Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Installing the amp.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing the amp.

I am looking to install a amp this weekend, I was looking to follow the sticky guide on these forums, but it seems some people disagree with this install. Would anyone recommend a better way to install the wire in a 2002 oz rally lancer, manual drive. Or would I just be better off paying shop to do it?
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Which wire?? Installing an amp for a stereo is perfectly fine as long as you do the wiring properly. If you are talking about the power cable, mine goes thru a little rubber gromet thing in my firewall underneath/behind the glovebox, from there it runs under the carpet along the door sills of the passanger side to the amp in my trunk. (power wire has fuse right after battery terminal) If you are talking about the ground wire, it goes to a metal exposed part on the chassis, which there are plenty of if you lift up the spare tire well and carpet in the trunk/back seat. The 12v remote wire just goes to the headunit power antenna lead. Doing it yourself is simple. As long as you can cut wires and crimp those little terminals on them and work a screw driver.. you can install an amp.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

I take another train of thought... if you are not 100% confident in what you are doing with installing any electrical gear, take it to a professional. there are a lot of bad things that can happen when you have big power wire strung through the metal frame of a car, such as fires, ECU's buring out etc. it's just not good.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
Which wire?? Installing an amp for a stereo is perfectly fine as long as you do the wiring properly. If you are talking about the power cable, mine goes thru a little rubber gromet thing in my firewall underneath/behind the glovebox, from there it runs under the carpet along the door sills of the passanger side to the amp in my trunk. (power wire has fuse right after battery terminal) If you are talking about the ground wire, it goes to a metal exposed part on the chassis, which there are plenty of if you lift up the spare tire well and carpet in the trunk/back seat. The 12v remote wire just goes to the headunit power antenna lead. Doing it yourself is simple. As long as you can cut wires and crimp those little terminals on them and work a screw driver.. you can install an amp.
can you post a pic of where that hole is??i have mines running thru the side(like in the sticky thread) but i dont like that...
Old Jun 8, 2005, 08:51 PM

Well the sticky version just has it going to the driver side over the wheel, and there was a few comments saying this is bad, and on my old car i had it though the glove box ish area like mentioned because my battery was on the passenger side, but since its on the drivers side is it smart to string it all the way though to the passenger side?
Old Jun 9, 2005, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

My battery is on the driver side and I just ran the power wire on top of the cooling fan, and zip tied it to make sure that it didn't fall or anything. It will be fine running it like that, you could even just run it along the firewall, just make sure its not in the way of anymoving parts or anything that can pinch that line and cause a short. The hole wiretap is talking about is a black rubber boot on the passenger side of the firewall. If u look u will see a large bunch of wires running in that. All u have to do is make a little hole and the wire through there. I have found it to be very easy to just put a coat hanger through the boot from the inside of the car so the tip is sticking out of the boot in the engine bay. Then just tape your wire to the coat hanger and pull it through. Sometimes its a pain to get the wire through. One last note, not to sounds like a dick but it really sounds liek you have no idea what your doing. Thats fine cause we all start somewhere. Your best bet is to get a friend that knows how to do it and get them to help, because it is very easy, but can be dangerous if u dont know what ur doin.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Or if you don't want to try to rip it thru with a coat hangar, you can take out that little round black "plug" type thing that wires go thru and use a hole punch to make a hole for the wire to go through so it slips throught easily. I think it would be easier for you to take it and have a friend help you that has done it before, or maybe have a professional do it. When pro's do it, usually they will zip tie all your amp wires together and have them running real nice so it gives it a clean look. That might be your best bet.