Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Custom 16G6 Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2005, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom 16G6 Turbo Project

Well I've been searching and doing lot's of homework about custom turbo (might have some questions later though ). Well I already bought some good stuff.. If you look at my sig. that's all the stuff I bought so far.

Turbo install is finished (8.11.05)

Price

Used Evo 8 16G6 Turbo: $250.00
Used Evo 8 Intercooler with complete piping: $237.00
Used Evo 8 Blow Off Vavle: $20.00 It broke, cheap a$$, garbage
Used Evo 8 Intake Tube: $20.00
Used Forge Evo 7/8 Adjustable Wastegate Actuator: $108.00
Brand New SS Custom Turbo Manifold: $325.00
Brand New SS Custom Evo O2 Housing: $50.00
Brand New Hallman Boost Controller Pro Kit: $79.00
Brand New Forge Actuator #8 5-10 psi Spring: $23.00
Brand New Oil Line Kits: $78.00
Brand New Blox 12:1 FMU : $83.00
Brand New TRE 255LHP Fuel Pump: $79.00
Brand New Boost Gauge: $57.00
Brand New 9" Slim Fan: $80.00
Misc. Parts/Supplies: $35.00
One gallon and a quart of Castrol 20w50 Non-Syntectic Oil : $12.00
Fram Oil Filter: $5.00
Brand New BOV: $77.00
Custom Downpipe: $120.00

Total so far: $1,733

Last edited by AznFlip; Aug 15, 2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 18, 2005, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those guys are really nice. I was talking to them a while ago for a my engine swap. but good luck on your project. keep us posted.
Old May 18, 2005, 05:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

They'll probably have to machine you a turbo flange, unless I'm just not realizing that the turbo you're using is somewhat common. It's not a huge deal, just the first thing I thought when looking at the exhaust inlet. Good luck.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Well I just got home from the shop. Well I talk to this one guy (Andre) he's really familiar with DSM and Evos. Well he told me that I will need a custom o2 housing because the stuck evo 8 wastegate is set at 11 psi, so I'll need an external wastegate. Well I got qouted about $900.00 for custom manifold and o2 housing. So what do you think Andrew? It is a good deal?
Old May 18, 2005, 07:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude - beef up the pistons and rods and run at 11psi!
Old May 18, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Dude - beef up the pistons and rods and run at 11psi!
well actually that's my plan later this year. But right now, turbo budget is limited . I am still figuring out where to get the money. Well right now I am selling my RRM header and Accolade Evo 7 front end. Trying to spend no more than 2g on this set up....err I'll see.
Old May 18, 2005, 08:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I don't think turbo is a "on a tight budget" kinda project. If you can't afford to do everything safely, don't do it at all.

Use the money for the wastegate to start saving for internals.
Old May 18, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Personally, I don't think turbo is a "on a tight budget" kinda project. If you can't afford to do everything safely, don't do it at all.

Use the money for the wastegate to start saving for internals.
I'll give myself one week and I'll see if I'll back out or not

Last edited by AznFlip; May 18, 2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old May 18, 2005, 08:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AznFlip
Well I just got home from the shop. Well I talk to this one guy (Andre) he's really familiar with DSM and Evos. Well he told me that I will need a custom o2 housing because the stuck evo 8 wastegate is set at 11 psi, so I'll need an external wastegate. Well I got qouted about $900.00 for custom manifold and o2 housing. So what do you think Andrew? It is a good deal?
You don't need an external wastegate.. you can use the internal one, you just need an adjustable actuator and a 5lb spring.. (Contact Forge Motorsport, they sell an adjustable wastegate actuator)

You might want to buy an inexpensive evo turbo header off ebay, and have them modify the header flange portion to fit your car, at least you'll start with a close fit to begin with.. I don't recall on your Lancer, but if the engine is oriented the same as the Evo, (Engine toward the passenger side, and exhaust manifold to the front) you should be able to use the O2 housing, and adapt a stock Evo Downpipe..

Hope this helps your quest..
Old May 18, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
You don't need an external wastegate.. you can use the internal one, you just need an adjustable actuator and a 5lb spring.. (Contact Forge Motorsport, they sell an adjustable wastegate actuator)

You might want to buy an inexpensive evo turbo header off ebay, and have them modify the header flange portion to fit your car, at least you'll start with a close fit to begin with.. I don't recall on your Lancer, but if the engine is oriented the same as the Evo, (Engine toward the passenger side, and exhaust manifold to the front) you should be able to use the O2 housing, and adapt a stock Evo Downpipe..

Hope this helps your quest..
I was just looking at those evo manifold on ebay..really cheap . Hmm.. are you sure you can change the evo internal wastegate spring? Well I thought you can't change springs on internals wastegate. Well I believe you. Thanks, that's relief for me.

Is this 5.83 lbs spring will be okay?

Last edited by AznFlip; May 18, 2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old May 18, 2005, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...roduct=FMEVACT this is the link to one of the adjustable actuators I'm thinking of, you'd have to contact them about using a lower rate spring.. But if you remove the actuator from the wastegate flapper, it flips open with no effort.. so the rate is governed completely by the actuator.

The big issue is whether it will "Work right" at 5psi...

And the manifold design isn't that important, its going to end up reworked to some extent, just try to find one thats using fairly think material.. All you really need is the tubing, collector and flange.. the flange to the engine can be an inexpensive OBX stainless header for the lancer 2.0 engine.. Probably $300 for the two headers, and $150 to have a shop do the rework for you.. you just have to try to do the whole thing on your car, since there may be some difference in clearance and location of the starter or A/C compressor that may require you to alter the location of the turbo.
Old May 18, 2005, 09:11 PM
EvoM Guru

FWIW if you can get the location of the turbo right, the intercooler pipes should line up almost perfectly, even the intake pipe and BOV should be real close.. You'll also have to get a mini-battery kit, relocate the battery to the trunk, or move the battery to the same location where the Evo battery is (Evo battery tray) not sure what would be in the way over there on your car though.
Old May 18, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Isn't the stock lancer manifold flange is cast iron right? and 44mm steel manifold from ebay is good enough?

Well for the battery, I'll have to see it first, if it will be on the way I'll get a mini batter like you said.

Thanks,
JOhn
Old May 18, 2005, 10:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

$900 for a custom job is about right, yes. Not necessarilly the best option, but ultimately that choice is up to you. The battery should be the least of your concerns. That's a 45-60 minute mod from opening the box to starting the car assuming you go the slightly more complicated route and put it in your trunk.
Old May 18, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

I think I might just do what Jack said.

Quick Reply: Custom 16G6 Turbo Project