Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

engine oil light

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2008, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcgarvey
That's why I said at least. Lancers use a gerotor oil pump which is designed to produce good pressure and volume even at lower engine speeds. They are quite reliable and it's unlikely that it has gone bad. If it has, you're better off replacing the entire engine.

Everyone needs to stop speculating, and you just need to hook up an oil pressure gauge to your car and see what's really going on! Then you can look into replacing parts as needed.
how much you think i can pick up one of these guages for
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1lancer
thanks just tryin to learn....the reason i said that was because i just put it in...and it never goes past 80psi..
now what can a oil temp guage tell us........if any.
Your oil pressure should be between about 15-80psi depending on RPM. It should certainly never exceed 80!

Oil temp is useless unless running a turbo. You could drive the crap out of these cars and oil temperature will never go too high.

BTW, I'm not talking about checking this using a ricer gauge pod thing. I mean an oil pressure gauge that comes in a test kit, usually with various fittings like for fuel pressure, oil pressure, manifold vacuum, etc. You can get a good one for under $100 with all the fittings, or I'm sure you could find a cheap one for much less.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcgarvey
Your oil pressure should be between about 15-80psi depending on RPM. It should certainly never exceed 80!

Oil temp is useless unless running a turbo. You could drive the crap out of these cars and oil temperature will never go too high.

BTW, I'm not talking about checking this using a ricer gauge pod thing. I mean an oil pressure gauge that comes in a test kit, usually with various fittings like for fuel pressure, oil pressure, manifold vacuum, etc. You can get a good one for under $100 with all the fittings, or I'm sure you could find a cheap one for much less.
thanks for all the help..