Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Supercharger / Turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercharger / Turbo kits

Hello,

This is my first post. I saw couple people discussing Turbo alot. But I dont see people have that much comments on Supercharger. I saw some supercharger kit on RIPP MOD. They look nice but as for Engine prolong life what is more advisable? Would it be turbo or supercharger? I saw some post on both of this kits. But still which one is more less hassle and tweaks needed on installation? I hope no one going to smoke me I really read alot on search forum. But I just need some real comments please please on people who would react to my questions.

Turbo I saw you need to upgrade alot. So price likewise is Supercharger has better price likewise too? If anyone has already done research on comparing this 2 hope they could share me a little information. Thanks in advance guys. And by the way I only got a Lancer 2002 OZ AT (I know AT.. sucks... heheheh)

Please dont smoke me Thanks again!!!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

AT, same here. The life-span of the units and your car would all depend on the tune of each device on the car. Can't really compare lemons to limes in this FI world... Good luck on your decision though.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

They're both considerable investments in both time and money. Don't take either lightly.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:11 PM

Hmmm really? So no matter what they still put almost same stress to the engine? As for to setup and tune up I found out that turbo has more things to do compared to Supercharger right? I just hate to tweak the settings on the engine too much to avoid hassles. So what do u guys think between SC and Turbo? Which one has less work to be done?

I really appreciate your reply thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Eh...lemme advise this. Rather than asking a ton of questions in this thread, try reading the some major or interesting threads in the FI forums. It'll make things a lot more complicated if you ask a slew of questions rather than finding the results yourself. None of the "kits" require much tuning, and wear has infinitely more to do with maintenance than it does whether you're using a blower or a turbo.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:18 PM

Ok ill try to read them. Thanks! I just read some and somethings I really cant understand. but maybe I should state which things I dont understand. Ill go ahead and try ur comment.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, if you're confused there's dozens of us who can help most likely.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Wouldent the turbo make alot more power in high rpm's and the SC would kill in the low rpm's? like much much better torque in the SC?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 03:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No, not necessarily.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

if you want a kit that your not going to have to worry about then supercharge is the way to go not many problems with sc kits besides belts snapping, but your most likely going to want more power in which case turbo charger is what you will need....imo sc are only good for v6's and v8's as you can see about 90% of the people on the boards both ralliarrt and evo owners have turbo chargers but the choice is yours
Old Feb 16, 2006, 08:42 PM

i dont know much about this stuff either but from what ive read so far a turbo is good if you wanna go really really fast for racing but everyday driving a s/c is better. however it depends on what you realistically want.

im assuming you own an es lancer, so you probably like how it drives already but you want more power . i would seriously ask how fast you want to go, i looked at getting a s/c but i opted for some light mods like custom air intake, headers and bigger exhaust piping and muffler.also little mods like getting better plugs ,injectors and getting a bigger cfm flow rate on your throttle body will help.

to put it in short, more fuel in+ more air in+ smoothe air out = more power.

s/c and turbos just force more air/fuel into the engine which is good but from an engineering view the 4g94 was designed for 104kw of power so if you try to push more through it engine life will be shortened.

im happy with naturally aspirated mods cos im not worried my car will blow up when i push the go fast pedal.
happy hunting
Old Feb 17, 2006, 06:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just PM Hobie your questions. That's what I always did.