safc II WITHOUT upgraded fuel pump or injectors

my mods on my car are:

HKS RS Intake
Buschur TBE
HAllman MBC
Buddy Club 264/272 cams

all of the mods above add in more air going in and going out of my engine.

i was with turbolarry last night, and he helped me out install my safc, along with tuning it. he used a wideband o2 to tune it.

most people tune the safc when they are running too rich, in which they decrease the amount of fuel going into the system. i was the other way around... my o2 V was around 0.87 low end, and 0.91 mid range, and 0.93 high range. that was without tuning the safc. we brought it up to 0.93 constant for all rpm points.

thing is, the safc is used specifically when the o2 V is high (running rich), but mine is the other way around.. i noticed a little bit better in performance, but i think i should get WAY better performance gains if i had more fuel going in.

he suggested that I get a Walbro fuel pump and upgrade my injectors to 650cc.

i wanted to get opinions and comments about what we did last night, tuning the safc, also suggestions on the parts to get. i will definitely get a safc, but the injectors are a little pricey, im still thinking about those... but its worth the bang for the buck, id go for it.

he recommended me the injectors at http://www.fuelinjectorclinic.com/cart/mitsubishi.htm for $288.

chris
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

hey chris, i tuned my car today with the s-afc2, and we were basically trying to get .91-.92 all the way down. we were getting consistant timing in my car peaking with .17-.18. id say just get the fuel pump and the 720cc greddy/denso injectors. remember u get what u pay for.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:04 AM
Evolving Member

hey eugine! man we should kick it out sometime.. havent seen u for a while.. come pass by my house sometime..

anyways, yes, i lost my walbro fuel pump when i changed that day when i got stranded in ontario. i misplaced it somewhere in myhouse.

did you have injectors in your car too? your timing on your car is pretty high, maybe coz u got upgraded fuel system...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:17 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SAFC II isn't good at adding fuel, because how they munipulate the airflow reading.

the ecu thinks it's running lean when you add fuel and eventually you'll hit a fuel cut.

only way I know how to fix this, which I had a problem with is to add Fuel pump.

Try adding a walbro fuel pump, because I was running very lean at 22psi.

then replaced it and it dropped down to very rich, very quick.

Injectors, you could use to add more fuel without hitting the fuel cut.

but I would try the fuel pump first before anything.

If you need one, we're having a group buy.

http://*********************/forums/showthread.php?t=228

I have a Safc II as well, but I've decided to get the ecu flash to get rid of the fuel cut, so I could utilize my safc II.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chiz, I say listen to turbolarry. You're not going to get better advice here than what he gave you in person...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

thanks guys for your input! and yes warrtalon, he is a great person. i just wanted to get some additional comments from other people, also about the injectors..
Old Jul 28, 2005, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

the afc manipulates timing by tricking the ecu about the amount of incoming air. the more you can lie to the ecu the greater manipulation you have over timing. so to take full advantage of the afc you need large enough injectors that do not put you out of the afc's adjustmant range (50percent) if you are adding fuel with the afc you will be tricking the ecu into thinking that there is more are coming into the motor than actually is which will result in less timing and your car will be less powerful. if you scale back the larger injectors the ecu will think there is less air coming into the motor than really is allowing you to take advantage of greater timing. 720 denso injectors are nice because they are of high quality and they are 31 percent larger than stock. ((720-550)/550) check my math i'm pretty tired. a fuel pump is cheap insurance and i'm surprised that you would get cams and an afc without it.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Even though i don't recommend a fuel pump until you hit X amount of power, in this case, a fuel pump and 680-720 cc injectors would do the trick very nicely.