Notices

Piggyback.... to be or not to be?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ROCK
Piggy is the way to go for 80% of you guys out there. Someone like Blaze has tuned alot so he can prolly get things going with flash.
And I'll agree 100% with your statement. Piggy is the way to go for most people, and Ecuflash should be done by people with more knowledge/experience.

I have played alot with the piggy and honestly, I don't consider my-self ready to make the move to Ecuflash(tuned by my-self).

Assuming you know very little about tuning, the piggy has a bigger error margin(you can still blow up if you mess up) and would be more suitable.

Assuming you know more, or have the resources to get it tuned by professionals, the EcuFlash is the way to go as you can modify more parameters and get the most out of your engine.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rally-on
rock
with the hook up part,,, do u have to splice the wires and stuff or is it a plug and play also i am planning on getting one do i need some software or is that something i can get down the road ,,i have a SRI for now and to be honest i will only get a pully and exahust and head-r thats all so this is the set up i will stick with,,is there anything else you want to let me in on that would be great
thanks,,,it is for a 05 ES
Not 100% sure about Version2, but I think the hook up is very similar to Version 1(other than the Vac line)

You do have to splice/cut wires, but on a scale of 1/10 I'd give this a 2 rating. If you can differentiate colors and you can solder; you're almost set.

The piggy was introduced as, correct me if I'm wrong, a 1-fits-all. It's "conservative tune" will show benefits on all possible setups. As stated by RRM, the more mods you've got the more you'll exctract out of the piggy, but even a stock Lancer would see great benefits from it.

Last edited by blaze_125; Dec 15, 2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by blaze_125
The piggy was introduced as, correct me if I'm wrong, a 1-fits-all. It's "conservative tune" will show benefits on all possible setups. As stated by RRM, the more mods you've got the more you'll exctract out
of the piggy, but even a stock Lancer would see great benefits from it.
They also offer software for Version 2.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since i do not have the knowledge or experience to tune my car with ecuflash, I would have to get it dyno'ed and tuned by someone else. That cost plus the cost of a datalogger and wideband is comparable to the piggy, with slightly more power, and a lot more risk.... I get that.

what I am still wondering about is whether the piggy could be tuned to be almost as powerful with a wideband and software/cable down the road as with ecuflash techniques. if that is the case, it seems more logical to get a piggy and tune it that way if i decide to take it to the next step when i am not in school and have free time.

as far as blowing my engine with a piggy, i really don't think that is a realistic possibility, blaze. I completely respect your intelligence and input on these forums; however, from what i have read, a person would have to just not read the install directions and be retarded to blow an engine with it. (if you were talking about tuning the piggy with it's software, i appologize since that involves more risk)

Last edited by PGDlancer; Dec 15, 2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PGDlancer
what I am still wondering about is whether the piggy could be tuned to be almost as powerful with a wideband and software/cable down the road as with ecuflash techniques. if that is the case, it seems more logical to get a piggy and tune it that way if i decide to take it to the next step when i am not in school and have free time.
Simple answer is no.

Originally Posted by PGDlancer
as far as blowing my engine with a piggy, i really don't think that is a realistic possibility, blaze. I completely respect your intelligence and input on these forums; however, from what i have read, a person would have to just not read the install directions and be retarded to blow an engine with it. (if you were talking about tuning the piggy with it's software, i appologize since that involves more risk)
I was indeed implying the use of the R4 Software.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 09:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rally-on
rock
with the hook up part,,, do u have to splice the wires and stuff or is it a plug and play also i am planning on getting one do i need some software or is that something i can get down the road ,,i have a SRI for now and to be honest i will only get a pully and exahust and head-r thats all so this is the set up i will stick with,,is there anything else you want to let me in on that would be great
thanks,,,it is for a 05 ES
Installing a piggy means connecting 5 wires. You do have t "Wire" it in. There is no actual plug. The install is easy though and we supply great instructions. You can deal with software later for sure unless you know what you want to do, have a wideband, or dyno. It will work great with your mods though. Call us for details even if you are not ready to order. Thanks

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 17, 2006, 02:52 PM
Account Disabled

i have been reading this thread for awhile now and i decided to add my 2 cents, i understand where blaze is coming from, i mean there are limits to what every tuning box can do and for some of u guys that need more tuning u know what u want and u know what ur abbilities are,

but for those guys who drive there car daily and just want to "PLUG AND PLAY" i believe that the RRM piggy is the best way, i have the V2 piggy on my car and i love it, flawless idle, great power inprovement and a great support in RRM. i mean if i had any questions all i had to do was call Rob and ask. so as stated before there are other options but for 90% of the lancer guys the piggy is the way to go hands down.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 05:57 PM
Former Sponsor

PIggy is still t he best thing for most guys and now with a $50 less price, it is quite a value.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 17, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoosterPac
i have been reading this thread for awhile now and i decided to add my 2 cents, i understand where blaze is coming from, i mean there are limits to what every tuning box can do and for some of u guys that need more tuning u know what u want and u know what ur abbilities are
Exacly.

Can the piggy be as powerful as some other Tuning Device such as the Ecu Reflash. No

But it doesn't mean the piggy is worthless. The piggy is still a good and reliable way to add power to your ride without breaking the bank.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 08:27 PM
Account Disabled

i believe with the right knowledge and some time that the piggy can be just as the ecu reflash, i have a friend that has an ecu reflash in is 02 lancer and i have the piggy back, my car with the same mods is still faster, so YES the piggy has potential
Old Dec 17, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

piggy doesn't do timing. Piggy isn't anywhere close to an Ecu reflash.

Piggy is good. I won't ever say otherwise. But piggy is no Ecu reflash

This is not an opinion. This is a fact.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ROCK
Lets get it back on topic etc.... guys. PIggy sounds like it is TO BE!

ROAD/RACE
If your needs are relatively simple. Piggyback is - to be
If your needs are demanding greater range of tunability. Ecu Reflash

Old Dec 18, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

I am going to agree with blaze that the ECU flash is better. It is more expensive than the piggy but has more tuning features. Honestly though, after tuning the fuel curve the gains you would get from timing etc. aren't HUGE. Yes, there would definately be gains there, but nothing compared of leaning out the fuel all through the powerband. The piggyback was great for me on the base tune, especially on the highway. The butt dyno registered slight gains from 3k-4k rpms, and decent gains from 4k-redline. BUT, when RRM hooked me up with the tuning software, and I hooked it up to a wideband, I really unleashed my cars power. The AFR's are between 12.8 and 13 right now EVERYWHERE in the powerband. The torque off the line got a definite bump as well as midrange power. The upper end improved a bit too.

Bottom line:
ECU Flash is better, but for experienced tuners. It has the ability to bring out more power from the lancer, but not anything incredible.

Piggyback is cheaper, comes with RRM's great customer service, and has the ability in its base tune to boost the lancers power. With a tune using software and a wideband, has the ability to make even more power. Although not quite as much due to the inability to control timing.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

this thread is the most informational thread that I have found about the piggy and it's alternatives. thanks to everyone for their input. I think both sides of the debate have made a strong case and it just depends on what kind of person you are. Thanks for all the info everyone.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 07:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Did some thread cleaning. If enough people say so, it might get a sticky.

Quick Reply: Piggyback.... to be or not to be?