Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Lancer vs Civic Sedan Si

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+ holds value better
Residual value

Si = 56% @ 36 months
RA = 53% @ 36 months

Si = 36% @ 60 months
RA = 35% @ 60 months

According to Honda's website:
http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/c...Photo=&Change=

If you go for a Lancer and want close performance to the Si you have to look at the RA.

$24,305 = Si
$26,690 = RA

Same site (Honda), but Mitsu is offering $1,500-$2,500 off, plus dealers are making offers (0% APR).

Also (Honda site), there is this...

Si = 197hp @ 9700rpm and 139tq @ 6100rpm
RA = 237hp @ 6000rpm and 253tq @ 3000rpm

If you don't want to your void warranty, RA is the way to go. Aside from that there are a lot of companies offering mods and bolt-ons for the RA, which has the same engine as the Evo X (with a smaller turbo). Trust me there are plenty of mods for the RA. Oh and if you don't care about voiding warranty, AMS can add 50WHp for about $500 off the bat.

I would like to have the ralliart, but I thought it only came in the auto. I am not going to buy a sport sedan and get an auto.
The RA has a TC-SST transmission. It is a "hybrid" capable of "manual" shifting or 2 modes of "automatic" shifting (normal and sport). AMS ran their modded RA 1/4 mile in 12.9 in manual (sport) mode. There is no third pedal. You can shift manually with the stick or the paddle shifters at the wheel.

Bottom line, drive 'em both and see which one you like, or did someone already mention that.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:36 AM

Go Boosted! The Ra is better than the Si in looks, power, and all that stuff plus the warranty. The Ra is super spacious and comfortable (I sat in one when I bought my es they had it right beside my salesman's desk) and they cost about 2-3K more than the SI. The new TC-SST is pretty fast and someone said 12.9.. thats 2 seconds faster than the Si. My brother drives the Evox which pretty much the same interior wise which is very nice. everyone covered pretty much everything else..
paint
warranty
looks
power
mileage
space
TC-SST since you'd prefer man

And the Si feels like you're driving the Jefferson's DD. I'm 5'7 and test drove an 08. The Si isn't my car of choice as you can see but you might see it in a totally different light. The warranty doesn't sound to good though, 3 yr 36k? What if something happens at 50k? 60? The mileage is impressive which is the only thing that has going for it.

PERSONAL opinion: The Ra has better piece of mine, while the Si feels like you're paying more for the title of having an Si more than what you're getting out of the car itself. And i've been told that from several friends that have Si's as well as seeing them and driving them. Hope you do what better suits you though!!! All these comments are facts and opinions!!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
Residual value

Si = 56% @ 36 months
RA = 53% @ 36 months

Si = 36% @ 60 months
RA = 35% @ 60 months

According to Honda's website:
http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/c...Photo=&Change=

If you go for a Lancer and want close performance to the Si you have to look at the RA.

$24,305 = Si
$26,690 = RA

Same site (Honda), but Mitsu is offering $1,500-$2,500 off, plus dealers are making offers (0% APR).

Also (Honda site), there is this...

Si = 197hp @ 9700rpm and 139tq @ 6100rpm
RA = 237hp @ 6000rpm and 253tq @ 3000rpm

If you don't want to your void warranty, RA is the way to go. Aside from that there are a lot of companies offering mods and bolt-ons for the RA, which has the same engine as the Evo X (with a smaller turbo). Trust me there are plenty of mods for the RA. Oh and if you don't care about voiding warranty, AMS can add 50WHp for about $500 off the bat.

The RA has a TC-SST transmission. It is a "hybrid" capable of "manual" shifting or 2 modes of "automatic" shifting (normal and sport). AMS ran their modded RA 1/4 mile in 12.9 in manual (sport) mode. There is no third pedal. You can shift manually with the stick or the paddle shifters at the wheel.

Bottom line, drive 'em both and see which one you like, or did someone already mention that.

interesting find, i find it interesting that honda is trying REAL hard to make the SI look like the better choice, here ill point out a few things

for instance the price,

Base Price MSRP $24,305 $26,690
Destination Charge $670 $695
Comparably Equipped Price $24,975 $29,384

notice the BOLD numbers add up (hondas) but the ralliarts dont

thats because honda added 2k for the navigation when theres comes standard, Honda claims advantage over the competitor in this field sure it sounds good and looks good on paper why pay 2k for a navi when honda has it standard

what they dont tell you is that the mitsubishi navigation is one of the best if not the best on the market.

honda also lists the ralliart as having a " 6 Speed Manual"
they also fail to list under w heels for the ralliart "18" alloy wheels STANDARD" instead they list "Standard" for the ralliarts wheels.

Toss out the navigation and the si is only 2300 less but you get 40 more hp, awd and a whopping 114 more ft/lb of tq with the ralliart. figure in the 1500 rebate and a 500 loyalty rebate (if you have a lancer currently) and the si is only $300 more.

I think you can compare the value of the si to the ralliart or the gts, seeing that you can get an 09 gts in 5spd manual with s&s package for roughly 18500 OTD while you may have less hp (like the si compare to the ralliart) you are paying less $.

either way its a matter of preference, i like how the lancer looks, i dont think the si coupe is ugly i just like the lancer better they do a good job of making a sedan look good.

Last edited by lancer0220; Apr 21, 2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

The OP stated that one of the benefits of the GTS was the lower price so let's not talk about the RA. The GTS is a nice car for what it is, as stated above.
if your preference is power > looks go for the SI, otherwise the GTS may be the right choice.

