Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

02 Lancer ES Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude ate my new hero lol thanks a lot
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:18 AM

You are my new hero.....stupid iPhone auto corrects

Last edited by Wewocadet; Jan 5, 2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Misspell
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:30 AM

What exactly does this mean? safc/emanage/standalone. I was told I need these for a turbo?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
hey guys need more help on 2 things.

1.) How do I connect the coolant lines to my turbo? "TD05HR 16G 9.8" and what size tees do I need to tee off the coolant line "I saw it on a picture"

2.) The Manifold. should I Drill out the holes in the flange to fit my engine, or should I just weld a G94 flange to the on the manifold drill out the runner holes, and widen the runners to match my engine exhast holes?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by steven121
hey guys need more help on 2 things.

1.) How do I connect the coolant lines to my turbo? "TD05HR 16G 9.8" and what size tees do I need to tee off the coolant line "I saw it on a picture"

2.) The Manifold. should I Drill out the holes in the flange to fit my engine, or should I just weld a G94 flange to the on the manifold drill out the runner holes, and widen the runners to match my engine exhast holes?

1.) Easy. u have 2 coolant lines going to and from the heater core lines to the throttle body. u can divert the two lines going to the throttle body to the turbo. your in TX.. u dont need coolant lines heating your throttle body.. what size line? hrmm.. i think its about a -6an line. but u could just pull off those two lines and go to autozone and get something similiar size. u need need atleast a 1ply line, autoparts stores carry the correct type of hose, and they will cut the length(i would assume about 6 feet would be needed and also 4 clamps)

2.) umm.. really either way works. but to insure a good seal with the gasket u should have the flange welded on over it, i dont suggest cutting off the old flange, that pipe on those megan manifolds r very thin.. runners are close enough to each other that u dont have to widen the runners.. the runners on the turbo manifold are alot larger then the exhaust ports on the 4g94 head, so u shouldnt be hindering the flow much at all with the runners being slightly off..
but i would suggest welding. u would still need to drill out the holes threw the flange.. and im sure putting bolts on the head might be difficult with a thick flange(i think other had that problem)

if u can cut back the flange, without cutting the pipe and still connect the two flanges for the bolts, that would be ideal i think. still a big flange, but then u would only have the thickness of one flange where u put your bolts on, and im sure it would be easy to weld up that way also.

excuse any typos or any sentences that might not make sense.. i didnt read over anything i wrote. but all is accurate.

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Jan 5, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Demon_ni2
1.) Easy. u have 2 coolant lines going to and from the heater core lines to the throttle body. u can divert the two lines going to the throttle body to the turbo. your in TX.. u dont need coolant lines heating your throttle body.. what size line? hrmm.. i think its about a -6an line. but u could just pull off those two lines and go to autozone and get something similiar size. u need need atleast a 1ply line, autoparts stores carry the correct type of hose, and they will cut the length(i would assume about 6 feet would be needed and also 4 clamps)

2.) umm.. really either way works. but to insure a good seal with the gasket u should have the flange welded on over it, i dont suggest cutting off the old flange, that pipe on those megan manifolds r very thin.. runners are close enough to each other that u dont have to widen the runners.. the runners on the turbo manifold are alot larger then the exhaust ports on the 4g94 head, so u shouldnt be hindering the flow much at all with the runners being slightly off..
but i would suggest welding. u would still need to drill out the holes threw the flange.. and im sure putting bolts on the head might be difficult with a thick flange(i think other had that problem)

if u can cut back the flange, without cutting the pipe and still connect the two flanges for the bolts, that would be ideal i think. still a big flange, but then u would only have the thickness of one flange where u put your bolts on, and im sure it would be easy to weld up that way also.

excuse any typos or any sentences that might not make sense.. i didnt read over anything i wrote. but all is accurate.

ok I got the manifold part down, but Im a little confused on the coolant lines.

Is it possible you can show me a pick of how to set it up? I lol I know what the throttle body is but I was just confused on the heater core. If you can show me pics I will know exactly what you mean. Thanks for your help man.

Oh yeah I just read more stuff sorry ok the heater core I might need to keep the lines on because he weather down here changes alot and during the winter it ges really cold one day the warm then it will be cold for a week then warm for one day. so bascially how can I keep the heater core lines on the throttle body and divert them to the turbo?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

i have a megan manifold with a 94 flange welded on the 63 flange all you need to do is port out the outside runners a lil bit and if any on the inside ones, and redrill out the holes and yea its hard to get it in there since its way thicker and when you do this you must get larger studs i think i went with 50mm ( just need the the inside ones,7 if i remember, you could if you want get larger ones for the out side but the stock ones worked for me) and this is what makes it hard cause of the one stud closest to the power steering ( arrow) but you just need to take two bolts holding it( red circle) in a pry it a lil and you can get it in with a lil bit of wiggling it in there
Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  76.3 KB
and bracing the manifold is a good idea lucky for me i got one that had it done already and so far no cracking and i even have it wrapped
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

ok I got the manifold part down, but Im a little confused on the coolant lines.

