Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

For those who have the 4B12 engine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sonicwave
humm ok! I may be wrong, but as a mecanic with all the courses a had in that domain, i learned that with the new ''standards'' of electronic injections now, if an ECU read a different value of A/F ratio added with all other sensors signals, automatically the ECU will re-adjust the stoquio metric value (14.7/1) to compensate! For the Injen CAI, maybe the MR technology was develloped to manage the airflow ratio to trick a bit the ECU.

I'm wrong????

Maybe the Canadian ECU is different from the US, but at my point of view, the only difference i can see is if you have de PZEV or the FED one. So, maybe the emmissions controls of the ECU may be different.
dont get me wrong it does make power still but the performance is comprimised due to the ecu's inability to run aggressive like the FED USA spec. I am hoping we have a resolution shortly with Mitsubishi. Either way as soon as I get a written response from Mitsubishi Canada I am off to the boarder to get my ECU flashed to USA spec.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonicwave
humm ok! I may be wrong, but as a mecanic with all the courses a had in that domain, i learned that with the new ''standards'' of electronic injections now, if an ECU read a different value of A/F ratio added with all other sensors signals, automatically the ECU will re-adjust the stoquio metric value (14.7/1) to compensate! For the Injen CAI, maybe the MR technology was develloped to manage the airflow ratio to trick a bit the ECU.

I'm wrong????

Maybe the Canadian ECU is different from the US, but at my point of view, the only difference i can see is if you have de PZEV or the FED one. So, maybe the emmissions controls of the ECU may be different.
This isn't completely true. As I said, intakes work on two levels, they increase the amount of air the engine ingests and, through their design, they lean out the mixture. If the car automatically adjusted back to whatever target AF ratio it had (unlikely to be stoichiometric under WOT), the gains would be minimal.
Evo_soul, I don't understand how you reached the conclusion that the ECUs are different. You put the car on the dyno yet you have no US-Spec control to compare to.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Evo_soul, I don't understand how you reached the conclusion that the ECUs are different. You put the car on the dyno yet you have no US-Spec control to compare to.
we do, and we have , brief testing was done on a USA spec car driven up from Buffalo, he will return again so we can conduct our testing and validation of the CAI results for the regular lancer.

We have confirmed the Canadian Spec ECU issue on 2 2008 Lancer models and 1 2009 lancer model. 2.0L engine for all of them. This ECU issue is suspected on the 2.4L engine variant but not yet confirmed. That said, this unique ECU behaviour has already been observed and confirmed with Works Engineering in our consultations with them on the matter. The logic is no one sees more ECU's from across north America then the boys at WORKs Their stories on the behaviour are similar and even more puzzling.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_soul
we do, and we have , brief testing was done on a USA spec car driven up from Buffalo, he will return again so we can conduct our testing and validation of the CAI results for the regular lancer.

We have confirmed the Canadian Spec ECU issue on 2 2008 Lancer models and 1 2009 lancer model. 2.0L engine for all of them. This ECU issue is suspected on the 2.4L engine variant but not yet confirmed. That said, this unique ECU behaviour has already been observed and confirmed with Works Engineering in our consultations with them on the matter. The logic is no one sees more ECU's from across north America then the boys at WORKs Their stories on the behaviour are similar and even more puzzling.
The link doesn't show any of this, do you have any data? I would find it very odd that Mitsubishi designed three separate ECUs for the Lancer (US-Spec, California-Spec and CAD-Spec).
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:02 PM

Do not you know the ECU of the rest of the world? america latina o centroamerica?

Originally Posted by evo_soul
correction, the Canadian ECU doesnt re-adjust itself. lol its a zombie
as mentioned here
http://www.evosoul.com/blog/?page_id=346
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What were your 60ft times, what kind of wheels/tires are you running? Good job on your times! I ran a 15.7 stock, cant wait to go back since I installed my injen cai.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Yes mitsubishi did infact design different ecu's. The one here in SA is semi-adjusting, but runs quite passively. The only way to change this is with a reflash.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:41 AM

good info