Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Help please with Power Steering and AC Belt Tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please with Power Steering and AC Belt Tensioner?

So through a fluke of my own fault, my power steering and AC belt fell off. Nothing was damaged, not even the belt. However, I cannot get the damned thing back on now. I can barely reach the spots I need to reach to thread the belt around it's various wheels, but ultimately, the problem is the slack needed to get the belt all the way around the final wheel.

I know there's a tensioner wheel in there, but I can't get the damned thing to move. I'm pretty sure the tensioner bolt is the one facing forward but I can only turn that a few turns either direction, and even just with my hand sometimes. But I cannot turn past a few turns and I'm starting to worry I'm going to strip it before I even figure out which way it's supposed to turn to loosen the belt path.

So today was the perfect day to put this thing back on but now with a very bloodied hand, I've just removed the belt again for perhaps tomorrow. Can someone guide me in the right direction here? Or is putting this on just not something as easy as it looks?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
-N
Old Mar 6, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone who can help? Someone's done this I'm sure...
-N
Old Mar 6, 2005, 09:45 PM
EvoM Guru

the tensioner for the alternator is the alternator, and the one for the AC is the AC. there isn't a singular wheel for either that is the tensioner. it's dark out so i can't take pics or anything. maybe i can find some diagrams...
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

Well then... I guess that would explain why I was having issues... I figured it was the wheel that spun freely of everythign else between the power steering pump and the AC compressor.

Didn't there used to be a Lancer technical manual on this site that would be helpful now? Anyone have a link to that? I couldn't find it.
-N
Old Mar 7, 2005, 03:45 AM
EvoM Guru

here's a pic for the alternator tensioner.

and link to that thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...belt+tensioner

here's a pic for the ac tensioner:

EDIT: oh yeah, there's no link to any full tech manual on the site. only one to the g94 wiring diagrams.
Attached Thumbnails Help please with Power Steering and AC Belt Tensioner?-acadjustg94.jpg  
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

This might help aswell: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107126
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Rhyzin,
The picture of the alternator belt is the wrong belt and the AC belt diagram doesn't seem to be for a Lancer... or I'm missing something. My belt goes around 4 wheels: the crank, AC, PS, and a 4th plain wheel that I thought was the tensioner. That diagram only has 3.

Danno,
That thread is helpful. It sounds like it's exactly the problem I had that airlinevomitbag answered. That looks like it's describing the bolt I was trying to loosen, but couldn't get to move. So I have to find the bolt that unlocks the tensioner belt I guess, which apparently is on the side? Are those the securing bolts in diagram from Rhyzin?

I don't think my hand can take another beating right now. Will probably have to wait until next weekend at this point... a real shame since this weekend has had some great days so far.
-N
Old Mar 7, 2005, 01:57 PM
EvoM Guru

okay, i'm officially a dumbass. i think i took out a diagram for the models with no AC. you're right that the lone wheel has as tensioner bolt. but the alternator diagram is right. you have 2 belts. one connects your alternator to your crank directly on the inside track of your crank pulley. it can be adjusted by loosening the bolts in the diagram.

the 2nd belt connects your crank, PS, AC, and that 4th wheel thats between the AC and PS. now stand in front of the passenger side headlight so both your feet are facing the headlight. if you look down you should see this gold bolt. that should be the tensioner bolt. try loosening the bolt thats goes through the center of the tensioner pulley enough so that it's not tight. don't take off the bolt. i think there's some wiggling involved to get it to move.

Attached Thumbnails Help please with Power Steering and AC Belt Tensioner?-alternatorg94.jpg   Help please with Power Steering and AC Belt Tensioner?-accadjustbolt.jpg  

Last edited by rhyzin; Mar 7, 2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Ahhh... now I see it. That's the one I was trying to move, but I didn't loosen the bolt in the center of the wheel, so I couldn't make any progress on it.

Thanks for the details and especially the pictures. By the way, my alternator is still fine, just the AC/PS belt fell off.
-N
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:22 PM

I'm kinda having the same issue, really bad shop in town didn't support my motor correctly when doing a new clutch/trans install and messed up some stuff.....had another shop replace my idler pulley due to the bearings getting messed up...but now I'm getting a squeal and slight wobble from the ac pulley, was going to try to loosen the tension to see if that would help, but when you say you have to loosen the bolt on the center of the wheel to basically unlock the tension bolt, I haven't been able to check it out, or find any full diagrams, but I figured a bolt on the center of the wheel would be holding the wheel itself to the pulley, am I just being stupid or missing something?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The center nut is what connects the pulley AND it is also the locking nut. You have to loosen up that bolt then adjust the belt using the bolt that is pointing out towards the front of the car by the radiator fans