Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Low dB High Flow Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good I'm wondering what it would sound like with just the first muffler (Resonator) only??? I have one of the race series models I like it's mellow tone, I think its a little louder than yours but not by much. Only problem I've had is the mounts breaking and melting the **** out of my OZ ground effects
Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

My guess would be a slightly higher pitch and slightly louder... probably relatively close to the RRM exhaust (although the bigger piping upstream will lower the pitch... and increase dB a bit) I'd imagine you'd still get reasonable sound supressiong out of it.

I looked at the race series.. dang those are huge inlet/outlet sizes. I think the only difference between race series and the standard stainless ones is just the inlet outlet dimension as they give no additional specs and use their "Wide Open" description which is with all of them (straight through perf pipe).

Do you just have a race muffler on? or did you do piping/resonator removal and etc?

As far as your mounts... take it to a exhaust place and they can do a quick tack weld of 3/8" wire rods to improve your mounting. Cost you about 10 bucks or so I'd guess.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 04:46 PM

You never mentioned your Tip part #
Old Apr 21, 2003, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't mention a tip part number as that is typically very much personal preference as it has nothing to do with the performance.. but the particular tip I have on the muffler is the oval ended one and is part number: 35129
Old Apr 22, 2003, 09:39 PM

out of curiosity, why didn't you go with 3" pipes, and what is the stock diameter of the exaust on the lancer? I have the part numbers, and I am going to price this out tomorrow. So is it all sound? or is there a performance increase as well? This set up sounded awesome!
Old Apr 22, 2003, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

that is an AMAZING sounding exhaust...im sold i cant wait to get mine! Thanks!!!
Old Apr 22, 2003, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

definite performance bump. Was surprised... didn't really notice it until I put my air intake back on as well. But the two combined I can actually chirp second gear pretty easy now. So try doing that in your lancer if you have no mods. I also noticed it actuall responds to the gas pedal a bit better in 4th and 5th at highway speeds where it used to dog like no other. So not a night and day difference, but definitely a plus in performance.

There is a lot of dicussion on this forum about pipe size... From the people that I talked to that do exhaust and from what I had read and so forth, you get different types of performance from different size pipes. The basics are this:

Small give you good low end torque because of the high back pressure, but definitely hurts you on the high end.

Big kills your low end, especially without a high flow air intake on the front.

So somewhere in the middle is usually where you want to go, and in an ideal case you may be able to bump up both your low end and your high end overall.

From what I read the ideal torque setup for a displacement of our size is about 2" which is what the stock exhaust supposedly is. Although I've read people saying that the it is 1 and 7/8s If I could find my tape measure I'd hop up in my attic and get the size for you. But assume it is 2" then going to 2.25 is actually a 30% increase in the actual cross section of the pipe. From what I read that was the best size to go with and not suffer too much in the torque department. There are guys on here that have gone 2.5" and said they had no low end torque issues. So it is preference. Everything that I found out pointed much more to 2.25" than 2.5 or even 3". So hence I went with it. I am very happy with the performance and I've noticed that the power band feels much less peaky. The car suddenly felt much smoother in it's acceleration as it spooled instead of getting such a significant bump at around 4K (still can feel it... but everything around it feels strong though too)

So that's the general idea of it all. I've never gotten to getting you guys more sound clips as I've had trouble time wise and getting my buddy's digital video camera to get the clips I need. Besides, the interior sound is much more dominated by the air intake than the exhaust. It adds a nice low underpinning, but you hear the intake mostly inside the car. Overall the exhaust sounds just fantastic and everyone that has listened to it in person has just loved it and thought it sounds so big and meaty and sporty... no rice here!

Later

Steve
Old Apr 22, 2003, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Interceptor
out of curiosity, why didn't you go with 3" pipes, and what is the stock diameter of the exaust on the lancer?
Stock diameter is no bigger than 2", and 3" piping is way to big, maybe even for turbo in our car. Usually the bigger the piping the better, but you have to essentially match the increased pipe size with increased exhaust flow or you'll kill your torque numbers.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 04:40 PM

Cheers to your great sounding exhaust note. Definitely no rice there!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Finally got more audio for you guys. It is very high fidelity (was recorded on over 3,000 dollars worth of audio equipment.. little bro is a pro-audio salesman... so if you guys need a hook up on great pro-audio equipment... like mikes, PA's speakers and some high end home theatre stuff I can refer you to him)

But one thing I noticed with the recordings is that the high frequency noises come through a bit clearer than the way it sounds in person. So this is pretty close overall but the high fidelity equipment picks up EVERYTHING crystal clear and probably better than you normally hear it... guess that is what you get for a 600 dollar microphone.

Here is the link to the page with the various audio clips and some pics of the car.

http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~nackers/car/

Later.

Steve
Old Jul 15, 2003, 08:40 AM

How would I make my muffler quieter??? Anyone know??
Old Jul 15, 2003, 08:47 AM

That Resonator you have on your car, is it a quiet one then the stock?? If so where did you get it from?
Old Jul 15, 2003, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

You'd make your muffler quieter by adding a resonator or by adding another muffler inline as well. I doubt that the resonator I have is quieter than stock... but it is possible. If you simply put a bigger muffler on the end (as far as body size... not bore) you will also end up with a quieter exhaust assuming the muffler design is the same.

What do you have for an exhaust that it is too loud for you? The setup I have is pretty darn quiet and unobtrusive but still noticeably there.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

I have a RMR rear section and it only added a little bass, it sounds great. The loudest thing on my car was the intake until I added a test pipe now it's at the noise limit I like. Will the RRM header make my car louder? Does anyone know how loud the tial wastegate is on a turbo lancer, because Iplan to go turbo within 3 months
Old Jul 15, 2003, 07:55 PM

I belive your turbo wastegate is gonna be LOUD. However just connect it to your Exhaust and it should be much better

Quick Reply: Low dB High Flow Exhaust