Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Fiberglass Enclosure Project

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put body filler around the outside where there were a lot of wrinkles to smooth it out, and got most of the circle cut out for the speaker.

This project is on hold until further notice. My friends and I lost someone very close to us this weekend, so the project has taken a backseat unless I need something to distract me.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by livelyjay
This project is on hold until further notice. My friends and I lost someone very close to us this weekend, so the project has taken a backseat unless I need something to distract me.
Sorry to hear that. Take your time man!
Old Aug 17, 2004, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

with the wrinkles...u could shave them off, if you have a disk sander or something of that sort, and just re-glass those spots. i've found its a later easier to do that then to bondo those spots.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Did you tape up over the carpet or did you pull the carpet out and then tape to get the final shape? It looks like you tapped over the carpet to get your shape.

Looks Good!!!
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DANERS_03
with the wrinkles...u could shave them off, if you have a disk sander or something of that sort, and just re-glass those spots. i've found its a later easier to do that then to bondo those spots.
I already used Bondo body filler to cover them up, which was extremely easy to work with and it dries incredibly fast. I did one section at a time, and then a final layer to smooth all sections together. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stevEVO8
Did you tape up over the carpet or did you pull the carpet out and then tape to get the final shape? It looks like you tapped over the carpet to get your shape.

Looks Good!!!
I taped over the stock carpet. I used the wider masking tape (2" wide) and about 120 yeards worth. Figure that the more the better, and it actually worked out very well. There were only three strands of tape that the resin got underneith and ended up being stuck to the box. No resin got on my carpet.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Pictures from the work I did this weekend

Old Aug 17, 2004, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Aug 17, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

So I needed a distraction from life since none of my roommates are home right now, so I finished cutting out the circle for the speaker, and started hacking at the wrinkles that wrap around the enclosure. I'm going to have to reglass one corner, and possible a few smaller sections around the edge. I have to trim a bit more, but this is all I'm going to do tonight. Here are some pictures of it in the trunk as of 10 minutes ago.

Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Updating. Tonight I'm going to lay some glass inside the box around the seam where I glassed the speaker side to the car side. This is being done because the glass I originally laid bubbled up and looks really nasty and I doubt it's structurally sound. Once I lay the glass inside, I'm going to dremel down all the imperfections on the outside, bondo a few more spots, then sand and prep for the carpet.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

This is my subwoofer enclosure I just finished a few weeks ago. I took out the spare tire and layed plastic in the hole where the tire goes and made a mold of that area. I also made the smp rack out of fiberglass and built it right in to the fiberglass box. Then I took plywood and made the floor of the trunk. I did this so the subs wouldnt take up all the space in the trunk and all it lost was 2 inches because I raised the foor that much so the inside of the box had the right amount of space inside it. I also put dynamat on the trunk lid and covered it with carpet. crap that stuff made the lid heavy! What do you think? It sounds good inside the car too.
Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass Enclosure Project-picture-002.jpg  
Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crnesst
What do you think? It sounds good inside the car too.
Looks nice, although I'm not a fan of flush mounted kits, just because you really can't use your trunk anymore without the risk of damaging your setup. Nice work though
Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

nice job so far, im thinking about doing this also, with a sub in each corner and the amp mounted under the brake light sort of ya know.

i love how crnesst is and i'd do that, but id have plexiglass over it so i could still throw stuff in the trunk...im a bowler so..i need the room haha.

nice job, sorry about ur friend man
Old Aug 23, 2004, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

You're setup is coming along nicely Here is where I'm at with mine

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95075
Old Aug 23, 2004, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

all those jobs look badass. good job guys. i wish i could do that, but when i tried i failed bad. oh well, gotta keep trying.