Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Turbo / Supercharger setup?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What drives me nuts is seeing the currently, bone stock, restrictive and back/forth intake on the GTS. Then I see where the battery is. Without some creative bending and expense I don't see a good way to route for a FWI or CAI... all it leaves is a HAI pointing back towards the firewall and over the headers where much of the heat build ups.
Old May 13, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Turbo kits will come, the engine is built by 3 different companies and is being put into a huge car market.

When there's a will, there's a way.
Old May 13, 2007, 07:03 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dem_z
Turbo kits will come, the engine is built by 3 different companies and is being put into a huge car market.

When there's a will, there's a way.
How VERY TRUE!
Old May 17, 2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
you can always put the one that the evo will come with later on.... thats my idea, so I dont have to pay the money for a evo but still have a evo engine.
You will love the car I have a 2008 electric blue gts loaded and an evo....waiting for the X then get a new evo! I love both cars...also they are coming out with a ralli art eddition to the lancer gts with turbo 210hp to the wheel
Old May 19, 2007, 11:05 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wait 'til the new Evo comes out. Before you know it, those guys will start modding like crazy, then just buy up their cheap stock turbo parts and throw them on your Lancer. Hopefully, the two cars will use the same ECU, too, so as soon as the Evos figure out how to flash, you'll be able to do the same.
Old May 19, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I could not afford the insurance on a turbo lancer tho, young as i am, maybe later on...
Old May 19, 2007, 06:48 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
I could not afford the insurance on a turbo lancer tho, young as i am, maybe later on...
You're not supposed to tell your insurance company when you turbo your car. I wouldn't recommend turboing a CVT Lancer, anyways. At least not yet.
Old May 20, 2007, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Hey, I am new here and I wanted to know if anyone knows if a turbo can work with the CVT models.
And BTW, i believe SKUNKWORKS already has an exhaust system for the Caliber. I also have a 07 Dodge Caliber SXT and a 97 Dodge Avenger ES. My Dodge Avenger is decked out with CATBACKS, AIRINTAKES, COMBAT KIT, fully integreated racing suspensions. I was doing a research on the Caliber and Chrysler's SKUNKWORKS has already got a full racing package for the Caliber. Even the Turbocharged engine for the Caliber SRT-4 that takes the Caliber to 300hp and an optional AWD.
So if the Caliber and 08 Lancers share the same platform, we will def. see some nice parts for the Lancer. I would imagine.
Old May 20, 2007, 04:18 PM

I don't see why not. CVS is similar to automatic transmission as a clutchless mechanism that shifts gears, so it doesn't directly interact with the turbo, fuel rail, etc. I've read about a guy who turbo'd his automatic supra. Of course, anyone's free to correct me as I am somewhat of a newb myself.
Old May 20, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyMuyo
I don't see why not. CVS is similar to automatic transmission as a clutchless mechanism that shifts gears, so it doesn't directly interact with the turbo, fuel rail, etc. I've read about a guy who turbo'd his automatic supra. Of course, anyone's free to correct me as I am somewhat of a newb myself.
there are a **** load of automatic turbo supras(aftermarket and stock turbo).
Old May 21, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

A CVT has no gears at all. It is a setup of pulleys run by very reinforced belts. These new transmissions are so dialed into the ECU (or ECM or PCM or whatever you want to call it) that some changes made to the engine may cause misreads and thus transmission issues. CVT transmissions are nothing like conventional automatics except that you don't have to push a clutch. (x)speed automatics can take modifications because they have set gears and set shift points. The shift points can be changed slightly through PCM programming or shift kits or the like, but stay relatively the same because there's only so far a static gear setup can take you. CVTs have neither except when you have the shift paddle accessory, then the gears are programmed into the ECU.
Old May 21, 2007, 10:34 AM
EvoM Administrator

I feel like a broken record. I do NOT recommend you turbocharge, or even heavily mod a Lancer with the CVT. CVTs are not built to handle power and they are not serviceable. If something breaks, the entire transmission must be replaced, and they are not cheap. Hawkeye is right, as well, a CVT really has nothing in common with a traditional AT.

Last edited by otter; May 21, 2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

well if that is really the case, then it is rather depressing that mitsu would market such a slow car as being "rally inspired" with paddle shifters if you can't even tune it. that's marketing, though, i guess.

Last edited by David Kelly; May 22, 2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by David Kelly
well if that is really the case, then it is rather depressing that mitsu would market such a slow car as being "rally inspired" with paddle shifters. that's marketing, though, i guess.
Do you understand what "inspired" really means?

My last car was a Subaru Impreza 2.5rs. It had a hood scoop. The car was N/A, so it didn't have the trademark Subaru top-mount intercooler. The hood scoop was also called "rally inspired."

These cars are made to resemble rally cars. That's why they're just "inspired." If they were genuine rally cars, we'd pay $200k for them and there'd be a lot of parts that said "Ralliart" on them.

I really don't know what you were expecting when you bought the Lancer, to be honest.

[EDIT - I see you just edited your post. You can "tune" your Lancer and not blow up the CVT. But please don't think that strapping a turbo or supercharger on the car is "tuning" it. That is a drastic change to the car's entire powertrain. Not a "tweak" that "tuning" implies.]

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; May 22, 2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old May 23, 2007, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Actually, the Dodge Caliber has a turbo kit coming very soon. It's already done. SKUNKWORKS from Chrysler already put one toegether. I believe it was the same time when they finally got the body kit together.
At least that is what I read about.
They are also have the suspension kit, and strut bars, brake kits. I believe that they were able to boost it to the SRT-4 power.

Quick Reply: Turbo / Supercharger setup?