Notices

Road Race Timing Module Testimonial

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's worthwhile. I own one and like having more horsepower.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ofey
I'm interested in getting one of these. So what's the conclusion?? Worthwhile or still vague?
Timing advance changes have a very very real impact on performance. How much depends on the timing itself but it is there. And all without playing with fuel delivery. For the money I think you are getting your money's worth.

I am close to purchasing this mod for independant testing. Just waiting on someone from the Buffalo area to get back to me. We have to use a USA FED Spec car for this testing our Canadian one has a very odd way of realizing gains over time. a very long time.

That said my expectations are where they need to be. I am sure the Road Race module shouldnt disapoint and RRM on countless occations have proven that they stand behind their product and quality. Over and beyond what you would get at the average shop.

I think if you are going to nit pick over hp numbers I would say your logic is flawed. You should only be concerned with % gain or loss. hp is not equal when it comes to testing on the dyno.

We did testing with the EVO X and i didnt bother to focus on number gains, just the %. And boy did some of the things we tested blow the doors off what we were expecting.

Those results will be posted shortly, but getting back to this thread topic.

I would say Try it. you have very little to lose and alot to gain
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:38 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jeremy_ton
I originally got a SES light when I bought this box. Turns out I had a vacuum leak in my intake and the box was not the problem. While waiting for RRM to give me a replacement box, even though that wasn't the issue, I resolved the actual air intake issue. Now I have the new box and I do feel some improved performance. Unfortunately that did not reflect on my 0-60 time. I know it is hard to judge someones feel on increased 8 HP, but I don't know what else to say. Maybe I have too many mods on my car to notice this one. I'm keeping the product, I'm satisfied for what it is worth. Thanks to RRM for getting me a new box anyways.
its supposed to be the other way around...the more mods you have the more performance increase..thats what this thing is "supposed" to do.. so imo its a waste of money. if you with your mods dont have a change in 0-60 what makes you think a lightly modded or stock lancer will yield any better results?

Last edited by LuDa; Apr 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Timing advance changes have a very very real impact on performance. How much depends on the timing itself but it is there. And all without playing with fuel delivery. For the money I think you are getting your money's worth.

I am close to purchasing this mod for independant testing. Just waiting on someone from the Buffalo area to get back to me. We have to use a USA FED Spec car for this testing our Canadian one has a very odd way of realizing gains over time. a very long time.

That said my expectations are where they need to be. I am sure the Road Race module shouldnt disapoint and RRM on countless occations have proven that they stand behind their product and quality. Over and beyond what you would get at the average shop.

I think if you are going to nit pick over hp numbers I would say your logic is flawed. You should only be concerned with % gain or loss. hp is not equal when it comes to testing on the dyno.

We did testing with the EVO X and i didnt bother to focus on number gains, just the %. And boy did some of the things we tested blow the doors off what we were expecting.

Those results will be posted shortly, but getting back to this thread topic.

I would say Try it. you have very little to lose and alot to gain
Do it bro and be the man!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:02 PM

Not sure if the timing control module is suppose to come with instructions or not (mine didn't), but I assume I have to plug it into the MAP sensor.

Problem is: The cable is a BI*CH to get off.

Anyone else have that problem during install?

EDIT: n/m got it off.

Last edited by kevin_; Jun 18, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 01:40 PM

So my lack of power from this box may be because of an exhaust leak and code P0171. Lean in Bank 1. Turns out the RRM headers I installed at the same time as this box have a hole in the weld. RRM recommended I have the weld fixed locally to see if that solves the problem. I'm also putting in all new exhaust gaskets. Hopefully when my car is code free I'll be able to see what this box can really do. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

from a canadian view with our messed up ecu's we have , this thing works , if you have a realistic expectation of na mods and what this item is and what your getting you wont be let down , alot of people think they are gonna feel some big boost or somethin then they are let down when they dont get thrown in their seats , in my opinion it works and does what rrm says it does and the car for sure pulls better and you do feel it

to be honest i dont know if its the combo of everything i have but this timing module was the most noticable mod so far , worth every penny
Old Sep 1, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

see people talking about 0-60 times, and based on reviews for the lancer gts 2.0 they say it does the 0-60 in 9 seconds and the 1/4 in 16.8

with the timing module , rrm crank pulley , rrm sri and custom ab exhaust i was able to get my 0-60 to 7 seconds , so thats a 2 second difference , 1/4 mile is still kinda pooh tho at 16.6

still have all my slips with times too
Old Sep 2, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

im also going back to the track this friday , gonna see if i can beat my times now that i have learned the tree a bit better

a bit off topic i also had a friendly run agains a evo 8 just to see the difference and man did i get blown away , there is a video on youtube of that run

it was somethin like 14.4 and i had a 16.7 , 2 seconds doesent seem like alot in numbers but man when your goin down the strip 2 seconds is alot ,
Old Sep 2, 2009, 08:26 AM

look at it this way, if you both were drag racing to the supermarket he would only reach there 2 seconds before you
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by seanymack
look at it this way, if you both were drag racing to the supermarket he would only reach there 2 seconds before you
hhah thats true , i should be able to make up that 2 seconds on foot tho
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Hey at least you can keep up 2 sec against big brother.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Defcon5Es
Hey at least you can keep up 2 sec against big brother.
that is true , i was able to get my times down to 6.8 0-60 and 16.3 1/4 this time around , next time im aiming for 15's
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:34 PM

*Update* So my issues with P0171 had nothing to do with this Timing Module. The issue was with my spark plugs. 2 of them were overtightened and their gaps were closed up. No the car is running great and I am going to the track this weekend to test the difference in performance with and without the Timing Module. I will post results.