Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Fiberglass Enclosure Project

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2004, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass Enclosure Project

Just creating a thread so I can track and let everyone else see my progress for my custom fiberglass subwoofer enclosure. I did not get pictures of the trunk all taped up, but that's not very important because it was just tape all over the place. Here are the lessons I learned so far:

1. Get more than one roll of 2" wide masking tape. I barely had enough because I was **** and put more than 2 layers.
2. Mix less than 20oz of resin, I have wasted about 20oz because the end 1/3 always gels up on me.
3. Use smaller pieces of chop-mat fiberglass (3"-5") in the smaller crevaces because you'll have a better chance at avoiding air bubbles.

I'll post pictures of what I have right now when I get home tonight, which is a 2-layer fiberglass shell of the rear passenger trunk.

Any suggestions on how to mount the final project in the trunk, what to finish it with, and how to port the speaker wire would be appreciated. Also any suggestions for mounting the amp?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by livelyjay
I'll post pictures of what I have right now when I get home tonight, which is a 2-layer fiberglass shell of the rear passenger trunk.

Any suggestions on how to mount the final project in the trunk, what to finish it with, and how to port the speaker wire would be appreciated. Also any suggestions for mounting the amp?
Yeah, keep us posted. I'm working on a fiberglass project as well
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...04#post1111104

I wanna see how your doing As far as mounting the amps, it will all depend on where you're gonna put your sub in the trunk
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, give a plan as to where you're glassin' and we can give you suggestions from there...
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I'm glassing in the back right corner of the trunk (by the passenger side tail light).
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have only 1 amp, then I say fiberglass the amp in the opposite corner

If you have 1 amp for your sub, and 1 amp for your component, then I say fiberglass them either on the back seat, the rear deck or the trunk lid.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Opposite corner or do a mini false floor with the amps recessed..
Old Aug 2, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Well I am planning on going with the RRM turbo kit, and when that happens I'm going to relocate the battery to the back left (opposite of the subwoofer). Should I mount the amp to the back of the larger spilt rear seat? Another thing I was thinking was maybe build a fiberglass/mdf rack to mount over the right wheel well, which would put the amp right in front of the subwoofer.

Last edited by livelyjay; Aug 2, 2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Update
I got layers 3-5 on yesterday afternoon, and checked it this morning and the structure is feeling very firm. I'm going to the fabric store during lunch to buy some fleece material to line the interior to get some quick thickness and to line the outside around the MDF rings. I'll take pictures after work before I line it with fleece.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

The fleece is for the shape, not strength - it will NOT get strong from fleece. Use Mat for that.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SK Lancer
The fleece is for the shape, not strength - it will NOT get strong from fleece. Use Mat for that.
I know, it's strong enough as it stands right now. The fleece I am putting on the inside is primarily to get more thickness so there is more material to deter resonance. Is that a waste of time and material? Should I just put a few more layers of glass mat?

The fleece I am putting on the outside is defintely just for shape, and I plan on putting 5 or more layers of glass on top of it.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, 3 layers of chop mat is equivalent to 3/4" MDF, so put 3 layers of mat on there and you'll be plenty strong....

5 layers is a waste of time, IMHO. I've never used more than 4...and that was in an SPL box...
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, 3 layers of chop mat is equivalent to 3/4" MDF, so put 3 layers of mat on there and you'll be plenty strong....
Yeah I figured that from reading tutorials online and possibly some threads in this forum.

Will adding fleece to the interior be of any benefit for resonance?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a picture of the box as it was when I got home from work today. I cut off the frayed edges today with a Dremel, which was a huge pain in the butt. Tomorrow I'll trim it down even more, and then I'll mount the mdf rings and drape cloth over it. I gave up on lining it with cloth material for dampening and I'll use Dynamat instead. Let me know what you think so far.

Old Aug 4, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Good job - a few tips for those reading/next time:

-Tape off a lot of area and resin ALL of the mat - so there's no white around the edge. It's WAY easier to cut off later on...

-There's really no point in dampening the enclosure - put some dakron inside instead...

-When making your rings, make 2 rings. 1 ring should be what you mount your sub to plus 1" or 3/4" wider. The 2nd ring should be that 1" or 3/4" only. The 2nd ring should be rounded over on the outside edge with a 1/2" roundover router bit. Your sub will mount to the inside ring and the 2nd ring will flush mount it. The roundover will make the material flow better into the ring. Do it this way - I didn't and I wish i would have..it looks WAY better this way.

EDIT: like this, but for a sub not kick's - http://glassmanscustomforum.com/v-we...obraKPboth.jpg

I suggest all of you people who want to make killer boxes go to http://www.glassmanscustomforum.com/ and buy his DVD. I have it and I love it - it's SOOO helpful. It's only $60 i think (it's WELL worth it..this guy is awesome)

Last edited by SK Lancer; Aug 4, 2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

-Tape off a lot of area and resin ALL of the mat - so there's no white around the edge. It's WAY easier to cut off later on...
Very true indeed. The frayed edges got caught in the Dremel every 5 minutes.
-There's really no point in dampening the enclosure - put some dakron inside instead...
What is dakron?
-When making your rings, make 2 rings. 1 ring should be what you mount your sub to plus 1" or 3/4" wider. The 2nd ring should be that 1" or 3/4" only. The 2nd ring should be rounded over on the outside edge with a 1/2" roundover router bit. Your sub will mount to the inside ring and the 2nd ring will flush mount it. The roundover will make the material flow better into the ring. Do it this way - I didn't and I wish i would have..it looks WAY better this way.
I made three rings since I'm using 1/2" mdf. First two are being used for mounting and the third was used for flush mount. I'll consider rounding out the edge, but I'm not making this a show car, so it doesn't really matter that much to me because no one is going to be seeing this box any ways. Thanks for the tip though.