Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

torque pattern header

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque pattern header

hey i think i have an exhaust leak.. installed the rrm headers two days ago..
is there a specific pattern you have to torque the bolts?.. is the 14mm lower left nut needed? need help please
im hearing a slight whistle and when im revving my engine up to 4 when the rpms go down i can hear it pop? can someone help me understand nd explain please
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

bump! need help please.. i just ran outside to tighten them down.. i went from outside on both sides and came to the middle.. im getting a torque wrench tomorrow but i can still hear it.. it doesn't sound like im popping.. maybe a gasket vibration? i tightened everything down pretty tight? iono need help please!
Old Apr 7, 2006, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure of exact torque specs, all I can really tell you on that issue is tight, but not too tight. Good rule to remember with stuff like that is try to remember how tight they felt originally, and then try to get it the same afterwards.

It would be a wise idea to put all of the nuts back on. They were there for a reason to begin with, or Mitsubishi would have saved the extra 5 cents. Also, tighten from the center out on flat surfaces, because if the center is warped slightly, when you tighten it down, other things will want to move. If the edges are already tight, all that will happen is there will be excess stress on the metal and it won't seat as tightly as possible.

Hope that helps. Maybe somebody else can give proper torque numbers in a later post.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

He touched just about everything! Only other thing i can think of is that u messed up ur gasket and bent it. Also make sure ur the surface is flat and clean (its not so much of a big deal with a metal gasket but itll help seal.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 06:57 AM
EvoM Guru

you actually did the opposite of what you're supposed to do. start from the middle and alternate towards the outside, like NS said. all the nuts are 12 ft-lbs EXCEPT the bottom right nut, which is 22 ft-lbs.