Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Laptop screen

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2003, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laptop screen

I got that laptop at home with a very great screen but ****ty internals... The laptop would be able to handle a DVD drive or anything. I would like to take the screen off it and plug a dvd player to it. What would I need to hook up the screen to the player?
Old Jan 27, 2003, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont think its possible, i had a buddy that looked into that once. Im talking about taking the monitor off the laptop and using it. If you want to keep the laptop in one piece you could do that.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

you basically would have to make a converter yourself ... I don't believe there exists a connection to convert regular video into the connection that a laptop uses...
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

What you would need to do in this case, if you were going to try to remove the laptop screen, would be some sort of a custom enclosure (unless you could mod the existing plastic) and a custom video/audio converter. I believe you would need to find a way to make a vga-a/v plug so that you could port a "dvd player" to it.

My personal thought would be to hookup a DVD-rom into the laptop itself and figure out a way to mod it into the scheme of things. Maybe disconnect the screen, mounting it on the dash somehow ... and have hidden cables running to the laptop itself. The laptop could then have an accessable dvd-player so you play them on the screen. This may be hard to do though ... as long cables like that would probably also need to be custom made .. that sounds like fun :P

If you realllly want to create a vga-v/a cable ... you could find a "vga adapter" like they made for the sega dreamcast and mod it to work ... i've even seen how-to's online on creating a standard av-vga converter .. but it may be tricky when dealing with latptop wires ... eek ..
Old Jan 28, 2003, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a good idea but alot of work, good luck though .
Old Jan 28, 2003, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.mars-cam.com/video_convert/convert.html

this kinda thing? good luck figuring out all the laptop wires. go buy a portable mini dvd player if that's what you want.

more info: http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/vga2tv/

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...a2palntsc.html