Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Help me with my turbo install thx k bye (2002 OZ Rally)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Barder
I don't know much about oil. So I did research on here about what oil to use and narrowed it down to 20w 50. I have 175,000 miles on this motor. When this motor craps out I will be swaping in the same 4g94 engine with 50,000 miles on it. Should I use the same oil then?

Got this car in 2013 not knowing how to drive manual or change my oil. Never owned a Turbo'd car before...
When I start running boost usually my eyes get big and adrenaline kicks in. Then I push the clutch, hear the bov, and I scream some sounds (of excitement) ....not words but sounds

20w50 is way too thick/heavy for your engine...I would go to 10w30.

research oil viscosity vs. temperature...when your engine is turbo charged, the oil will be hotter than normal if you're not using an oil cooler, as it passes through the center section of the turbo, which gets hot as ****...
Old Aug 18, 2016, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...c-oil-bad.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...bo-lancer.html

10w30 mobile 1 is what i ran NA. The posts above are the reasons i switched to 20w50.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 07:11 PM

Started data logging knock counts today. Some peaked at 18. I have been working on it and its starting to make sense. Got all of them down to at least single digits. Just came back from a drive and logged a high of 3. Feels good to make progress.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...c-oil-bad.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...bo-lancer.html

10w30 mobile 1 is what i ran NA. The posts above are the reasons i switched to 20w50.
a lot of that is hearsay, do some research outside of the forum for stuff like this, for a better understanding...

there are some really great DIY tuning threads on here, specifically in the Evo 1-9 section.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
you have an oil pressure gauge what type of pressures you running at idle. I agree that 20w-50 is excessive for this engine it does have a bit of miles on it. so perhaps it needs the thicker oil to have enough oil pressure. though if your turbo is in good working order it may not like that. also I have and will always run synthetic oil in my lancer with or without boost, I use to run Mobil 1 and have had no issue though I am going to be switching to AMS oil here shortly. good luck on the tuning it always feels better to have done something yourself. keep up posted ever plan on getting it dyno'd to see what its putting down?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
There's absolutly no rason to run 20w50 engine oil in your car man....i race my car on on the track and im using 10w30 oil! Make sure ur using synthetic oil because conventional oil breaks down at lower temperatures and leaves deposits in the turbo oil passages which leads to no lubrification on the turbine shaft journal bearings and then shaft play comes in and destroys your housings. Im using Amsoil Dominator 10w30 oil and i havent had any problems running it on the race track in the past 2 years.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by marcouxa1
There's absolutly no rason to run 20w50 engine oil in your car man....i race my car on on the track and im using 10w30 oil! Make sure ur using synthetic oil because conventional oil breaks down at lower temperatures and leaves deposits in the turbo oil passages which leads to no lubrification on the turbine shaft journal bearings and then shaft play comes in and destroys your housings. Im using Amsoil Dominator 10w30 oil and i havent had any problems running it on the race track in the past 2 years.
Thanks for the input everyone. Ams 10w30 it is. Ill change it this week.

Just went to MAPerformance Subie car show. They had 60 dollar dynos available. Since im not done tuning i didnt sign up. But the show was good. It was there first year but nice turn out. Mitsu car show is next Sunday which will be much better.

Had a prosport wideband which i found out is hard to log with... So i got an aem one. Now i can log my afr! Yay!
The following users liked this post:
maperformance (Aug 23, 2016)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 08:35 PM

Little update:

Changed the oil a couple weeks ago and its been running great so far. So far I like the no power steering. Parking lots are not bad. Its hard to steer but haven't had any problems. Wet roads make it really easy to steer also. When the car is moving I can use two fingers to hold the wheel.

Made a clip of me heading on to the interstate. Its almost a perfectly flat road. Very small incline. Check Engine Light never flashed... always a good feeling.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounded so good. Makes me miss my lancer.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Mainly removed power steering because i dont like how it looks in the engine bay.

Pic of Power steering lines conected together.
Wish I had known it was this easy I would have deleted my power steering. So you just took the hoses and put it back to itself? What about the belt? Did you change it?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 06:59 PM

Yes just connected the two together. I also removed my ac and since they use the same belt i was able to just remove the belt.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Also might wanna make sure the rack Hase fluid in it. "So the seals move freely" and if you pull your AC all out I believe STM sells a block off plate for the firewall.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:56 AM

Okay thanks for the info. I look into it. Im guessing an evo one would work
Old Sep 26, 2016, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah our body's are the same goes right on. I purchased the OEM Mitsubishi one for 10$ its under exterior. They also have a carbon fiber version for 20ish
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:52 AM

where did you get the turbo from?

Quick Reply: Help me with my turbo install thx k bye (2002 OZ Rally)