Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Tuning with ECUFLASH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 08:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tuning with ECUFLASH

So a while back I ordered a Tacttrix 2.0 cable and all the nececessary additional plugins that comes with it for my evo 9 RS. In the beginning when I was downloading the Base_9 ROM everything worked great and by that I mean EcuFlash would at first give me a selection of all the various ROM’s like for instance Evo 4/5/6/7/8/9/and 10’s along with also AUS, JDM. and USDM versions. All I would have to do is click on USDM EVO base_9 and it would begin reading. I was also capable of using the read ECU icon in the upper left hand corner along with the write and test write ECU function. I primarily used ECUflash at first to keep that pesky P0420 code from randomly popping up so that’s when I used one of Tephras patches to simulate the reading the ECU would see. Since then I have had a larger gtx3076 turbo and larger 1200cc injectors installed then had it tuned here in Denver by Tobz Tuning. Well emissions time came around and I just cannot seem to get my ECUFlash to work the way it once did. I installed ECUFlash and at first it appears to be reading the ROM but it never lists all the AUS,USDM,JDM Evo 4,5,6,7,8,9,or10 nor does it highlight the read, write, or test write icons in the upper left hand corner or does it give me any of my read ECU parameters. I’m in the options definition Programer as opposed to beginner or intermediate function, but I’m not sure if anything else needs to be changed in any other profiles that I’m simply just not aware of. If someone could please help me with this I would gladly set up PayPal for you. I just hate having to drive clear across town to recalibrate my injectors when emissions comes due every year.
Thanks for any help anyone could give me.

Last edited by evoniners; Feb 25, 2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:39 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I'd have someone remote tune it. There is a steep learning curve for EcuFlash and it's REALLY hard to explain and help over the internet.
hit up Jay @ BoostedTuning or Gary at BainsTuned.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'd have someone remote tune it. There is a steep learning curve for EcuFlash and it's REALLY hard to explain and help over the internet.
hit up Jay @ BoostedTuning or Gary at BainsTuned.

+1 for Jay!

What I've notice is ECUflash doesn't like to read/write if you have other devices connected to the USB ports. I have to disconnect my wideband cable to flash the ecy, not sure if that is because I dual boot my mac.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 05:03 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Can you clarify your problem? You cannot open a saved rom or you can't read the rom off your ECU?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 03:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m not able to open a saved rom nor can I read a rom off my ECU. Is it possible the ROM Id was changed to some random 7 digit number, the stock rom Id for my car was 88590015
Old Mar 4, 2019, 04:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by evoniners
I’m not able to open a saved rom nor can I read a rom off my ECU. Is it possible the ROM Id was changed to some random 7 digit number, the stock rom Id for my car was 88590015

Sounds like the tuner might have hidden his rom or you may not have all the XML's and definition files required to interpret the map in ECU Flash. You should still be able to read the ROM off the ECU itself though. Have you made changes to any drivers or software lately? If not, I would try a re installation of ecu flash and the latest drivers.

Keep in mind that you cannot read/write from the ECU if your battery voltage is too low.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 05:25 PM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Is there an error prompt?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not sure if you got to the bottom of this or not, I had a similar issue when I first got ECUFlash as well, and what i worked out was after i pulled the ROM from my ECU (Evo5 ECU in VR4 Galant) I then pulled a ROM from a friends WRX.
When the default XML has been changed, it wouldnt give me the options to read the ECU (eg was set for EVO5 initially connected to WRX, then WRX connected to EVO5 - so I had to go back and change the default vehicle for it to have to read ecu option. .. if that makes sense?

If you havent changed anything or tried a different ECU, im not sure if that is going to help.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 05:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by evoniners

I know you said you bought the "additional plugins", but didn't mention using them. Be aware that the small single-wire plug:

Must also be plugged into the vehicle to do any reading or writing of the ROM on the car. Without this plugged in, you can still log with evoscan but you won't be able to read or write anything with ecuflash. Maybe make sure this cable is plugged in to the car and the tactrix cable.

Second thing that may have happened is that Tobz may have installed a new ROM onto your car, such as the tephra version. Even if he had, though, no matter what is on there, you should still be able to read the ROM off the ECU, like Pal215 said.