Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Yet another thread about Turboing a 03 lancer.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JRR
the pipes on the evo mani would have to be moved as for they are a little off compared to our 94's.
Ok I thought that would be the case. So anyone know if you buy the RRM manifold will that still allow the stock or aftermarket Evo DP to bolt right up? If not is there any other mani out there you can weld a 4g95 flange to without having to move the tubing? And will any of these also allow the stock evo DP?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the runners are a little off on the Evo manifolds when you put them up to a 94, but like everyone who did turbo builds with a 16g from 05 and forward have welded the flange for a 94 onto the Evo manifold and it has worked just fine for them. Once the weld is done take a dremmel and smooth out what little bit of the Evo runners you can see comeing out of the flange for the 94.
Or you can drop 900 on a custom manifold that matches up perfectly, much like the speedcorps mani.

Some projects that did just that:
HMT 16G Project

ShortBus 16G
Well actually this was this guys turbo build... here is how he built the kit, but a second person went onto using it with no problems!
LancerRally45's 16G

AZNFlip's Turbo Build

There are more but my computer is running super slow right now.

Last edited by White_KnightOZ; Jun 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Wow never seen anyone weld a flange right on top of another flange b4 lol I guess it was working for him though. Hmm.. ok so now what size of decomp head gasket are you guys running? I am getting arp headstuds and was thinking of getting a decomp that dropped me down to 9:1 that way its still lower than stock but not too low that my low end non boosting rpms are worthless.

Side note looks like I have been able to track down all the piping I was looking for and a 9 bov local to me I will as always keep ya posted.

Last edited by 03lances; Jun 9, 2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 03lances
Wow never seen anyone weld a flange right on top of another flange b4 lol I guess it was working for him though. Hmm.. ok so now what size of decomp head gasket are you guys running? I am getting arp headstuds and was thinking of getting a decomp that dropped me down to 9:1 that way its still lower than stock but not too low that my low end non boosting rpms are worthless.

Side note looks like I have been able to track down all the piping I was looking for and a 9 bov local to me I will as always keep ya posted.
Instead of running a decomp gasket to get down to 9.0:1, just run 9.0:1 pistons. The decomp gaskets are only rated up to 18psi and are notorious for failing with the guys in the mirage forums.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ +1

If your getting head studs don't worry about the head gasket, pistons can take care of the compression rate you want.

Have you ordered the head studs yet? I ordered mine almost 2 weeks ago and it still says on the speedcorps site they haven't shipped yet.

I just did it cuz i thought i would rather do it now and get them before new owners take over and might not offer them, but they might not even be running it anymore. ::
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Ya I am kinda afraid to order anything from there just for right now as sounds like with all the stuff going on might take awhile to get the stuff. Plus I just find the cheapest price on the quality parts I want. The forge AWG I found for $165 new but hoping to find it used cheaper. I am going to at least get a metal headgasket for sure and new timing belt. Would an adjustable cam gear be a good mod for timing adjustment? And is 1550cfm enough for slim fan?

Last edited by 03lances; Jun 9, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Would an adjustable cam gear be a good mod for timing adjustment?
You would be better suited picking up an adjustable cam gear if you are getting a cam also.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Ok well then I will probably wait on that one then I dont plan on getting a cam right now anyways. You know what? It seems like to more I learn about this the more questions I come up with Answer one and create 5 Its all good though cause its all about the boost am I right
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
Instead of running a decomp gasket to get down to 9.0:1, just run 9.0:1 pistons. The decomp gaskets are only rated up to 18psi and are notorious for failing with the guys in the mirage forums.
I want to but right now I am doing this as cheaply (but still reliable and properly at least for the most part) as possible. Basically I wanna do this for now and if I ever happen to blow something then I can go in and build the internals. Senate I know before you told me I can use my stock FPR as long as I have the 440 wrx and walbro which I do, however, would a stock Evo FPR benefit me in any way? I seen another turbo'd lancer running a evo FPR but dont know if it actually was helping or not?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

I want to but right now I am doing this as cheaply (but still reliable and properly at least for the most part) as possible. Basically I wanna do this for now and if I ever happen to blow something then I can go in and build the internals. Senate I know before you told me I can use my stock FPR as long as I have the 440 wrx and walbro which I do, however, would a stock Evo FPR benefit me in any way? I seen another turbo'd lancer running a evo FPR but dont know if it actually was helping or not?
I'm not sure how an Evo FPR would help on our engine. This is a new one to me. Maybe someone can chime in on how the Evo FPR is different, if at all...
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

the EVO uses a 1:1 rising rate FPR.

it wont bolt up without modification to the fuel rail.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g94T
the EVO uses a 1:1 rising rate FPR.

it wont bolt up without modification to the fuel rail.
Good to know. Too bad it's not bolt-on. It would make an inexpensive alternative to an aftermarket 1:1.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info on the FPR, I will probably get a RR FPR for now. Im gonna order my Evo8 ecu tomorrow!!! Whenever I buy the tactrix cable should I throw the ecu in before I get the turbo parts together and get it running good, or should I wait and put it in when throwing everything else on??? also which cable is better the 1.3 or 2.0 or does it really matter?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wait, so if something happends you have to trouble shoot one less thing.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info on the FPR, I will probably get a RR FPR for now. Im gonna order my Evo8 ecu tomorrow!!! Whenever I buy the tactrix cable should I throw the ecu in before I get the turbo parts together and get it running good, or should I wait and put it in when throwing everything else on??? also which cable is better the 1.3 or 2.0 or does it really matter?
I would wait until you have your turbo installed. It will be much easier to tune as the fuel/ignition needs will be closer than installing a turbo ECU on a non-turbo engine.

Quick Reply: Yet another thread about Turboing a 03 lancer.