Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evo 8 running very lean lots of hesitation Need help! Grimspeed 3 port bcs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 running very lean lots of hesitation Need help! Grimspeed 3 port bcs

So I have an Evo 8 and I have been running for the past month an a/f ratio of 17 at idle, 14.7 at cruising speed, 18 under deceleration,17 when going up hills. The car runs so sloppy and ****ty ughhhh. Its the only car I have to drive as it my daily driver I wish it was warmer so I could ride my Z1000 ha . The car was tuned a while back and the car ran fine under stock boost. Then one day it just became bad . I didnt have an air fuel ratio gauge or anything till a week and a half ago because I wanted to datalog and try to figure out the problem. I just thought it wasnt getting spark. I have just been trying to figure this out every day and i have looked at so much and tested alot of things. i have grimspeed 3 port bcs and i think may be the cuprit but maybe not.. I thought maybe it had to do with the operation of this solenoid. Just last night I found a boost leak in the fuel pressure regulator line. It was hissing when i fill the turbo and pipes with air. So i ripped it off and cut it a little short to make it fit better on the nipple. The i put the line back on half way and put a little rtv on the metal to make a better seal and added safety wire to the line started the sucker up. Dangggg 14.7 at idle the thing to off no lag under acceleration I dropped under 14.7 a/f ratio. I was so happy . Then 5 minutes later it got slushy again and I started seeing a/f ratios i was seeing before that I described( the lean condition). I dont know what i am trying to ask here but i know alot of people know alot about these cars on here and I got mine a year ago and have just been driving it secondary to the Z1000. What are some things you can check beside boost leak, timing,spark,map tps. I was going to try to modifiy some maps in ecu flash. I have a tantrix 2.0 with flash connector and I run tephra v7. I understand some portions of tuning but not all I am still learning.Just to describe the condition in detail again: The car runs lean at idle(17-21.7)acceleration(17)cruising speeds (14.7)deceleration(21.7) and with the a/f ratios please do not suggest that I recalibrate the sensor because obviously it is running lean. But the car hesitates and drives like a geo metro haha. The car was tuned with a kn filter,no cat, injen hard piping,grimspeed 3 port bcs and it is hooked up to interupt .I did a boost leak test and found a leak in the fuel pressure regulator.I fixed it went out for 5 minute maybe 60% throttles pulls nothing crazy then it went sloppy again I brought the car back did a boost leak test again and I had air coming slowly out of the open oil cap on the valve cover.Valve guide seals? Idk Maybe its normal. I just dont want to blow this motor up and I am trying to learn tuning real quick which is not a quick process haha. I mean I dont even know what maps to look at for the 3 port bcs because every forum that suggests tables I cant find them in ecuflash and that even with tephra v7 which adds a lot. I dont know if any one can help me with this or give me suggestions .I am seriously out of money (laidoff) and I am totally willing to learn new thing. I respect every one on this forum because I understand it take a little more knowledge then the average joe to get these cars running correctly. A couple more things the rear o2 is in a non fouler and out of the exhaust stream. The boost controller solenoid (grimspeed 3port) is hooked up as followed: port 2 and vacum line connect to wast gate actuator.Port 3 connects to compressor nipple, port one is vented back into intake. The car has a catch can and breather filter and the port on the intake that recirculate this is plugged. Idk just someone please before this thing blows up . I am so stupid I have been driving it like this for a entire year i know i know ha and I just want it back to normal. Can someone walk me through what could be wrong with my car and maybe help me with ecuflash in conjuction with this 3 port bcs or maybe it is this bov which sound so breathy like alot of air is escaping
Old Nov 10, 2010, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also I have no voltage at the boost controller solenoid at the rpm it is suppose to kick in at