Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

afc fix k&n typhoon prob?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
afc fix k&n typhoon prob?

I just installed a k&n typhoon and it looks good, sounds good, but it feels like I lost a lot of horses. I've read most of the threads and talked to some flashers, but no one gives me a straight answer. can the safc (or anything)fix the lean condition/power loss, etc, would it be worth it, or should I return it? what intake is better aem, hks, stock, or the k&n drop in/ thanks
michael
Old Jul 31, 2004, 07:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes.. But without a wideband setup, or Dyno tune you'll have a hard time finding where its lean and how much.. The problem with some of these intakes is they sometimes cause MAF sensor misreads or turbulence, sometimes its difficult to tune for because its characteristics change depending on conditions or engine RPM..

However, you should be able to add about +2 to +4 or more at around 3000-4800rpm and it should help you...

Just so you know, the weakness you feel is actually a "Relearning" issue, that is, the ECU needs to relearn the new settings and fuel trims, so it feels weaker at part throttle driving.. But adding a bit of fuel should help you a little.

The truth is I've heard a few horror stories about the K&N, I don't know that its actually as hard to tune around as people think, but you do need to have enough headroom in fuel injector capacity (and MAF sensor capacity) to keep from hitting fuel cut.. But give that a try, You will have to add approx +2 to +3 at your Lo-Th settings and as high as +3 to +8 on the Hi-Th settings..

Again, the best way to do this is to do it on a dyno or with a wideband, however its a good starting point, and worth a shot before you give up on it.. For some it just is too big a PITA to deal with.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem with my car feeling like it lost power after installing my Typhoon intake. I installed the SAFCII with and put in the safe recommended settings going up to a -14% and I felt a definite noticeable increase in power. I'm still playing around with adding some fuel around 3500-4000 rpm but I'm mainly trying to figure out how to solve the stalling problem after installing the intake. Adding fuel makes it a little better but the car runs rich at take off and emits black smoke out the tailpipe. The SAFCII will definitely help your power loss problem though!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1mbrews8
I just installed a k&n typhoon and it looks good, sounds good, but it feels like I lost a lot of horses. I've read most of the threads and talked to some flashers, but no one gives me a straight answer. can the safc (or anything)fix the lean condition/power loss, etc, would it be worth it, or should I return it? what intake is better aem, hks, stock, or the k&n drop in/ thanks
michael
K&N will run really really rich! HKS RS will fix the problem a lot!