Is it possible you can show me a pick of how to set it up? I lol I know what the throttle body is but I was just confused on the heater core. If you can show me pics I will know exactly what you mean. Thanks for your help man.

Oh yeah I just read more stuff sorry ok the heater core I might need to keep the lines on because he weather down here changes alot and during the winter it ges really cold one day the warm then it will be cold for a week then warm for one day. so bascially how can I keep the heater core lines on the throttle body and divert them to the turbo?
just look at your trottle body, there are two coolant lines that go to the bottom of it. there like, 6 inches long each. heater core lines go to the firewall.

if u have a hard time locating stuff because u dont know what it is u might need to call a few buddies to help u with your install. its all very simple stuff.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by link62
clean your motor link!!! Ewwwwww
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wewocadet
Ok thanks a lot. I am gonna do a lot more checking into then before buying a full blown kit and get laughed at cuz it sux lol. All suggestions are welcomed ESP good sites
OK, i've gotta chime in here. You need a lot more time before you buy that turbo. Do yourself a favor and start searching this forum about the "TSI turbo kit". Thats the kit from turbokits.com. In fact, theres a sticky on the top of this page that i wrote a long time ago detailing that kit and what you'll need. Its a good kit, i ran a custom version of it for a while, but it does need modification. If you want something thats just gonna bolt on with instructions and limited work, go for Road Race's 16g kit. a T25/28 is fine for goals under 250hp (the lancer can only reach 230ish anyway without engine modification). 16g just flows better.

EDIT - and as for transmission work. The stock clutch can only handle so much. It will need to be replaced soon after you boost. Mine held up at 6psi for 3-4 months, then i bumped up to 7psi and within a month it was slipping. By the end of the 2nd month at 7psi i couldnt even put more than 50% throttle in 1st or 2nd gear.

Last edited by Sicktght311; Jan 6, 2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

clean your motor link!!! Ewwwwww
lol it was worse when i got the car but i slowly been cleaning it but i might do what all the cool kids do and just get a new motor lol
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Update!!!

ok guys just another update I finally completed the oil system to the turbo took a long time. But im still waiting on a couple parts to arrive "t3/t4 oil return flange" and my stock evo 8 downpipe"

here are some picsof the parts I got. when I get the evo 8 downpipe does it need to be modified to fi the housing I have "megan 03 housing"?

oil return and feed
Name:  DSC02797.jpg
Size:  95.2 KB

oil feed sandwhich adapter
Name:  DSC02798.jpg
Size:  108.0 KB

the gold piece is the oil feed
Name:  DSC02801.jpg
Size:  86.2 KB
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

just look at your trottle body, there are two coolant lines that go to the bottom of it. there like, 6 inches long each. heater core lines go to the firewall.

if u have a hard time locating stuff because u dont know what it is u might need to call a few buddies to help u with your install. its all very simple stuff.
do you mean these two hoses?

and if so do I tee them off, buy two more lines and coonect them to the feed and return? and which hose goes to the return and feed part of the turbo?

Name:  DSC02806-Copy.jpg
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  DSC02803.jpg
Size:  111.2 KB
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by link62
lol it was worse when i got the car but i slowly been cleaning it but i might do what all the cool kids do and just get a new motor lol
lol.. ya.. i hate being in that club.. LOL

but seriouslly.. go get like.. 3 bottles of brake cleaner. and a bottle or two of engine degreaser(the foam stuff) and some purple power. start sprayin everything.. wash it off.. respray and get a brush into anywhere u can.. and rinse again..
purple power really is the best at engine stuff.. just keep it away from stuff with pain unless u plan on rubbin and rinsing pretty quick.

my new motor is.. well lets just say its clean enough to lick.. ill be repainting it next week. so it looks freakin perfect. ill have it back from psi tuesday.. so we will see how stuf starts to pan out with my car fresh painted and built motor. new custom valve cover, new custom intake manifold, turbo manifold, bigger turbo, custom intercooling pipes.. its gunna be HOT! oh.. and a super wiretuck also.. ive been workin on that for a little while now..

clean engine goes a long way! (also helps to show any problems quicker if u have a bad seal or something.)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

do you mean these two hoses?

and if so do I tee them off, buy two more lines and coonect them to the feed and return? and which hose goes to the return and feed part of the turbo?

yes those two hoses, just take them off, u dont need your tb to been warmed by coolant. and run them to the sides of the turbo.

Quick Reply: 02 Lancer ES Turbo Project