Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Firewall and 4 Guage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firewall and 4 Guage

Where can I get through and into the car using 4 guage wire? Ive seen the how to at the top but the 4 guage is not going to fit through the grommet in the door. Ive seen the one grommet in the firewall on the passenger side. I fed the wire through there but I could not reach the cable once it was in the car...

Any ideas?
Old Oct 26, 2003, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use the grommet that goes into the opening between the fender liner and front fender. I had 1/0 fed through there, so you should have no trouble with 4 gauge. Plus it comes out in the left front corner there by the spray reservoir, which is a perfect place to mount a fuse holder. To get at the backside, just remove the 8 or so fasteners holding the fender liner to the fender, and you can flex it down enough to get your hands in there. Plus the wire will come out in the car right near the kick panel, so it is easy to run it to the back of the car down the sill.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Would you happen to have a pic of this area?
Old Oct 26, 2003, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

I actually ran 1/0 gauge through a hole I drilled through the firewall. I popped a new rubber grommet in hole, ran wire through. You need to just go back and forth locating bolts in engine compartment that match up to bolts going through drivers side (or pass.) underdash area. This will give you a rough idea as to where you can drill through firewall without hitting anything important. Be careful though, and triple check.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SNapz
Would you happen to have a pic of this area?
This is taken from upside down in the driver's footwell. Red line indicates my SBC-IDIII line, which is where I previously had the 1/0. Other than that yours will look like this.
Attached Thumbnails Firewall and 4 Guage-grommet.jpg  

Last edited by Hammerli; Oct 26, 2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks. So I just take of the fender lining and then it is easy to access that grommet? Is it just little clips or is there also a bolt or two that has to come off?
Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Why drill if you can avoid it, here you can see where the line enters the engine compartment, which is ideal place for fuse holder, accessible and relatively cool area.
Attached Thumbnails Firewall and 4 Guage-solenoid.jpg  
Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SNapz
Thanks. So I just take of the fender lining and then it is easy to access that grommet? Is it just little clips or is there also a bolt or two that has to come off?
There are two styles of clips, some are the Philips head type expansion like front undertray, and some are press type expansion. One 10mm bolt about 1/2 the way up front edge also. No need to remove liner, just flex it enough to pull the overlap from the fender, and it will pull down enough to get your arms in there (wear a tight fitting long sleeve shirt to save your arms from wear and tear). I found it easiest to lie in the footwell and feed the line out to my GF, who held the grommet in place and guided the line out. You'll have to make a slice in the upper portion of the grommet to allow the wire to pass through. I made mine in the shape of an * so that it sealed up well afterwards. Also make sure once you get it exactly the length you want, your last "pull" is towards the outside of the car. That will cause all of the "tabs" from the cut to be angled out rather than in. That is just in case that area ever gets water in it (shouldn't under normal conditions), the tabs won't funnel water into the grommet but rather ramp it away from the grommet.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help. Gettin dark tonight so I will try on Thursday.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

The one on the fender.. Is that for EVO or for the Lancer? I have a Lancer and there is a grommet there however it looks extremely hard to get at. I think it might might be in a slightly different place.

For those that have drilled through the firewall can you show me a picture of where you did.

Thanks. Also there is a grommet in the engine bay on the passenger side however when I put the wire through there I have no way to get at it to pull it down. Has anyone actually threaded a wire through there?
Old Nov 2, 2003, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Nevermind. I got it figured out. The easiest way is the grommet on the passenger side. Just pop it out and feed the wire through. Very easy. Will have my subs in tommorow.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:03 AM

when you are doing your system it is a good rule of thumb to run the power wire on the same side of the battery.......