Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

performance/noise concerns

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 01:52 PM
K.I
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance/noise concerns

ok i got a couple concerns.

1. i got an 03 ES auto. pretty much stock except for rrm headers and a k&n short air intake. just the other day as i was getting onto the highway on my way home from the store, the car sounded like (from the inside of the car at least) one of those fart can hondas that you can hear from like a mile away. you can only hear it when i press the gas only. not during idle or when im cruising. im wondering if it has something to do with the intake manifold? or what because i know its def. coming from that area because i took my K&n off and revd it up and i could hear it even louder. (from under the hood)

2. i used to have some slight idle problems where my car would jerk very lightly when im stopped at a light or just parked somewhere. it didnt concern me till again, recently when i was at a light and the car felt like someone was pushing it back and forth... it only feels like this when im in 1st, 2nd, and just the regular drive gear. it doesnt do it when im in park, reverse, or neutral. im pretty sure im probably gonna end up taking it to the dealership anyways but i was just wondering if its something i can end up fixing.

just a little more info, the car has 57k miles. oil gets changed every 3k. and just incase, i used most of the time 10w30. but for this last one i did (which was today) i ended up using 5w30. thanks

Last edited by K.I; Feb 14, 2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:57 PM

check the connection on the intake
it sounds like the maf(the black adapter where the intake connects) may be loose
i don't know if that will work but it is worth a try
good luck
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

1. It's just the fact of having the air intake... Trust me! My RMR intake is louder than the Greddy Evo II exhaust.

2. First, try a simple tranny flush... 5 qts of the Diamond ATF from the dealership for the first drain and fill. Then do it again in another month or so.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 08:17 PM
K.I
Evolving Member

yea i was going with a tranny service since its probably around that time anyways.

as far as the noise, ive had the intake for a while now but it used to be a lower pitch noise. now it seems like i have a whole exhaust system lol. also, i dont know if the noise is making me think this but it feels like its harder to accelerate since it happened. but again its probably just my brain playing tricks i dont know.. guess ill check it out tommorow when i drive it. thnx so far for the help
Old Feb 14, 2007, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may sound stupid, but check your header bolts and make sure they are not loose. Could be a bad exhaust leak from the header. Pop your hood, start your car and have someone rev it up a little while you listen outside the car.

Edit: Also I would check the bolts connecting the header and the downpipe.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

^ or you can rev it up from the engine bay via throttle body o0
Old Mar 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
K.I
Evolving Member

ok back at it again. the whole idling problem is fine now. but as far as power goes, something is def. wrong. i can floor it and not go anywhere and its really loud. i asked a friend mechanic and he says he THINKS it could be the cat? he hasnt been in the car with me so its pretty much based on what i was telling him. im thinking its either intake or exhaust. i took my cat off half way but before i continue to go further, i just wanted to see if theres anything else i can check
Old Mar 19, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Did you check the exhaust for leaks?? Check from the header to muffler
Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by phil_
Did you check the exhaust for leaks?? Check from the header to muffler
^ What he said
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by K.I
i can floor it and not go anywhere
hum... that's called "Driving a Lancer" buddy

But yeah, as mentioned before, keep us posted on the leaks.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:01 PM

Check for leaks having an exhaust leak could be one of the problems

another thing is your cat converter if the glass inside of it is all broke it will be loud and block the exhaust from escaping causing a big power loss and could cause fire. I have heard of people getting there muffler all hot and then running into a big puddle and I cased "I mean they" caused all the glass to brake in their CAT.