Notices

Piggyback.... to be or not to be?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i were to get the PB would you guys recommend getting it tuned by a shop w/ a dyno or just leaving it as is?

Last edited by Drewbell; Dec 23, 2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

can i vote for my own thread?? lol...... sticky

I actually pm'ed people and posted in other threads to get the attention of people with the knowledge to answer these questions. Thanks again to rock, blaze, z_lancer, and all the rest.

Drew^^, leaving it as is would be fine, but you will get more out of it with R4 software and wideband. I don't think a dyno would be required unless you really want to go crazy with it. HOWEVER, "with great power, comes great responsibility" (thanks spiderman) . Messing with the piggy can give you more power, but it carries with it the risk of hurting your engine, just like ecu flash. If I were in your shoes, I would just use it straight out of the box and see if you want to risk things for a bit more power. It might feel fine the way RRM programmed it, you won't know till you try it out. Hope that helped.

Last edited by PGDlancer; Dec 20, 2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PGDlancer
I don't think a dyno would be required unless you really want to go crazy with it.
Dyno is indeed not required but preferable. On the dyno you can simulate plenty of situtation and tune accordingly.

When tuning it your-self... if you don't have to proper equipment to do it perfect, do it gradually. Ask questions, take all answers into consideration and make your own decision based on the information you gathered. When I modified my Piggy's map, I went a decimal at a time to make sure I wouldn't mess things up. At some point my idle got funky so I reverted back to my previous values.

Now I whish we could get more "tuning/tunes" threads, but this thread is a great start and maybe it will pave the way. Who knows...
Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:16 PM

Any estimates on how much hp and torque the piggy back, as is will gain?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drewbell
Any estimates on how much hp and torque the piggy back, as is will gain?
10% gains
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea this is mostly not a stickable thread but it is useful for high school debate team training.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by ROCK
Yea this is mostly not a stickable thread but it is useful for high school debate team training.

ROAD/RACE
Everyone's a critic these days...

Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

ROAD/RACE
I was thinking the same but couldn't word it properly
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

well it's been long enough, I might as well update this thread. I bought and installed rrm's piggy about a month ago. I decided it was the best option for my experience, cash flow, and lacking free time. It has given me no problems except having to watch my speed a lot more. Install was fairly easy, but the location of said install was a pain (I was upside down with one leg on the passenger seat at one point ). Overall, idle is pretty damn solid, power is crazy for the price, install was easier than I thought, longevity seems to be there, and rock was very patient. I just wanted to have anyone reading this thread see which direction I chose, but definitely respect both options.

Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:11 PM
Former Sponsor

That is what we awere saying. Thanks

ROAD/RACE
Old May 10, 2007, 08:01 AM

so for a tuner just starting out is the piggy the way to go? I just recently purchased the pulley from rrm the header, new intake manifold, throttle body and the piggyback. I just recently got the car about 3 weeks ago. and im new to the tuning scene. so you experts tell me what you think is best.
Old May 11, 2007, 12:10 AM
Former Sponsor

ECU Flash is cool cause you can advance timing but that requires higher octane fuel that is more expensive. Changing fuel curves is another thing you can do. But that is what RRM piggyback does already. Plus it is done. IT requires no tuning, no more expertise than connecting 5 wires. So at the same octane level, you can really only do the same thing that a piggy has already done for you. Power would be similar.

ECU Flash needs more money spent on tuning at a dyno or a wideband and a smart computer type nerd.

RRM PIggyback requires connecting 5 wires,period. Most guys just want to be done in 20 minutes. If you are one of them, then get a piggyback. ECU Flash is not for you.

ROAD/RACE
Old May 11, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

ECU Flash is cool cause you can advance timing but that requires higher octane fuel that is more expensive. Changing fuel curves is another thing you can do. But that is what RRM piggyback does already. Plus it is done. IT requires no tuning, no more expertise than connecting 5 wires. So at the same octane level, you can really only do the same thing that a piggy has already done for you. Power would be similar.

ECU Flash needs more money spent on tuning at a dyno or a wideband and a smart computer type nerd.

RRM PIggyback requires connecting 5 wires,period. Most guys just want to be done in 20 minutes. If you are one of them, then get a piggyback. ECU Flash is not for you.

ROAD/RACE
Words to live by for sure! There's only so much you can teach a person over text based forums, and if you're starting off by asking what a fuel curve or ignition timing is... then yea, the piggyback is what's for you. If you know exactly where your OBDII port is, know what air fuel ratios are, know how to install, troubleshoot, and use tuning software.. and in general know what you're doing, then you can try the ECUFlash route. No point going over your head and ruining your engine based solely on the premise that just because someone else did it, means you can... Installing the proper hardware like a wideband oxygen sensor, and knowing how to interpret it is a job in itself... none alone having to hack your computers ECU.

If you're confident that ECUFlash is for you... come on over to the ECUFlash thread and read it front to back, then back to front, and get started. If not, hit up RRM for a pre-tuned piggyback for your car to unleash some ponies! Extra HP for connecting 5 wires? Sounds good to me! (Except, I'm confident in my ability to use ECUFLash )
Old May 11, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ECU Flash needs ... a smart computer type nerd.
Ok, you got me.
Old May 11, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
Ok, you got me.
Aww... dang, I think he got me there as well! I knew all those hours playing World of Warcraft would show eventually

Quick Reply: Piggyback.... to be or not to be?