Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Lancer vs Civic Sedan Si

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personnaly id take a civic si over the lancer ne day just my opinion
Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sedan Si. The Sedan Si may not be as good looking as a Lancer, but the look of a Lancer doesn't justify the buy. I'd rather pick up a Si for the extra ~50 horses and the potential power behind it.

Last edited by jRox; Apr 20, 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greedy_son
The reason i chose the Lancer.

1.) The styling is way better, the lancer has that aggresive look.
thats a personal choice
2.) Cheaper / more options come standard
if you get a comparable model lancer then its more expensive. si is the civic top of the line and the rallyart is the mitsu top of the line. rallyart 25k si 21k
3.) Warranty
but thats only if he keeps it relatively stock. you cant do to much with a mitsu before they start voiding warranty. honda is a little more giving
4.) Way to many civics / mazda running around.
absolutly true
5.) Gas mileage
same or the civic has slightly better gas mileage.
6.) Safety. 9 Airbags (i may be mistaken)
true. but with front, front side and side airbags thats plenty.
7.) Colour
personal again.

Cons:
With insurance being so high up in Canada for young drivers, its hard to get an evo without been raped. The Lancer is just a stepping stone till im older and my rates come down.

The paint sucks, so if you do get one get 3M film and mud flaps.

Hope this helps

coming from an si to an evo i can compare the two. i miss the si but the evo offers a lot more room for power growth. if you just want to do a few bolt ons and have a little fun go with the si. the regular lancer is more of a family car. the rallyart is pretty sweet tho.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to have the ralliart, but I thought it only came in the auto. I am not going to buy a sport sedan and get an auto.
But if I can afford to get a ralliart I would also throw the subie into play.
I can't get another evo or even look at a sti either, not unless I get them used.
I am looking at getting a new car.
Thanks with all to repleys guys

James
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

My last car was an 06 civic Si. The Si has WAY more potential for power, the bolt-ons are cheaper and do more performance wise then the lancer bolt-ons. I switched over to the lancer cause I just couldn't get over the looks of the Si which I thought I would eventually come around to like. For myself, the lancer has enough power for my DD, is fun to drive and looks great and something the wife liked.
If u want to do a bunch of performance mods and don't mind the looks go with the Si.
If u just need a DD and don't want to do a bunch of bolt-ons but still want something that looks really good, get the Lancer.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:18 PM

i'd take the civic b/c there are wayy more mods available + holds value better
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:27 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love my Lancer but I have to agree with some of the guys here. If you want proformance go with the RA or Si.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Si sedan any day of the week
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Why not drive both and decide for yourself?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Lancer if you want a cool looking car that you don't see everywhere.
Si if you want something with more performance options.

I love my lancer but it's kinda a bummer knowing that 250hp is pretty much the cap for the 4b11-4b12 as of now (maybe we'll see more parts in the future). The Si isn't as aggressive looking but you can get them to look amazing with a few mods. I like the way the 4dr Si's with HID/Yellow Fog/CF front lip/CF hood/Mugen Spoiler and some nice JDM style gold on chrome rims . but stock I have to say the Lancer is way more aggressive looking and I struggle to find one when I am doing my daily driving.

Lancer
+aggressive and less popular
+10year 100kmile warranty
+It is a
+more standard options

-Less power and potential
-Only has a 5-speed

Si
+more stock HP and much more potential
+6 speed

-Extremely popular and common to see
-higher price
-fewer standards
-short warranty
-digital dash (never been a fan of a digital gauge telling me RPMs because my old z liked to glitch a lot making red line shifting sketchy)
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

