Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Fiberglass Enclosure Project

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like both our projects are coming alone pretty well. Good job so far Livelyjay
Old Aug 5, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, tonight I should be able to cut the box down to the size I want, and get the rings mounted on dowels. If I have enough time I might even get to gluing the fabric on for the next step. I'll post pictures of the cut down box and with the rings mounted.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Dakron is that white filler stuff you put in...maybe it's called something else, but i've always heard it called dakron..i get mine at the same place I get my carpet from...
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

If you don't feel like paying Dakron prices, hit the wal-mart and grab a bag of polyfill. You'll find it in the fabrics section, it's the crap they use to stuff pillows and quilts. Last time I got some it was $1.25 for a pound. (a pound is an assload of polyfill)
Old Aug 5, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a question for you gurus or the fiberglass and sound system. What should I use to make my sub's connection. I've got that push down piece of crap I thaught about using, but the metal connection seems fairly small. I'm broke and can't afford a high end connector(even if it's only 5$). If I was to make my own connectors, how should I do them?(btw, I'm taking about the piece that goes on the side of the box to connect the sub to the amp)

Originally Posted by Higgity Hank
it's the crap they use to stuff pillows and quilts. Last time I got some it was $1.25 for a pound. (a pound is an assload of polyfill)
1 pound will most likely be way too much, but to what ratio should we fill the box? 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 filled?
Old Aug 5, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

I dunno, i just loosely stuff it...

You don't need to have any terminals on the box - I never do...caulking or windshield gum works good...just gotta seal the hole that the wire passes thru...
Old Aug 5, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Depending on how damped you want the box it's usually around half a pound to each cubic foot. Vary to your tastes.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Higgity Hank
Depending on how damped you want the box it's usually around half a pound to each cubic foot. Vary to your tastes.

Yeah, listen and see what you like more...

More dakron will make it "think" its in a bigger box...so you do lose some of the tightness...but _SHOULD_ go a tad lower when you do...

just listen to it after you add some...but when you do find what you like, take it all out and then listen to it so you know and appreciate the difference
Old Aug 6, 2004, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

I already have poly fill from my other box, so I'm all set there. Here are two more pictures of the box after I cut it down to size. I cut off a lot of glass, but I like the size of it now. I mounted dowels right after I took these pictures, and I will mount the ring tonight (damn liquid nails taking overnight to dry).

Old Aug 6, 2004, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Looks good! I think you cut off a little more than you want, but not a big deal...if you go more from where the factory carpet's lines are you get more of a factory look to it....

And as far as liquid nails go, Hot glue does the same thing It only has to hold the stretched material, it's not a brace or anything...
Old Aug 6, 2004, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

The main point of this project was to get a small enclosure built. The subwoofer is rated for a little under 1 cubic foot of air space, so I think this enclosure will be enough. I may have cut off a little more than I wanted, but I got the look I was going for. If I was doing this for looks I probably would have pulled the lines off the end of the wheel well to fill up that entire corner.

I used liquid nails for the dowels, and those need to have at least a little strength to hold the rings in place while I pull fabric and get the resin and glass layed down. I'm going to try and find my hot glue gun for the fabric and hopefully I can, other wise it's going to be a pain laying the fabric and getting it to stay in place.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by livelyjay
The main point of this project was to get a small enclosure built. The subwoofer is rated for a little under 1 cubic foot of air space, so I think this enclosure will be enough. I may have cut off a little more than I wanted, but I got the look I was going for. If I was doing this for looks I probably would have pulled the lines off the end of the wheel well to fill up that entire corner.

I used liquid nails for the dowels, and those need to have at least a little strength to hold the rings in place while I pull fabric and get the resin and glass layed down. I'm going to try and find my hot glue gun for the fabric and hopefully I can, other wise it's going to be a pain laying the fabric and getting it to stay in place.
Actually, 3m Spray glue works REALLY well for the fabric...

Just keep in mind that the resin heat will loosen the glue, so spray 4-5 inches extra around and leave some extra fabric on the back side. Only resin the first 1/2-3/4 onto your base foundation mold...

Did that make any sense? Let me kwo if you have any questions....

BTW, this is all covered in Glassman's DVD, so anybody who wants to do htis SHOULD buy that...it's AMAZING how much info's in there.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SK Lancer
Actually, 3m Spray glue works REALLY well for the fabric...

Just keep in mind that the resin heat will loosen the glue, so spray 4-5 inches extra around and leave some extra fabric on the back side. Only resin the first 1/2-3/4 onto your base foundation mold...
Good idea, although I don't feel like stopping by Home Depot before I leave for the weekend, so that step will have to wait till Monday if I don't find my glue gun. Thanks for the tip.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by livelyjay
Good idea, although I don't feel like stopping by Home Depot before I leave for the weekend, so that step will have to wait till Monday if I don't find my glue gun. Thanks for the tip.
No problem...I've done a few of them...and these enclosures sound great and look better and are functional - everybody should have one!
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

So using a hot glue gun is so much more effective than using liquid nails. When the glue dries it dries solid, and it dries in about 10 minutes as opposed to 8 hours. I glued in the rest of the dowel supports and got the enclosure covered in fabric. The fabric didn't turn out all that well because I was running out of glue and just because of the shape of the box. Here are some more pictures.

Glassing will commence on Monday evening after work because I'm out for the weekend.