Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Choosing a good wideband

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing a good wideband

After searching and reading past postings...I'm still undecided as to which model provides the most accurate reading and usable features. I have narrowed my choices to the following :

1) Zeitronix ZT-2 (http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm)
2) Innovate LM-1 (http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php)
3) TechEdge 2B0 (http://wbo2.com/2b0/default.htm)
4) PLX R500 (http://www.plxdevices.com/R-500_productinfo.htm)

If you guys are looking for a wideband, which of the above would you choose? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Innovate makes a great product. I've not seen the zeitronix unit but I've heard good things about it. My vote is for innovate
Old Jan 8, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

I went with the innovate as well. I don't have it installed yet but I have the XD-1 kit.

It wasn't on your list but I would definetely check it out. I'm not sure if you know or not but the LM-1 is pretty big.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/xd1.php
Old Jan 8, 2006, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

innovate lm-1 is what i have and i love it, it depends on how long u leave it in the car, the lm-1 needs to be when you need to tune, get the plx if you want to leave it in the car all the time, just 2cents worth.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

I have the PLX in my car, and it's great. I actually have the older model, the M-500 (wireless datalogging included). It seems like the R500 is pretty improved on it, so it should be pretty good.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:29 PM
Account Disabled

I sell the LM1 at a price so low I cant not post it - PM me for detals
Old Jan 8, 2006, 02:45 PM
Account Disabled

It depends on what you are doing with your car. I posted this recently in the AEM forum, but I'll do a quick recap here.

If you are running leaded fuel, we recommend the FJO wideband kit with the NTK sensor. FJO's hardware is arguably the best on the market. The NTK sensor is also significantly more robust than the Bosch unit and will hold up to extremes and leaded fuel much better. $200 for a sensor may be expensive, but it's cheaper than buying a new Bosch every 3 months (or 2 weeks, in the case of one person I know who ran leaded fuel on an almost daily basis). The FJO also comes with datalogging software.

If you are running unleaded fuels (pump or pump + meth), we normally recommend the Innovate XD-1 for single-car use. If you plan on moving it from car to car, the LM-1 is an excellent setup. The AEM Gauge-Type UEGO Controller is probably the best value on the market. It's my personal opinion that the Innovate quality control is superior to AEM's.

The answer will also depend on what engine management you plan on sticking with.

I chose FJO for my personal car for a couple of reasons. First was the NTK sensor and overall quality of the product. Second was because I wanted something without a display because I am using the Profec E-01 as my boost and AFR display.

Last edited by Jack @ EvoStore; Jan 8, 2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget the TurboXS tuner aswell.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jack @ EvoStore
It depends on what you are doing with your car. I posted this recently in the AEM forum, but I'll do a quick recap here.

If you are running leaded fuel, we recommend the FJO wideband kit with the NTK sensor. FJO's hardware is arguably the best on the market. The NTK sensor is also significantly more robust than the Bosch unit and will hold up to extremes and leaded fuel much better. $200 for a sensor may be expensive, but it's cheaper than buying a new Bosch every 3 months (or 2 weeks, in the case of one person I know who ran leaded fuel on an almost daily basis). The FJO also comes with datalogging software.

If you are running unleaded fuels (pump or pump + meth), we normally recommend the Innovate XD-1 for single-car use. If you plan on moving it from car to car, the LM-1 is an excellent setup. The AEM Gauge-Type UEGO Controller is probably the best value on the market. It's my personal opinion that the Innovate quality control is superior to AEM's.

The answer will also depend on what engine management you plan on sticking with.

I chose FJO for my personal car for a couple of reasons. First was the NTK sensor and overall quality of the product. Second was because I wanted something without a display because I am using the Profec E-01 as my boost and AFR display.
May I know which Bosch sensor is the LM-1 using and which NTK for the FJO? I plan to use the Emanage Ultimate for my ECU. Another factor is that I need to install the sensor on the area of downpipe right after the turbo and before the first bend. I reckon the heat there is considerable so which sensor will last longer and read more accurately mounted there?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:14 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by LordEvoIX
May I know which Bosch sensor is the LM-1 using and which NTK for the FJO? I plan to use the Emanage Ultimate for my ECU. Another factor is that I need to install the sensor on the area of downpipe right after the turbo and before the first bend. I reckon the heat there is considerable so which sensor will last longer and read more accurately mounted there?
There are basically two types of sensors on the market. The NTK type and the Bosch. Off the top of my head, only the FJO and Motec controllers can use the NTK. They can actually use both types, but most people that are going to spend the money on those controllers are going to do so in order to run the better sensor.

I think most people will agree that the NTK sensor is going to last longer under hard usage (leaded fuel or extremes of heat). Where most people will disagree is whether or not the extra lifespan justifies the extra cost.

I compare it to buying a clutch. You can buy a lot of ACT single discs for the price of a Tilton carbon-carbon. Some people would rather pay a little at a time and change it more frequently. Others feel the additional benefits justify the cost. And, like choosing a clutch, you have to take into consideration your particular application.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LordEvoIX
After searching and reading past postings...I'm still undecided as to which model provides the most accurate reading and usable features. I have narrowed my choices to the following :

1) Zeitronix ZT-2 (http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm)
2) Innovate LM-1 (http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php)
3) TechEdge 2B0 (http://wbo2.com/2b0/default.htm)
4) PLX R500 (http://www.plxdevices.com/R-500_productinfo.htm)

If you guys are looking for a wideband, which of the above would you choose? Thanks in advance for any help!
What about AEM's UEGO?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:56 PM

i would recommend the innovate since thats what i have as well. The LM-1 is great but its a little bulky. With the XD-1 , its a great choice. We use the innovate wideband all the time at my work and it works like a champ.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

LC-1/XD-1 works great
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:13 PM

I have only used the Zeitronix, but it works great. Very easy to use, nice data logger, easy to use with yoru standalone ECu(if you have one) and nice display thats easy to read, all at a decent price.

I highly recommend it.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jack @ EvoStore
The AEM Gauge-Type UEGO Controller is probably the best value on the market. It's my personal opinion that the Innovate quality control is superior to AEM's.
+1
and its on sale for cheap
http://titanmotorsports.com/aem6gauewico.html

Quick Reply: Choosing a good wideband