Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Need a good tuner

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 02:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
A 2.3 liter has a recommended limitation on rpm, not whp. It also has more to do with which internals you go with.

The big crank has alot more going on then a smaller crank. I'd limit it to a clean 700whp or less.

To the OP, I'd go with a well known E tuner OR preferably put it on a dyno on low smoothing and get it tuned. You can see alot more in a dyno session then barreling down the road for hours on end relying on hobbiest software and a single knock sensor.
Of course before you go develop a checklist and get the car ready to tune.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 04:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
No need to limit a displacement to a certain power number assuming other vital criterias are met. The last 2.3 full build we did at the shop made 840WHP+. More displacement makes power easier with less boost due to its more efficiently done.

There's far to many variables, but in reality a 2.0 will be more reliable and last longer than a 2.0, but that's only if everything's done properly. I tune built 2.0's by other shops who have more vibration in the rotating assembly than some of our 2.3's due to balancing and assembly in general.

Heres a very old but good article regarding strokers: http://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/content/StrokeOrNot.pdf

In regards to tuning, street and dyno work well. It comes down to the tuners ability more than anything. A lot of dyno owners start the tune on the street still.

Pretty sure i got your MHI Red record beat also from a customer from 2012.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 03:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
No need to limit a displacement to a certain power number assuming other vital criterias are met. The last 2.3 full build we did at the shop made 840WHP+. More displacement makes power easier with less boost due to its more efficiently done.

There's far to many variables, but in reality a 2.0 will be more reliable and last longer than a 2.0, but that's only if everything's done properly. I tune built 2.0's by other shops who have more vibration in the rotating assembly than some of our 2.3's due to balancing and assembly in general.

Heres a very old but good article regarding strokers: http://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/content/StrokeOrNot.pdf

In regards to tuning, street and dyno work well. It comes down to the tuners ability more than anything. A lot of dyno owners start the tune on the street still.

Pretty sure i got your MHI Red record beat also from a customer from 2012.

Excellent article Tom! Will be reading through this one for sure.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered D3PE in Houston? They seem to have a good handle on the ProEFI system for multiple vehicle types.