Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

engine oil light

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine oil light

im having an issue when i put my car in park the engine oil light blinks a few times and seems like its about to stall but hasnt yet... this has only started to happen tonight i checked the oil and its fine, maybe a tiny bit below the 2nd line but still clear. im a little worried service is due in another ~300miles but the oil looks so clean probabl going to get an appointment tomarrow. if any one has ever heard of something like this please help me.

2003 lancer.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Change the oil and see what happens.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Oil light coming on is typically for a lack of pressure. It could be a bad pressure sender or maybe you are running an oil that is too thin. Or worst case, your oil pump isn't working as it should.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably just the oil pressure sender. The oil pumps on these cars are very reliable and it sounds like you've serviced the car regularly. Remove the oil pressure sender and thread in a pressure guage. You should have at least 10psi at idle and upwards of 40-45 psi at 4000 rpms. If it's lower, an engine replacement is in your future. I'd bet on it being the sender though.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:55 AM

ive been going since i bought the car put a couple thousand miles on it and didnt have this problem before. so im kinda worried heh..
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:57 AM

Just try sea foam ! Stuff works good, could just be a dirty sensor !
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by tantrik
Just try sea foam ! Stuff works good, could just be a dirty sensor !
do i just pour that where i put the oil in or?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think sea foam will clean a sensor. Sensors usually either work or they don't. At least, that's how is has always been for me. Try changing your oil first, try some 10w-40 for the summer.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:28 AM

i just started it and it wass good no lag or anything then drove it 4.5 miles pretty hard and parked it and it didnt lag or flash at me at all so now im just confused gona get oil and an oil filter today before work
Old Jul 8, 2008, 08:28 AM

the oil sensor is dirty or something might be blocking it. i had this problem not too long ago where the light would come on when i was stopping or when i was parked and it would disappear when i drove. but whatever was blocking eventually went away but just to be safe i picked up a new sensor from mitsubishi and replaced it when i did my next oil change.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mcgarvey
Probably just the oil pressure sender. The oil pumps on these cars are very reliable and it sounds like you've serviced the car regularly. Remove the oil pressure sender and thread in a pressure guage. You should have at least 10psi at idle and upwards of 40-45 psi at 4000 rpms. If it's lower, an engine replacement is in your future. I'd bet on it being the sender though.
really i get 20psi at idle.....
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by BlackOZLancer
the oil sensor is dirty or something might be blocking it. i had this problem not too long ago where the light would come on when i was stopping or when i was parked and it would disappear when i drove. but whatever was blocking eventually went away but just to be safe i picked up a new sensor from mitsubishi and replaced it when i did my next oil change.
sounds exactly what im having cept it only happens when i put it in park what what the total price for that?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 01:48 PM

i picked it up at the mitsubishi dealership and it cost me about $30CDN
Old Jul 8, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1lancer
really i get 20psi at idle.....

That's why I said at least. Lancers use a gerotor oil pump which is designed to produce good pressure and volume even at lower engine speeds. They are quite reliable and it's unlikely that it has gone bad. If it has, you're better off replacing the entire engine.

Everyone needs to stop speculating, and you just need to hook up an oil pressure gauge to your car and see what's really going on! Then you can look into replacing parts as needed.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by mcgarvey
That's why I said at least. Lancers use a gerotor oil pump which is designed to produce good pressure and volume even at lower engine speeds. They are quite reliable and it's unlikely that it has gone bad. If it has, you're better off replacing the entire engine.

Everyone needs to stop speculating, and you just need to hook up an oil pressure gauge to your car and see what's really going on! Then you can look into replacing parts as needed.
thanks just tryin to learn....the reason i said that was because i just put it in...and it never goes past 80psi..
now what can a oil temp guage tell us........if any.

Quick Reply: engine oil light