Notices

Evo 8 ECU Swap Works!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by darkmitsu
I thought mitsu programed the vin into the ecu, and if it didnt match up you wouldnt pass... That was something I looked into at the begining of the year when my t-belt snapped and I was forced to swap my motor, I was going to do the 4g64 swap but everything I read said you couldn't pass inspection because the vin# wouldnt match in the ecu... I was watching the screen on there computer when I had my inspection done and I'm sure I saw it say checking vin# ect...
I'm not sure if any of this is the case or not. All I can say is that if your ECU dies and you take it to a shop for repairs and they install another one that means that you would fail because the VINs wouldn't match. Or if you purchase another Lancer ECU off of ebay because your ECU went bad the VINs wouldn't match and you would fail. And what about all the Civics that swap in various different engines and their ECUs. It would be happening if they went for inspection and the computer said they were running a B18 ECU in their Civic.

It's a logical argument and I don't have a concrete answer. In 2 years when I'm due for emissions again I can give an answer. Until then, I don't know what to say. I would actually like to think that someone that has emissions coming up will see what happens and report the information.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senate6268
Or if you purchase another Lancer ECU off of ebay because your ECU went bad the VINs wouldn't match and you would fail.
^^This portion isnt entirely true. Granted if you just buy a used one off someone yes, however... My ecu in my dodge truck took a dump a few months back and a company on ebay refurbishes ecus. I got a refurbished one for my truck for $200 and they programmed in my Vin# and mileage and gave me a lifetime warranty with the reciept of my old core. Just my 2 cents
Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
^^This portion isnt entirely true. Granted if you just buy a used one off someone yes, however... My ecu in my dodge truck took a dump a few months back and a company on ebay refurbishes ecus. I got a refurbished one for my truck for $200 and they programmed in my Vin# and mileage and gave me a lifetime warranty with the reciept of my old core. Just my 2 cents
I was leaning more toward the salvage yards that sell parts on ebay from parted out cars or someone that crashed their Lancer and is selling some of the parts on ebay to make some extra money for a down payment on a new car. Neither of those situations would include this. And programming the mileage isn't applicable here in that the mileage is stored in the cluster, not the ECU.

I did some searching last night and the best I could find was that the VIN number didn't start to get stored in ECUs until 2005 with Evos. I don't know what to believe at this point, but frankly I'm not even worried about it. It makes no sense really. The VIN on my engine hasn't matched my chassis in over 4 years. And not once was this addressed in the 2 emissions tests I have completed with my car.

ECUs die all the time. They get replaced and life goes on. Granted certain states might be more **** about alterations and modifications to your car. I can't speak for all of them. The only way any answer is gonna be derived is by people going through the motions of swapping it in and going for their inspection/emissions.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No VIN in the Evo ECU ROM, just immobilizer code.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
No VIN in the Evo ECU ROM, just immobilizer code.
Thanks for the input! It's definitely appreciated!
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so question. Will I need this code to use the ecu? Or can I flash it once its in my car to reset it?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Ok so question. Will I need this code to use the ecu? Or can I flash it once its in my car to reset it?
Are you referring to the immobilizer code? Please read the instructions on the first post. It is disabled through EcuFlash.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Oh gotcha lol been awhile since I read the first post Thanks senate, so I am assuming no new issues with the evo 8 ecu? Have you had any time to do some tuning and release some extra ponies? My ecu should be here tomorrow but until I install my turbo I am logging my completely stock setup to familiarize myself with ecuflash, mitsulogger, and DLL.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Oh gotcha lol been awhile since I read the first post Thanks senate, so I am assuming no new issues with the evo 8 ecu? Have you had any time to do some tuning and release some extra ponies? My ecu should be here tomorrow but until I install my turbo I am logging my completely stock setup to familiarize myself with ecuflash, mitsulogger, and DLL.
Nope. No issues at all. I'm done some tuning to get my AFRs right where I want them. I don't know what my HP is at, as I haven't dyno'd my car since my last turbo kit was on.

Instead of using DataLogLab you might want to try this:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...simulator.html

Much easier to use and created by the EcuFlash gurus. This will provide a super easy way for turbo'd Lancers to see how much power they're making.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Hey that works pretty slick senate thanks!!, I did a couple 3rd gear pulls from 1500 to 6000 rpms and after inputting my car specs it comes out at 104 whp@4750 this sounds pretty close to me?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about trq?

i just tried it also and it is much easier to use than dataloglab. and its free
Old Jun 21, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

I agree it is much easier than DLL, I didnt see a trq value but it was my first time usin it so Im sure I will figure it out.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I see whats going on the dyno graph sits on top of the box containing the hp and trq numbers and so the graph is blocking the trq number and I nt figure out how to move it.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

after digging around I found this , https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...i-testing.html , it pertains to the worry I had about not passing obdII inspection...
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by darkmitsu
after digging around I found this , https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...i-testing.html , it pertains to the worry I had about not passing obdII inspection...
Yup. I read that thread a week back. I don't foresee any issues with the swap.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 ECU Swap Works!!!