Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

OBX Header

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also how loud does this make the exhaust i'll prob put on a cat to sound it down
Old May 4, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smalltown
Wouldn't the short down pipe be for 02-03 because the cat is seperate from the down pipe. The long down pipe would be 04-07 because the cat and down pipe are all the same piece. Does that make sense to everyone else or just me...

Good eye, that does make sense. I will probably be going with the long one then since they are all the same price.
Old May 11, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

hey drucea, with the long pipe do you think it would set off a cel light? because there is one on the headers and one on the long pipe. so would i need two of those RRM cel light things?
Old May 11, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

lol I have no clue, I plan on getting my car inspected now, then getting those and figuring out from there if I need to fix a CEL.
Old May 11, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

so when do you plan on getting it i plan on very soon!
Old May 11, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Drucea, just so you have a header that is possibly compatible with the rrm turbo, i would purchase the RRM header. good quality, and it works with their jPIPE turbo setup.
Old May 11, 2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by TougeOZ_04
hey drucea, with the long pipe do you think it would set off a cel light? because there is one on the headers and one on the long pipe. so would i need two of those RRM cel light things?
I think you only need one CEL thing no matter what header you get. You put the CEL bolt in the O2 sensor under the car, not the one in the header. The O2 sensor in the header reads one thing ( I really don't know what it reads, maybe air/fuel ratio or something), and the O2 sensor under the car reads for the cat in the headers. So I think you only need one.
Old May 11, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

the first one if i understand correctly is to monitor your air fuel for the ecu when it reaches high octance map per your tps position. the second sensor is for your car to check and make sure your cat is functioning.
Old May 11, 2007, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I know the second one reads the air after the cat to make sure the air coming out is clean. I know about the RRM header, but I'm still going with the OBX header because it's half the price, and does the same thing, but differently. I believe it's a mix between the RRM header and the RPW header. Plus I want the down pipe. I don't plan on going turbo on a budget. So when I go turbo, I will have money for the 16g kit. Plus, a header doesn't really go bad, so resale on any header is pretty decent.
Old May 12, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

WOOT what he said
Old May 12, 2007, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drucea
Yeah, I know the second one reads the air after the cat to make sure the air coming out is clean. I know about the RRM header, but I'm still going with the OBX header because it's half the price, and does the same thing, but differently. I believe it's a mix between the RRM header and the RPW header. Plus I want the down pipe. I don't plan on going turbo on a budget. So when I go turbo, I will have money for the 16g kit. Plus, a header doesn't really go bad, so resale on any header is pretty decent.
....The OBX header is NOT EVEN close to the dammed RPW header, the RPW header is equal length runner that run all the way down to the downpipe, so they are very long. they are also VERY large in diameter. the other headers are ALL short runner and not equal length runners. The OBX is bottom line IMHO, it is a tad better than stock but not worth the money especially if u plan to get a turbo setup later. good luck

BTW when the 16g kit is proven to make more power than the t28 kit, i wont be saying its superior, except for manifold ddesign.

Last edited by kungfugirl; May 12, 2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old May 12, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kungfugirl
....The OBX header is NOT EVEN close to the dammed RPW header, the RPW header is equal length runner that run all the way down to the downpipe, so they are very long. they are also VERY large in diameter. the other headers are ALL short runner and not equal length runners. The OBX is bottom line IMHO, it is a tad better than stock but not worth the money especially if u plan to get a turbo setup later. good luck

BTW when the 16g kit is proven to make more power than the t28 kit, i wont be saying its superior, except for manifold ddesign.
You don't have to get so defensive. I'm not saying the OBX header is bar far the best one out, I'm saying that until someone hops on a dyno with all 3 of these and proves that the OBX header is the worst out there, I still would probably go with it. All we gain from a header is a couple HP at the most, and in the wrong place. I don't really want top end with no low end. That's why some people like the RPW header more, because it creates more low end power than RRMs. I don't want to get into this discussion of wich is better, I'm just saying that with the low amount we gain, I don't see it as a big deal. I want what is cheap right now until I have money for the 16g kit way down the road because IMO it's hotter than the J pipe setup.
Old May 12, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drucea
You don't have to get so defensive. I'm not saying the OBX header is bar far the best one out, I'm saying that until someone hops on a dyno with all 3 of these and proves that the OBX header is the worst out there, I still would probably go with it. All we gain from a header is a couple HP at the most, and in the wrong place. I don't really want top end with no low end. That's why some people like the RPW header more, because it creates more low end power than RRMs. I don't want to get into this discussion of wich is better, I'm just saying that with the low amount we gain, I don't see it as a big deal. I want what is cheap right now until I have money for the 16g kit way down the road because IMO it's hotter than the J pipe setup.
purchasing a kit cuz its "hotter", is lame. im not defensive im giving you good info.

i HAVE HAD rpw header, obx, and now have rrm with my turbo setup.

i have experienced all three. but who am i to tell you
Old May 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

It's cool, I understand where you are coming from. Just in my opinion, I feel that with the small gains we get from them, I just want to go with OBX. They won't be permanent anyways. And the turbo isn't only because it's hot, it is proven to put out a decent amount of power with room to upgrade. I think it has also made the same power as the J pipe setup so I'd rather have it look better. It's from RRM and they are proven, so it's not a big deal. i really do thank you for your advice. I'm just a stubborn person lol.
Old May 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

My question is, if you are acknowledging that it it only a small gain, and saying that you will sell it shortly, why waste your money? Why not save the oBx money and use it to go turbo all the much sooner.

BTW I did have dyno numbers way back in the day for these headers. Well not these in specific but the HP Racing (which is a little better than the OBx) and the RPW headers. My one friend dynoed 11whp more with H/I/X when he switched from HP Racing to RPW. I didnt believe it until I saw the dyno sheets. Same dyno and no additional mods to my knowledge. But his peak HP gain was 11 whp. Notably this was on a 1.8L Mirage, and mirages have been known to be very acceptive to mods. Not sure how the Lancer would respond.

Quick Reply: OBX Header