Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

EVO 8 JDM - Pulling timing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2023, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EVO 8 JDM - Pulling timing

Hello everyone,

I am a complete noob. I have an EVO 8 and it was a fixer and I have been learning as I have been going.
I have only slightly modded the car, the following is what was done:

- Braided Lines 6AN Fuel tank to rail
- STM Fuel Rail
- Fuel Lab Mini FPR
- JDC Coil on Pack
- Walboro 255 pump
- New OEM injectors

- MHI Mitsubishi Evolution 4-9 TF06-18K Turbo Upgrade
- Tial BOV
- Mishimoto Intercooler
- Mishimoto Radiator
- STM Downpipe
- STM 3 piece cat back exhaust
- Zeitronix ZT2 wideband and boost

I have been working with someone online who has been helping me tune the car.

I recently installed the MHI Turbo and the car was running for a few days.

I went to log and all of a sudden around 4k rpm I felt a drop in power and the car struggled to reach 7k rpm.
On a few runs it would build full boost and on a few it would struggle to build boost.

There is no apparent boost leaks. Did a test to check. Checked the log and noticed a lot of knock. So I figured the it was pulling timing.
I am kind of stumped and not sure what to. I will attached my most recent logs where I did one WOT run in third.
Along with the last rom i flashed on the car.

Since I got the car the CEL has been on because of the EGR being removed. And sometimes it flashes during pulls but it never caused an issue before the turbo upgrade.

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks

Attached Files
Old Oct 11, 2023, 10:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You need to tune for that new turbo. The flashing engine light could be because you are pulling so much timing. Do NOT do a bunch of WOT pulls without first getting the knock under control. Easy way to blow your engine. Take it easy until you and your tuner get that taken care of. Loss of power is fine at first. It’s way better to be running with less power and slowly work your way up rather than trying to get high power and end up having to replace your engine.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Yup, it's pulling timing and the WGDC is dropping to zero (from ~65%).

There's two bouts of knock there, with the max count being 6. I'm no tuning expert, but given that your AFR the time was around 11.3:1 and the timing was -1, it doesn't make sense why you're getting so much knock. Again, I'm no expert, though.

At this point, question everything. Is your WBO2 sensor calibrated and is your evoscan equation correct? Is the knock sensor detecting false knock? Is there a mechanical issue in the engine?

There is something funny going on with your ZTX boost sensor - it is mostly giving correct-looking values but there are extreme spikes. E.g. during WOT it hit 21.4 PSI but there is the odd spike in the log to 2800+ PSI. Start with checking the wiring.