Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evo 8 not starting after Lifter Tick

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Evo 8 not starting after Lifter Tick

Hello Everyone,

Hoping for some advice on an issue:

Evo 8- Stock, ~90000 miles

For the last year it has been running rich. Check engine light was on and off intermittently but was always found to be related to O2 sensor- thought was either I needed to get the sensors replaced or needed a new cat. I had put this off as I figured I would just do a full exhaust change when I had the funds (something else always came-up thought so I haven't had a chance).

Last week I started to hear what I thought was a lifter tick. It was about time for an oil change so I did one and based on research here put in 0-W40 full synthetic mobil1 (2 days ago).

Lifter noise was still there but car seemed to run fine.

Today on the way to work when I went to higher RPMs (over 4K) I felt a slight vibration. Car seemed to run and boost okay though.

When leaving work I got in, turned key to start, thought I heard a small thud when turning over then nothing- I hear the starter but it is not catching at all. Tried multiple times but it won't start. Battery is fine and it has fuel. Still has oil level.

Need help as I have no clue what it could be! I am getting it towed to a shop but wanted to see what others on here thought might be wrong. Is it the timing or a valve issue?

Thank you!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 07:29 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
pull the timing cover and check cam timing. What i thought was lifter tick turned out to be a failed timing belt tensioner, which caused the belt to jump a tooth and the "tick" was actually pistons contacting the valves. I hope its not that, but you should def check.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I let them know and they will check on this as well. I assume the top end was a rebuild with this issue?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 06:21 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Carpediem99
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I let them know and they will check on this as well. I assume the top end was a rebuild with this issue?
yep, new valves, guides, retainers, keepers, springs, valve job and resurfacing. Obviously new timing belt, tensioner and pulleys as well.