Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Upgrade? or sell for evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade? or sell for evo?

First off, I have an 03' Lancer ES. The car is completely stock as far as the engine goes. I was thinking about selling the car and buying an evo (used, like an 03' evo). But the problem with that is on top of the $12,000 or so i would have to borrow to buy the evo, I would also have to get the evo re-painted, get another set of wheels, another carbonfiber hood, another sound system, etc.

So I came to the forum for help!, if I had a budget of say 12-14Gs would I be able to get my 03' lancer es upgraded decently?? This includes whatever I would have to pay to the mechanic. (altho I could probly install an intake, exhaust, etc myself).

One thing to note is my car is an automatic, and Im not to crazy about converting to a manual. I was hoping to get 320+ HP with my budget, keeping the car an automatic.

I would sincerely appreciate any help on what I should do, or what I should upgrade to get my car to the level I want.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't think the automatic will handle over 230hp. I have a friend with a lancer and he had to convert to manual to get past that mark.
If you had the money, i'd say buy the evo.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

buy an evo. having to deal with an auto and FWD is not worth it. even if u did upgrade with everything u would need (turbo kit etc) it would never drive like an evo. since the economy stinks right now you should be able to find a decent 03 for a good price. gl with the decision
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, (thanks for the fast replies by the way).

What sort of price should I be looking for, for an evo?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Evo FTW. Get a loan if you have to. Expect to pay anywhere from 12 to 18 grand for a used 03 Evo. It will be worth it, you don't even have to modify it. It will give you an abundance of joy, STOCK! Look in the Evo classified section on this forum.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

bump, just found out stock 03s prices range from 16k to 23k right now.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Is there really any debate over this? A Lancer is not an Evo, end of story. You can dump thousands into making the Lancer somewhat close in performance or you can save yourself the trouble and buy a superior car right off the bat. Much of the stuff you listed isn't necessary anyways. You don't need or want a CF hood on an Evo, the stock hood is as light or lighter than most of the aftermarket hoods out there. A sound system is necessary either. Do the smart thing and spend a bit more on a good quality used Evo now rather than deal with broken parts later.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

How good would I be able to get the ES with my budget? The only reason im considering keeping my car is because i dont like manual cars :\, and i also do alot of car shows so the paint and exterior styling is important
Old Jan 31, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Define good. For 10000$ you could have a decently fast daily driver but it would come at various costs.
First off, an aftermarket turboed car never drives as well as one that comes stock. Aftermarket companies simply don't have the budget to engineer a product like a manufacturer can.
Second, it'll be loud. This relates to the first point. Companies like Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda, etc. have to follow certain guidelines when they build a car. A car can't be earth shattering loud when it leaves the showroom floor. On the other hand, the more free flowing an exhaust is, generally the louder it is. A more free-flowing exhaust makes more power on a turbo system. If you are heavily modifying your car (as will be necessary), you'll have an exhaust which makes it loud.
Third, the reliability won't be nearly at the level that a stock car is. Something will break, you can guarantee it. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and what. If you're lucky, it's something small, say a gasket goes or a sensor goes. If you're unlucky, the engine ****s the bed or the transmission goes out.
Forth, for the budget you'll allocated, you can only really attack one area (whether it be engine, suspension, exterior, interior). For 10000$ you could have a fully built motor pushing 250+ HP but you'd have stock suspension, stock brakes, stock exterior and stock interior, save for minor mods. You could fully deck out the suspension but then you'd be slow. If you split the money between the two performance categories, you could have a decently quick car that handles nice but it won't be an Evo.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

If you have the chance/ability to get an Evo then you should.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

I thought upgrade meant getting a Evolution. Personally if you have the chance of getting the evolution now i would do it as everyone else is suggesting, but money comes into play on a lot of things. Everyone has their opinions. When thinking about getting the evolution will you have the money to be able to repair it if it should fail? Considering if you keep the base lancer parts would be cheaper because you don't have warranty. Its all on you. Think hard before you make any decisions.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

How far would I be able to upgrade my evo on a budget of say $2000?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

You could get an exhaust and a tune.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would probably sell and get something else... It wouldn't be an evolution though... What would you do with whatever you get though? Will it just be a quick street car? Autox? Road race? Drag? What would you want?