All depends on what you want: FInancially the Lancer makes the most sense. The resale sucks, but you said you would keep it and drive it to the ground, so that is a mute issue. The warranty on a Honda is 3 yrs. 36k miles bumper to bumper. Mitsu is 5 yr. 60k and 100k power train. Civic gets a little better gas mileage. You might want to put your childs car seat in the back of each one also. Once you put that car seat in the back, you can get a better idea of how much more room is left over; just in case you expand your family! LOL Also trunk space. I would compare trunk space for groceries, and any items you may need to take in the trunk. Honda has a great reputation, I have owned 6 and loved them all. You just need to make a list of pro's and con's of each vehicle, and decide what you really want out of your new vehicle! Good Luck, and keep us updated!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Civic SI all day every day
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:03 PM

When i bought my lancer GTS, I test drove everything. The SI for every day driving had to little power to me unless you were in the 6500 rpm range and above. It makes a dismal 139 peak TQ which makes 5/6th gear passing power on the highway terrible. You would need to down shift in the SI where in the lancer(4B12 that is) you would not. The Si would be worth it to me if I wanted to go in a straight line all the time with the gas floored. Even then you would LOOSE the extra fuel efficiency of the Honda from having to be in the 6k rpm range to keep that power. I also didnt like the layout of the dash in the Civic in general. The Quality of the materials were better to me but I felt cramped and awkward in it.

Dont get me wrong, the SI is a great, very fast car, but for a daily driver the lancer was a better value to me.

Thats what I gathered from my 2 test drives in the Si. I had my choices narrowed down to a Scion TC, Lancer GTS and a SI, and to me the Lancer won hands down with a good balance of power and features. Plus I was 19,5k OTD with the lancer. Neither Scion nor Honda would barter with price due to the popularity of Honda and Toyota. they knew if I didnt buy it someone else would. they actually made me feel like I was asking for one of there kidneys when i tried to have them come down $500.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what its worth.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
jzt

Im biased, I have an Si as a DD and a DSM.

My experience:

You should not pay a penny over 22k USD for the 4dr SI.
(2drs are ugly and weigh only 60 lb less)
Ask for some free upgrades if you can, like a rubber trunkmat or all season floormats.

Insurance is around $130/month for full coverage. Im 26, in college.

I ran 15.0 @94 factory stock and a 2.1 60ft. (5k on the clock,no mods/spare in the trunk).
I/H/E will get you over the 200whp mark or close to it.
The car handles very well.

The (08) Si has 8 airbags. It also has an LSD, not sure if the Lancer has one.

You can get about 38 MPG on the highway. 6th gear is not for passing though.
Going into VTEC often around town kills gas mileage.
The dash in the si has an analog tach, the speedo is digital.

Resale value should be decent, there should be good demand for the Si.

Bad

The seating position may take getting used to, Im 6'1 and the ebrake handle is touching my knee.
I hate the way the 09 si looks, the Lancer looks better. The 06, 07 and some early 08's have an issue with the 3rd Gear. It took a lot of complaints, but Honda issued a recall.

To change the spark plugs in the sedan, the plastic cowl around the windshield wipers and the wipers need to be removed. The engine is pushed pretty far back.

Its true, there are a lot of these on the road. It could also be seen as an advantage - the parts will get cheaper. Half of the owners are typical young ricers.

Test drive both cars. I dont suggest buying on the same day as the test drive, go in with cool head and leave if you cannot get what you are asking for.
Hope this helps .

Last edited by jzt; Apr 20, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Si is going to hold its value 10x better then the Lancer. The honda is WAY more Reliable for a daily driver. And its acctully pretty fun to drive. Gets good gas milage for what the car is. Gear box is fun as hell.

Civic is one of the safest small cars you can buy , Iv seen many accidents in these cars that look awfull and people walk away from them. Honda is the best engineered car out , PERIOD. They put the most RND into there company each year. And dominate there class in almost
every catagory. Too bad they just dont have a "fast" car.

Also civics have a 500 Cash back incentive right now , I sell... hondas... If you work ur deal right you can get an SI for under 20k brand new.

Last edited by BostonEvo; Apr 20, 2009 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Lancer vs Civic Sedan Si