In the end, drive both, weigh the options, and make a decision you will be happy with at the end of the day. Both cars are nice!!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EngRWW33
The OP stated that one of the benefits of the GTS was the lower price so let's not talk about the RA. The GTS is a nice car for what it is, as stated above.
if your preference is power > looks go for the SI, otherwise the GTS may be the right choice.

In the end, drive both, weigh the options, and make a decision you will be happy with at the end of the day. Both cars are nice!!
your right the op was stating benefits of the gts to the si and not the RA and his concern was $ but i was just throwing it out there the option of the RA, its important that new lancer buyers know about the RA and gts that way they dont buy the gts and 7 months later realize the RA was only $50-60 more a month and an increase of maybe $40 a month in insurance payments (yes this is me ) that of course factors in the new rebate that mitsubishi has which 7 months ago was non existant so the gts was the better choice for the $.

OP also consider waiting for the 2010 lancer to come out and try picking up an 09 gts for even cheaper , just a thought.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I've driven both and I liked the Civic Si. Actually I was expecting to feel "a lack of torque" but it doesn't feel that way at all, probably because that car is light.
However I wouldn't get one just because of the price. It's too expensive for N/A civic and the money that you pay for one puts you in the mazdaspeed3 territory (260hp).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
This isn't a Ralliart vs. Si debate, if you open the door to the Ralliart, you have to think about the WRX, MS3, GTI, Cobalt SS, Mini Cooper S, etc. which suddenly makes the field a lot more complicated and a lot less "pro-Mitsubishi".
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:43 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ambystom01
This isn't a Ralliart vs. Si debate, if you open the door to the Ralliart, you have to think about the WRX, MS3, GTI, Cobalt SS, Mini Cooper S, etc. which suddenly makes the field a lot more complicated and a lot less "pro-Mitsubishi".
this.

Civic Si > GTS

the Si is in a different class though. Comparable cars to the GTS would be a VW Rabbit, Hyundai Tiburon V6, Scion TC, Mazda 3 etc etc. Pretty much anything in the 170hp range

Now saying that, for the price of a loaded GTS you can get the base model of just about any of those cars Amby listed. I got my GTI with sat radio for $23K OTD.
So you just gotta figure out what you want. Do you want a lot of toys, or do you want power (in the case of the GTI you could have both, but i won't go down that road )
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

SI all the way

I had a friend that went from a Evo VIII to a SI (Not by choice) but he was very satisfied with the power in the SI. If your looking for a Sedan that can be user friendly for upgrades I would choose the Civic SI. If your just looking for a daily driver and not really too heavy on modding then get the Lancer.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:29 AM

People say that civic looks boring, but I think it's super sexy if u put factory bodykits and mugen style aftermarket spoiler on it.
But it costs a lot of money though..
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LuDa
its plain and simple take it from someone who had one...if you want performance get an Si. if you want a pretty car to drive around with for a daily then get the lancer dont expect to get a lancer and turn it into a fast car with bolt ons..its not that easy..
Agreed. The SI is the performance option, the lancer is the cheaper and perhaps more comfortable option. We have an 07 civic hybrid and I don't exactly enjoy the space age interior and weird shapes. The GTS is more comfortable, spacious, cheaper, and option loaded for the price.

I will say though that the new civic chassis is very tight and takes corners very well. If you want to mod and go fast, get the SI. It has an LSD, 6 speed, and a killer aftermarket. The K series engine is a screamer and a total blast to drive. Lots of people like to make fun of Vtec and civics on general, but let them drive a properly modded and tuned rsx type s or civic si and see what they say then.

Comfort or speed? Thats where you will have to make the decision. GTS is an awesome car though and better looking in my opinion. If it were a DD I would be happy with either.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

$19,000 Base Lancer GTS (-$1500 to -$2500 incentives)

$17,500- $16,500 Lancer GTS < $22,000-$24,000 Si Sedan

The GTS just isn't in the same league as the Si.

As for price comparison:

Civic Si sedan is in the same league as the Lancer RA and Subaru base WRX.

Civic EX sedan is in the same league as the Lancer GTS and Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium.

GTS vs. Si on paper goes to the Si.

Just go try them out, and yes I recommend you try out the RA, there's no harm in taking a test drive. Just my 2 cents, if you want a fair comparison between 2 comparable vehicles in the same price range.

Oh, but if you want to save about $4,500-$6,500 go for the GTS.

Last edited by sith_killer_99; Apr 21, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

I've looked at the price on a Si sedan and yea sticker was 22,000 but I can get it off of that no prob. I can't get a RA for that. or a WRX turbo for that. I've thougt about ss cobalt sedan.
The reason I started this as Si vs Gts is that I've tested the Si and have been lookin at the GTs, thats the only reason. And no **** thay don't compare as performance. I am not an idoit.
If I wanted performance for a price around 25-28,ooo I would look at low mile used STI or Evo.
I just wanted to know Why you guys bought your GTS over the Si, looking at there prices are not that much difference.

Thanks for all of your info guys
James

Last edited by James; Apr 23, 2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 09:21 AM
Former Vendor

^ get a GTI
Old Apr 23, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

The Lancer is a pretty cool car, but if you're comparing a regular Lancer to a Civic SI, I really think that the Civic is a better choice. It's just more bang for the buck. 4 cylinder all motor, I don't think any company can match Honda.

Quick Reply: Lancer vs Civic Sedan Si