Notices

Evo 8 ECU Swap Works!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4g94T
Senate: did you copy paste your old maps from the lancer rom into the evo rom?
Or are you running off the stock evo 8 ecu values? Such as MAF scaling, MAF smoothing, etc
-7- You now need to add the following values from your stock Lancer ROM tables to the matching tables in the Evo ROM to have a proper idle and fuel trims: Injector Scaling, Injector Latency Values, MAF Scaling, MAF Size...

Originally Posted by Complink
ok so according to the lancer service manual, the only difference between the A/T ecu and the M/T ecu is the A/T doesn't use the "vehicle speed sensor" pin 86 for the M/T. would this still be possible to do?
If that's the only difference then yes.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to see you found a solution. Now I have to add an Evo 8 Ecu to my parts list!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Complink
ok so according to the lancer service manual, the only difference between the A/T ecu and the M/T ecu is the A/T doesn't use the "vehicle speed sensor" pin 86 for the M/T. would this still be possible to do?
If that's it, I may have to look into doing this swap.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

This is nothing new at all... I've had an evo8 ecu in my 2001 galant for a very long time with no cels at all. A few members over at thegalantcenter.net have even gotten 2 ecus to work at the same time. Auto ecu for auto transmission control, and an evo ecu for engine management.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goosey2099
This is nothing new at all... I've had an evo8 ecu in my 2001 galant for a very long time with no cels at all. A few members over at thegalantcenter.net have even gotten 2 ecus to work at the same time. Auto ecu for auto transmission control, and an evo ecu for engine management.
Glad to hear. But this IS new because we drive Lancers, not Galants. Also, our 4G94 engines have ZERO in common with the Evo's 4G63. Unlike your 4G64, which is a variation of the Evo engine. 3G Eclipses have been using Evo ECUs ever since they started doing the DOHC swap because of this very fact.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goosey2099
so thats how it would be done. thanks for the input.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

***** UPDATE *****

I disabled the periphery bits for the fuel pressure solenoid and wastegate solenoid and then cleared my DTCs for P0090 and P0243. They should not come back on now, but I will keep everyone posted.

I edited my ROM to use 2byte load and RPM for datalogging and did some more tuning today with the fuel and ignition tables. I'd like to install an Evo X MAP sensor sometime in the future so that I can log boost more accurately. I'm also considering getting a wastegate solenoid from an Evo VIII so I can use the ECU for boost control.

The potential this ECU has created keeps getting better and better.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

how much more accurate is the 2byte load/rpm?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g94T
how much more accurate is the 2byte load/rpm?
To the naked eye it is minimal, but from a logging and tuning standpoint it is beneficial to have the most accurate readings possible. I believe that the 2-byte values are unclipped and thus more accurate.

***** UPDATE *****

I'm pretty convince the CEL for wastegate solenoid and fuel pressure solenoid will not be coming back. Before editing the periphery bits to disable the sensors, the CEL would come back on after being cleared after the car was started twice. I have started my car at least a dozen times in the past 24 hours and no more CEL. There are also no pending DTC codes.

I have updated my instructions on the first page to reflect disabling the fuel pressure solenoid and wastegate solenoid in the ECU to prevent the CEL from coming on.

Last edited by senate6268; Jun 7, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great news Senate! I think one of the HUGE benefits of this is that the Evo VIII Roms are all defined and there are only like 3 that are now used between all cars. It's such a pain trying to find the Lancer definitions.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

omg senate i did not know that u had done this, lucky that i went for my tune and had sean tell me to try this out and what now, well its motivated u to do it and get it working. do u reckon i get on bc sean does and i can get one very easy. BUT do i need the MAF sensor also or not. if so im gonna get one next week and get my car up to the 230 i want it at.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zulu989
omg senate i did not know that u had done this, lucky that i went for my tune and had sean tell me to try this out and what now, well its motivated u to do it and get it working. do u reckon i get on bc sean does and i can get one very easy. BUT do i need the MAF sensor also or not. if so im gonna get one next week and get my car up to the 230 i want it at.
If you want one then pick one up. You don't need the Evo MAF, but the increase in diameter does help with airflow. I've been running a 501 MAF from a 4G64 for over 2 years now by using the MAF values from a 4G64 ROM grafted into the 4G94 ROM. You can continue to use your stock Lancer MAF without problem after the ECU swap.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Great Stuff Senate you are the man I wish I had your patience and determination!!! One more thing to add to my slowly shrinking list of parts I am still needing!!!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone else performed the swap? I've got no new problems to report. No CELs, no issues.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Thats sweet man!!! Another question, will this swap make it easier to use a VTA BOV?? I really dont care personally but who knows maybe down the road I might decide to.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 ECU Swap Works!!!