Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Installing Custom turbo *updating as i go so i dont miss anything*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SIMSSEGA
thanks jay and can you tell me how i am supposed to mount the slim fan. I can figure out the wires easily enough but i cant seem to figure out how that thing gets mounted. And it also conflicts with my horn so im wondering what people did to get around that.
Assuming you're talking about a pusher fan: I don't have my car so I can't take a pic, but the horns are held on by basically a strap of metal and a bolt. Loosen the bolt, push both speakers to one side in a sort of sideways V, and mount the fan as per the instructions. If it's a double fan...sorry, SOL. You'd have to remove and remount the horn.

EDIT: I have a single Flex-a-Lite FAL-112 in pusher mode mounted on the passenger side. My other fan is stock.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

thanks hobie and jay i will go and get the zip tie things that sounds like a good idea and no i havent got my oil pan off i havent trried really and ive been busy all day ill go do it right now though.

EDIT: OK hobie i have tried to see what your talking about and i cant find a damn thing that is holding the pan on this is getting ridiculous this should not have taken this long. Im getting frustrated with this thing it doesnt makie sense. Can you please describe what im looking for? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SIMSSEGA; Jul 27, 2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, there's a pic of it in another thread that I meant to link to. One sec while I find it. Hit me on AIM if you want the diagram, but the pic should help.

From AznFlip's thread: BLAM!

Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

thats the oil pickup, u DO NOT want to bend that or u will starve the engine of oil and blow it up, this is why when i tapped my pan i removed the top and bottom pieces, it came off no problem. i just jiggled it a bit around the pickup, lol. only problem i have now is i didnt jbweld my plug and its leaking like a sive
Old Jul 28, 2005, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Well, you also have a 2003, and I guess they are having issues with the 2002 version. I also have a 2003, and my pan just dropped right off when I smacked it with a hammer and dowel.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

ok hobie i think this is what your talking about can i just unbolt the oil pickup pipe is that what your talking about heres a pic to make sure

Can someone take a pic of their engine bay and let my know how i am supposed to bend the dip stick pipe. Thanks

Last edited by SIMSSEGA; Jul 28, 2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

You might want to unbolt the downpipe, that would help you get the oil pan off and on. Just unbolt the hangers holding it up. They are 12mm bolts and are pretty easy to get at. If that's a picture of your pan that is. Do not remove the pick up pipe, that is not causing your problem.

Just bend the dipstick pipe towards the front, passenger side headlight a bit. Bend it with the dip stick out, your you could break it like I did , costs $15 from the dealer if you do break it.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Ok finally got it off now i was wondering if anyon could give me an over view on tapping the pan i searched and searched and all i found was people simply saying tap the oil pan or have a shop do it. Neither of which helps me. This is what i fugure i should do.

Some parts are already installed so i do have everything. If im over thinking the problem please let me know. First of all i should drill a hole then i should use the large bit in the top left to drill the hole out to the exact size making sure that the piece goes in straight. a Then all i have to do is put the correct oil fitting in and jb weld that into place. And were done. Did i miss anything it doesnt sound so hard if i take my time and keep everything inline, i shouuld be fine.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Dill with a small bit, then increase the size until you get up to 3/8. Then tap slowly, taking out the tap after every few turns and test the fitting. Don't put the fitting in too tight, or the aluminum pan could crack.

EDIT: And when you use the tap, crank it in nice and straight and slow. You may want to go to an auto parts store and get the handle for the tap (handle with the hole in the middle of it). It will make things easier.

Last edited by livelyjay; Jul 28, 2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Sorry for the delay on response, but yeah. I just unbolted it. Worked fine for me.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Crap i was supposed to finish today but the threading on the tap kit is different then the threading that i need to screw into the engine.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

finish the turbo now pics hurry (sweating, drooling, etc) aaargh custom turbo, i need i need yes please O_o
Old Nov 12, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Bump so i can find this later. Lovin it.