Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

CEL flashing before start

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL flashing before start

My CEL flashs like 5 to 6 times before I start the car. I recently removed the stock boost control solenooid and replaced it with the perrin to have the UTEC control boost. The CEL does not stay on when I start the car, and the ECU is not storing any error codes. Is this normal when you remove the stock solenoid, as it is the only thing I really can imagine causing this flickering CEL.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

with the utec if u turn the key to on the cel will flash a number of times and that is the map ur on thats the only thing i can think of if it helps
Old Oct 9, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well mine flashes when i give the car a high load... and im in 2-3 gears @ 22 psi... i get scared so i let off
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lemacfar
Well mine flashes when i give the car a high load... and im in 2-3 gears @ 22 psi... i get scared so i let off
When your CEL flashes while driving its means your engine is knocking/detnonating. You can be causing some major damage. Have someone check your compression etc.. and retune your car.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by SOUTHSIDEITALIA
My CEL flashs like 5 to 6 times before I start the car. I recently removed the stock boost control solenooid and replaced it with the perrin to have the UTEC control boost. The CEL does not stay on when I start the car, and the ECU is not storing any error codes. Is this normal when you remove the stock solenoid, as it is the only thing I really can imagine causing this flickering CEL.
You didn't change to a higher #'d map by chance did you? if you have a remote map selector it can be pretty easy to knock accidentally.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian_H
You didn't change to a higher #'d map by chance did you? if you have a remote map selector it can be pretty easy to knock accidentally.
he's not the one with knock... UTEC flashes the CEL when you start to indicate which map its on. lemacfar is getting knock while his car is running. Any CEL flashing while driving means knock. Read your manuals !!!!!!
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by joeymia
he's not the one with knock... UTEC flashes the CEL when you start to indicate which map its on. lemacfar is getting knock while his car is running. Any CEL flashing while driving means knock. Read your manuals !!!!!!

I know, I was wondering if he accidentally switched to map #5.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Not trying to belittle anyone, but come on. You have a tool here that is readily capable of destroying your engine. You owe it to ourself and your Evo to familiarize yourself with every page of the UTEC manual.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

I do remember reading that now. Thanks guys