Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Is it legal to install RRM's turbo in California?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bladed
Lol, you can't install exhaust, intake, or pully in California. Just install it and don't get caught with it. If the police pull you over they might not even know what's on your car. And you don't have to pass inspection for awhile.
Originally Posted by AF-Evo8
the only thing legal to install in cali is a playing card in you bicycle wheel, but the cop might harass you for noise violation then.
you guys get get the award for the most not-knowledgeable and unhelpful posts in this thread so far

Originally Posted by Canada_Comp
I remember reading somewhere that RRM is/was developing a CARB legal turbo kit.
They tried...a few years ago, but getting carb cert is not the same as a smog test and the only thing the car kept failing was cold start emissions after a few runs, they bunked the idea

to the OP:
heres a good read
http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/streetlegal.html
and just incase you wanted the law book
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

another good read from scionlife, some link look to be old tho

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=165444
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wat can u do in cali...
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:11 PM

thanks for the links lookslikeanevo... I have talked to a state referee supervisor and got every info I needed... Installing a turbo with no carb e.o. number is definitely illegal and even if there is a carb e.o. number on the turbo it has to be for that year make and model otherwise its also illegal... I guess I got no choice but to install this thing and drive it carefully... Ill be doing it pretty soon... California sucks
Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
you guys get get the award for the most not-knowledgeable and unhelpful posts in this thread so far

They tried...a few years ago, but getting carb cert is not the same as a smog test and the only thing the car kept failing was cold start emissions after a few runs, they bunked the idea

to the OP:
heres a good read
http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/streetlegal.html
and just incase you wanted the law book
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm
I just read through your links and everything basically said If its not CARB cert. Its illegal, "Illegal engine modifications. Most are illegal due to smog (27156 VC)", "Excessively noisy exhaust systems and mufflers (27150, 27151 VC). Many aftermarket exhaust systems and parts are illegal. Look for parts that meet California law. If it doesn't say it meets the law, it probably doesn't."

So from my understanding, It is basically illegal to install anything. You can dispute it by getting your cars tested at a certified Smog facility, but you would have to pay the Fee's which can cost $1,000's of dollars.

There's only 1 intake that is CARB certified and thats the AEM intake, and it only works on manual transmission cars, unless you get the bracket from the injen intake.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:23 AM
Account Disabled

California SUCKS for modifying cars, BUT everyone does it.....so do i! **** California's laws for modifying cars.

Drop that turbo you have, call it a day, have fun, and don't get caught. :x

Until you get caught, that's when you broke the law, bahaha!
Old Apr 12, 2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Domolution
California SUCKS for modifying cars, BUT everyone does it.....so do i! **** California's laws for modifying cars.

Drop that turbo you have, call it a day, have fun, and don't get caught. :x

Until you get caught, that's when you broke the law, bahaha!
yup yup
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bladed
I just read through your links and everything basically said If its not CARB cert. Its illegal, "Illegal engine modifications. Most are illegal due to smog (27156 VC)", "Excessively noisy exhaust systems and mufflers (27150, 27151 VC). Many aftermarket exhaust systems and parts are illegal. Look for parts that meet California law. If it doesn't say it meets the law, it probably doesn't."

So from my understanding, It is basically illegal to install anything. You can dispute it by getting your cars tested at a certified Smog facility, but you would have to pay the Fee's which can cost $1,000's of dollars.

There's only 1 intake that is CARB certified and thats the AEM intake, and it only works on manual transmission cars, unless you get the bracket from the injen intake.
if thats what you got out of it then ok...what do you have to worry about you're in maryland...
The CHP site is a basic breakdown, but thats exactly why i also link the CVC some parts of the CHP site like... i would have to agree that 75-90% of exhaust systems sold are over the 95db limit...

I have been in cali most of my life, and rule of thumb, if you dont drive like an *** then you prolly wont get pulled... I ran my (300hp)legacy catless for most of the time i owned it, and i have ran thru electronic snifffers anddropped to thrid in front of cops without much attention, never sent to the referee but i have been ticketed for speeding a few times...