Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo or N/a?

So far i have:

RRM grip springs
RRM intake
RRM Pulley

i want to get more horses out of this car. im saving up for magnaflow exhaust and waiting for tein's up coming coilover. im thinking of getting fidanza's flywheel.

but should i keep it N/A and get a header? or go turbo? what are the pros and cons for turbo besides costs? i dont want to do piggy or anythign like that if im keeping it N/A.

This car is here to stay. its my first car and only. but i do intend to get a S2000 down the road (used) should i just keep this N/A?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you have plans on trading it back you should keep in NA in order to get as much money as you can when you sell it. Besides cost you have to consider that you will be without a warranty if you decide to go turbo. I say focus on the suspension, tires etc. so that you can see a more notiveable improvement rather than spend money on NA power mods and get minimal gains.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor

fidanza's flywheel isn't available anymore. they where only gonna make it if we could guarantee 10 buyers. Which we couldn't\

regardless. I would suggest you just keep it N/A and save your money for a more powerful car further down the road
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:55 PM

keep it

i just got a new 09 lancer de and was looking for all the things to do to it naturally, but after tons of browsing and shopping it seems that a turbo on this car is a gigantic waste of 5 grand. sure you could get one and ruin your warranty (which, isnt that the point of a new car) and run it with very minimal boost where speed increase is minimal. you have to do a whole rebuild if you want serious power. so if your ok for spending 5 grand for bragging rights on having a turbo on it then go ahead but i say no
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:18 PM

yeah i figured..

i really want an S2000/Evo/or a BmW in the next 6 years. but besides one car out performing another, what are the valuations like? are the cost of the cars worth the benefits or just overrated marketing? a new s2000 is 50k which is insane, i can afford a used one... but i dont trust how people maintained the car before me

is a Header worth it?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smoke
yeah i figured..

i really want an S2000/Evo/or a BmW in the next 6 years. but besides one car out performing another, what are the valuations like? are the cost of the cars worth the benefits or just overrated marketing? a new s2000 is 50k which is insane, i can afford a used one... but i dont trust how people maintained the car before me

is a Header worth it?
headers is worth it

id say just stick with NA with headers, intake and exhaust and c how u like it and then decide from there of wht ur gunna do

but honestly if ur thinking of trading ur car in at this point, i dono if there is much point in modding ur car, y throw money into a car ur already thinking about trading in within the next 6 yrs, obviously this isnt ur dream car....... id say save the money and how them into that car when u get it.. but thats just me
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

6 years is a long time. Turbo it!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

^^I agree.
For now tho, I'm just mainly going for visual mods. I had header, pulley, intake, exhaust and loved it but turbo is going to be the next step. The warranty is too good to just throw away so I will be enjoying this cars LOOKS for now and then a few years down the line when there is more info of this car and turbo, thats when I will be going for the gusto.

And everyone that says "turbo on our car is worthless" or "minimal increase with stock internals". I don't plan on driving a 400whp car on the street. That is just too much for me to have fun and still be safe. Personally, 220-230 will be my goal. It will be a fun sporty street car that I will also take to the autox track for fun, not to be competitive. I would not buy this car with plans of it being a 10 sec car!!!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EngRWW33
^^I agree.
For now tho, I'm just mainly going for visual mods. I had header, pulley, intake, exhaust and loved it but turbo is going to be the next step. The warranty is too good to just throw away so I will be enjoying this cars LOOKS for now and then a few years down the line when there is more info of this car and turbo, thats when I will be going for the gusto.

And everyone that says "turbo on our car is worthless" or "minimal increase with stock internals". I don't plan on driving a 400whp car on the street. That is just too much for me to have fun and still be safe. Personally, 220-230 will be my goal. It will be a fun sporty street car that I will also take to the autox track for fun, not to be competitive. I would not buy this car with plans of it being a 10 sec car!!!
yeah me too man, this car im just going to try to turbo it if the cvt turbo if ever gets done but i know it isnt going to be a superfast car either, which is why i am going for the genesis coupe sometime down the road my lancer just becam my DD.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:27 PM
Account Disabled

depends on how much your willing to spend..you can make this car decently fast with many mods. from what i heard a guy with intake,catback exhaust,pully,works reflash,header,drop in,basically every performance mod available, SUPPOSEDLY hes putting down some good power and slapping around stock Civic Si's and other cars. car hasnt been dynod or anything but i think you can get some decent power if you decide to stay NA

200hp to the crank and i would be satisfied, but the works reflash is gonna play a big part thats 20 at the wheels right there
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:08 PM

turbo ftw!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EngRWW33
^^I agree.

230hp is pretty good. The 09 RA has 237hp. I don't want to race these cars but want something that has some power when I need it. Personally, I'm gonna wait about 5 or so years to turbo mine. Use as much of the warranty as I can(even though will also find an excuse to not do warranty work or void it). Remember our cars are still pretty new to the market and it will take a few years before there are quite a few reputable company's who have good performance parts for our gen of lancer. RRM jumped on it pretty quick when our car came out and pretty much own our market because of that and no disrespect to RRM cause I like em but they can charge a lot more then some think they should because there is nobody else in the market. I think good perf parts from more good companys will be more affordable for our car if u wait a little.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Here's the thing, with a small displacement, inline four engine, it's go big or go home. What this means is there's no point in pissing money away in small mods like intake, exhaust, header, etc. if you want real gains. If you want sound or the experience that comes with modding, go nuts. If you want power, you're not going to gain anything big with bolt-ons, in fact you can lose power with bolt-ons. A reflash will gain power but keep in mind that you can only change so much with an NA car. You can essentially change the AF ratio and timing. Since you have MIVEC on both cams, you have a bit more flexibility but it's no where near as easy with a turbo car where you just shoot up the boost pressure. You might gain 20 WHP but that seems way too good to be true. Even turbo cars don't generally see those kind of gains with just a reflash (unless of course they raise the boost pressure a lot). An aftermarket turbo has several disadvantages. First off you lose the warranty. If you roll into a dealership with a turbo installed and want them to fix anything drivetrain wise (transmission, clutch, axles, etc), they'll laugh at you. The second problem is maintenance, you will need to be more serious about taking care of the car. The third problem is increased cost since you'll have to run higher octane, your insurance will go up (assuming you tell them) and you'll put more wear and tear on wear items (brakes, clutch). It's really up to you to figure out which is right for you.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

lol u dont make it sound like either way is a good one to go, basically destroyed both options, not like we had much to play with in the beginning...jus a matter of time i suppose
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
No I'm just giving people the facts rather than blowing smoke up their asses. There is nothing wrong with an aftermarket turbo kit as long as you understand the risks and any additional requirements.

Quick Reply: Turbo or N/a?