Notices

Oil Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Synthetic or non synthetic really isn't the number one concern, for me it's about how the oil performs real world. Jacks have asserted that the best wear for gear surfaces, synchros and bearings results from the use of OEM Diaqueen 75W-85 and that's a compelling argument when they are dealing with these boxes every day. That said I used Amsoil MTG 75W-90 in my 6-speed when I had it for 3 years/15,000 kms and had no issues and enjoyed good shift quality. I've actually never used OEM trans oil but I have a 4L tin now so I'll be using it in my JDM 8RS 5-speed now and seeing what it's like.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 04:25 PM
Gold Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
Fully agree on how much different is the GTRs tcase and rear diff an Evo ... But we use the severegear in both the tcase and rear diff of the GTR,, Sweitzer does as well, matter fact they are the ones who discovered that using the AMSOIL eliminates the issues..
Tim Sanders with one of the fastest Alpha GTRs, and ll of the Sweitzer customer and many of the Alpha customers.
Uh, GT-Rs don't have t-cases...

We see gear teeth get wiped out using the Amsoil trans fluids in high powered applications. If you are not making much power, then the trans won't care so much, but if you are then you will see some smearing on the gear teeth.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacks Transmissions
Uh, GT-Rs don't have t-cases...

We see gear teeth get wiped out using the Amsoil trans fluids in high powered applications. If you are not making much power, then the trans won't care so much, but if you are then you will see some smearing on the gear teeth.
Front diff is what I meant to relay
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And we surelly know this can happen with any other fluid. We need more technical data on this not just the simple reasoning of the last 2 trannys that came in had gear damage... I've seen this with redline, diaqueen and other fluids.

I personally ran this fluid in my car .... launched, raced ect.. in the florida summer heat for 2 years no issues. .. have customers with Shep trans running this fluid with anywhere between 400 to 700 horses and no issues.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Can redline shockproof heavy be used in the ring and pinion section of the SAYC rear differential?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:33 AM
Gold Sponsor

Originally Posted by EvocentriK
Can redline shockproof heavy be used in the ring and pinion section of the SAYC rear differential?
I would recommend sticking with the OEM fluids for that particular diff.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
Gold Sponsor

Originally Posted by apagan01
And we surelly know this can happen with any other fluid. We need more technical data on this not just the simple reasoning of the last 2 trannys that came in had gear damage... I've seen this with redline, diaqueen and other fluids.

I personally ran this fluid in my car .... launched, raced ect.. in the florida summer heat for 2 years no issues. .. have customers with Shep trans running this fluid with anywhere between 400 to 700 horses and no issues.
Look, jacks trans has already grossed $1M worth of evo trans, rear diff and t-case builds this year alone. That's a lot. It has got to the point that we can look at the wear in a trans and know what oil the customer was using. If we find they are using the wrong oil we kindly tell them and make a recommendation as to what they should switch to.

Bringing up claims about a competitors trans using it without issue and proof is not winning you any friends in my forum section either. We like what we like due to what we have observed in thousands of units. Sometimes shear numbers is all the proof you need and we definitely have a good count here.

Last edited by Jacks Transmissions; Aug 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Using Redline Heavy in the transfer case, bit of tarmac rally driving and hill climb, what the recommended oil change interval?

Thanks
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:46 PM
Gold Sponsor

Originally Posted by EvocentriK
Using Redline Heavy in the transfer case, bit of tarmac rally driving and hill climb, what the recommended oil change interval?

Thanks
My brother hasn't changed the oil in his t-case for the past 40k miles and it's still perfect. This is a big turbo car with a 4G64, so he runs the t-case pretty hard. It also has Redline Heavy.

I would say every 15-20k in your case would be playing it very safe. 30-40k if it's just a daily driver and your not abusing it too badly.

Keeping it full is the trick when you are using the right fluid. Just spending the time to pull the fill plug to make sure its full every engine oil change is far more than most people would do for their t-case.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Jack! Thank you very much sir! I'm super green to the Evo world and I believe you just saved my ***. I just bought my first Evo (IX) and I checked the trans and it was dirty. Not much metal on the plug but still dirty.

So I plopped by a Jiffy Lube on the way home ans had them throw in some gear oil JUST to get me by, anything was better (in my opinion) then that dirty oil at that point. It happened to be Pennzoil's "high-end" 75w90.

Two weeks later I noticed when it was cold it would "pop" out of 1st (no grinding or clunking) and was really notchy going into 2nd. Common problem, I know. I started reading anyways..

Long story short, EVERYONE is hyping the RL Cocktail and that's EXACTLY what I was going to run today until I saw this. I'm so damn happy I didn't retard out on that one. I do have some DiaQueen on it's way but I now know I'm in safe hands with the MT-90.

It's already much much better.

Thanks for the valuable input. I appreciate the honest comments and the wealth of knowledge you just dropped on me.

So thanks Jack!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally received the trans and tcase and i'm about to install them. Its hard for me to source the Diaqueen. Would you recommend Redline MT90 for transmission?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gepzz
I finally received the trans and tcase and i'm about to install them. Its hard for me to source the Diaqueen. Would you recommend Redline MT90 for transmission?
he clearly stated oem fluids are his top choice, but if you cant get oem then MT-90 will be second choice!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

MT-90 is a good choice from my experiance. If you live anywhere cthat gets cold though I'd stick with OE Trans fuilds. I noticed the MT-90 gets a little notchy in 1st and 2nd when it starts to get around 30 degrees. I went back to DiaQueen and it's amazing.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
My brother hasn't changed the oil in his t-case for the past 40k miles and it's still perfect. This is a big turbo car with a 4G64, so he runs the t-case pretty hard. It also has Redline Heavy.

I would say every 15-20k in your case would be playing it very safe. 30-40k if it's just a daily driver and your not abusing it too badly.

Keeping it full is the trick when you are using the right fluid. Just spending the time to pull the fill plug to make sure its full every engine oil change is far more than most people would do for their t-case.
Is there a reason to use heavy vs light shockproof in the t-case?