Notices
Gruppe-S Engineering - California [Visit Site]

Do not buy brake pads from gruppe's

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do not buy brake pads from gruppe's

I ordered, 4 fernondo2500 brake pads for my evo8 , when gruppes were running a special on them about 3 months ago,I got them about a week later,Then brought my evo to turbotrix to have them installed.And turbotrix installed them the right way,I was standing right next to them when the pads where being installed.Anyway on my way home i heard a squealing noise comming from the brakes,everytime i tryed to stop the car.So pmed gruppes and they said that they have had alot of people complaining of the same problem.So i asked what should i do?They gruppes told me that they would replace the pads at no charge,but they were out stock at the time,so they said they would ship them right out as soon as they were back in stock,So i said great thank you,Then about 2 week later i seen a post that said the pads were back in stock,So i called them and asked when they would be shipping out my new pads,Now they change the story all around,and say that its not their fault.Its the fault of the shop that installed them,And they wanted me to pay for a new set,then send them the old set ,so they could examine them.Ok sure i already bought the pads once and they have been squeeling since day one and now im going to spend more $ on the same pads when this is their fault. then pay to ship the old ones back so they could examine them.I cant believe that they gave me their word that they would ship them out free of charge ,because they had eveyone else with the same problems.Now there saying that they were instaled improperly.when the shop that did them.do brake jobs all the time and there are no complaints.I should have just bought a set from the dealer,I really tryed to solve this problem before taking it to the fourms but i guess they really dont care .its been 3 months since i had this probem with them and they still wont help me out .
Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks. i always heard that gruppe s had the best customer support. i had a bad experience with boost solutions and planned to go with gruppe s for future mods. i think i still will, since they are the closest. hope i don't have any problems. hope you get everything worked out as well.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chill dude.

Did TT re-install the original metal shims(some places do not)? It sounds like they didn't .

One way to find out - check them out yourself .

I used those pads, and have no squeal with the OE shims installed . Sometimes a little squeal .
Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by negativeB
that sucks. i always heard that gruppe s had the best customer support. i had a bad experience with boost solutions and planned to go with gruppe s for future mods. i think i still will, since they are the closest. hope i don't have any problems. hope you get everything worked out as well.
Believe me - you won't have any worries with them

Max - my TE37 came today with a "BLUE VALVE" . Give ya a ring tomorrow

Thanks, Troy
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

You bought a set of racing brake pads. What did you expect in terms of noise? Did TT resurface the rotors? If not, how do you expect to bed the brake pads properly? If they did resurface, did you follow the proper bedding sequence?

I swear, there are so many people on this forum with such unrealistic expectations. Race brake pads squeal or groan and dust heavily. That's just how it is. How about taking some personal responsibility in your choice of brake pad? If you're looking for quiet, you bought the wrong pads. But, of course, it's not your fault. It's Gruppe-S', right?
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mhgsx
You bought a set of racing brake pads. What did you expect in terms of noise? Did TT resurface the rotors? If not, how do you expect to bed the brake pads properly? If they did resurface, did you follow the proper bedding sequence?

I swear, there are so many people on this forum with such unrealistic expectations. Race brake pads squeal or groan and dust heavily. That's just how it is. How about taking some personal responsibility in your choice of brake pad? If you're looking for quiet, you bought the wrong pads. But, of course, it's not your fault. It's Gruppe-S', right?
what he said...
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

mhgsx, thanks for explaining. now i feel better.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:00 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Interesting. I have had several cars that had brake squeal -- and it is miserable. There are a number of things that can cause it - incorrect brake in procedure, grooves in the rotor, the compound of the pad, and not to mention a lack of anti-squeal shims.

My last Porsche had this issue. I ended up replacing rotors, pads and anti-squeal shims over a 3 month period to get it silenced. The final solution was to take everything back to stock. At no time, even in my wildest dreams, did it occur to me that I should return the pads. The possibility that Gruppe-S would even offer this blows my mind -- Talk about customer service!

Oh… and as was mentioned earlier – performance/race pads will squeal. Fact of life.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:11 PM

I bet the shims were not installed.. mine squeel too.. I need to get new shims...
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:20 PM

If you want to shatter windows and make people run away in terror every time you stop, install a set of Porterfield R4s.

You'll never get better brake performance without noise/durabilty issues.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

They could have sent you new pads but it would not have fixed the problem.

You need to re-use the stock anti-squeal shims and apply copper anti-seize compound appropriately to have any chance of preventing squeal.

New pads would not have fixed this.

So while Gruppe-S might have been misguided in offering new pads to fix the problem, they wouldn't have helped anyway.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

I recently replaced all my rotors (to rotoras slotted), pads (ferodo fr/proj. mu rr) and I have an on/off noise everytime I step on my brakes, however, what I really want to say is: Gruppe-s is a reputable vendor and Max which I have done a lot of transaction with, has never given me a hard time and always delivers what he promised. I know that everyone has different experiences with vendors, but mine has been very nice so far, especially with Gruppe-S.

Max thanks for all your effort on the "BuddyClub rims transaction" and thanks for the Helix oil catchcan, it looks so nice....if you notice my avatar.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:24 PM
e8
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mhgsx

EXACTLY!

Do a little research before you post crap like this. Performance brake pads make more noise and dust(most of the time)!
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

SHIMS
Old Nov 17, 2004, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by snoop
SHIMS
What he said. My Endless pads were noise free and dusted less than stock, but I retained all the stock shims.