Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Just installed non-ic rrm turbo!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed non-ic rrm turbo!

First off....... HOLY **** this was a long *** install. 7 hours? Took me 2 months. But then again i did bend every freakin valve in the head. Well Ok i have it installed but i do have some problems/questions (if you dont mind). First one is that i dont really feel any more power than i did before install. I mean it is the first day and all but it seems to just make a loud *** noise (wastegate) but acceleration is same and all. So basically its just loud as hell but not faster. I've checked my vaccum lines they seem fine; also check all my couplers (clamps too) and they seem fine. What happens is when i am driving; if i step on it a little i can definatly hear that loud *** waste gate open anywhere from 2.8-3k rpm. But i dont feel any pull. Im in an auto which i was told by rrm that i would not feel the pull of a standard but i would also boost all the way through shifts. On second thought im kinda scared to step on it b/c its sooo loud. I mean it could scare people in their house. I was soo freakin suprised when i pull out and drove it for the 1st time. I have yet to hook up boost guage so i dont know if i do have a leak or not. Hopefully will install tomorrow; how should i run vaccum? through same boot as positive wire (battery relocate) on pass side? Well bottom line is im running and ill stay off the petal for now. If any of this info is already here just spam me with the regular (SEARCH NOOB; etc.) but im at work so kinda trying to figure it out on the fly. But i appreciate any help. Thanks.....

- Heath

IM BOOSTING (sorta)
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Uh...there are so many problems there I don't even know what to tell you. 1. the wastegate opens dependent upon boost level, not RPM's. If it's opening before you reach peak boost then you have a problem. 2. Is the turbine spooling? Can you hear it sucking in air? I'd have someone double check your install, and then triple check it. If you know anyone who can check it FOR you and knows what they're doing, that'd be ideal. It's good to get a fresh set of eyes when looking for mistakes.

Would I be wrong to assume you have no idea what boost you're actually hitting because you don't have a boost gauge?
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kelspar
I have yet to hook up boost guage so i dont know if i do have a leak or not.
Dough!
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Didn't notice that. Well, there goes any chance of reliable troubleshooting.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Well like i said ill install it tomorrow; i think there is def a problem b/c when the waste gate opens @ around 3 (always) i seem to loose boost but have a **** load of noise. Thanks for input; will check install first chance i get. Once again sorry for the noobish "post & run" but i was just looking for pointers. And no i dont have any one to look at it, i live in South MS. doubt there are any RRM fans down here. But hey anythings possible. Thanks again for the help
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

you may want to call up rrm and ask them about the wastegate spring, i believe that it is set for a certain boost out of the box, but if you took awhile to get the thing on who knows, maybe it got messed up, non-ic is pretty straight forward, not a lot of pipe, spark plugs, fuel pump, fpr... but it does get LOUD, i balanced that with a full 2.5" exhaust including the cat and all the way back.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

wastgate spring isn't going to get messed up from sitting around for a long time. if you ease into the throttle very very slowly, the wastegate will still open at aroun 3k rpm? there is definitley something wrong here just need more info.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

i wasnt implying it was sitting around, he mentioned he bent every valve... i dont know if he was trying to be dramatic or what, but it sounds like he did something he wasn't supposed to, maybe the spring got toyed with, maybe not, once the boost gauge goes in tell us what your seeing

also i would highly reccomend an EGT as well. and if you can afford it, a wideband o2.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

How do you know you are pulling enough vacuum without gauges? They can save your motor. I would invest in an EGT and a boost gauge ASAP. As for your problem, man, there are so many possibilities but you are probably losing air at one of the couplers.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

kelspar, any info on the boost gauge?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we did Mitsubishi_03's turbo we had similar issues... it was caused by boost leaks. Once the leaks were fixed, smile came back on his face when pushing it. Last issue we had, no later than 2 weeks ago, a huge exhaust leek. That car was soo freakin loud So I say look for leaks... any kind of leaks... Exhaust, vaccum, boost anything you can think of. You say the Wastegate is loud... what if it was a big #$& exhaust leak? Check it out and come back to us
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

if you have a small exhaust leak from the header to the up pipe will that cause a significant lose of power.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grubiaco
if you have a small exhaust leak from the header to the up pipe will that cause a significant lose of power.
That's the part that spools you turbo so I think it would definetly affect.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

also check your gaskets, i had some of the header and up/down pipe gaskets go bad on me.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

or buy a evo and problem will be fixed